• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Common Pilot Locations

Pags

N/A
pilot
CAG Five is in Japan, so you could get stationed out there from any tailhook community. The odds of getting a billet depend on what they happen to need when you're at that point in the FRS. CPRW-2 is going away this month, so one helo squadron (HSM-37) is all the Navy Air homeported in Hawaii.
There are three Helo squadrons in Japan too: HSM-51, HSM-77, and HSC-12. So if you want Japan as a Helo driver pick HSM (HSL-51 used to be a pick out of HTs so you'd leave HTs knowing you were going to Japan. Not sure if that's still the case).

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
what's the best platform for getting stationed in japan after flight school?

how about hawaii?

Another thing to consider is CAG-5 will no longer be an hour train ride from Tokyo/Yokohama in Atsugi. It's moving down to Iwakuni in the very near future. Not as good of a deal.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another thing to consider is CAG-5 will no longer be an hour train ride from Tokyo/Yokohama in Atsugi. It's moving down to Iwakuni in the very near future. Not as good of a deal.
Depends on the kind of Japan experience you're looking for. Iwakuni is also nice, albeit in a different way.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Depends on the kind of Japan experience you're looking for. Iwakuni is also nice, albeit in a different way.

Iwakuni is the Lemoore of Japan. Yes, the sushi and ramen are infinitely better than what you will get in the States, but it will be at a cost of living on a Marine base, with stupid Marine Corp rules.

Taking Iwakuni over Atsugi is like taking West Virginia over living right outside of New York City. I guess if you're a cyclist or motorcyclist then West Virginia would be cool too.

In all seriousness, Iwakuni will still be a cool opportunity, but not living just outside Tokyo cool.

popeye123

are there any other platforms besides jets and helos to get stationed in Japan as a first tour/sea tour?

how about e-2 and c-2's platforms in japan? i noticed on wikipedia they are part of CAG-5, is it easy to get selected into one of these platforms and be stationed over there?