• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mosin Nagant

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
They're selling at my local dealer for like $80, and from browsing online the 54r ammo is readily available. I don't see what the downside is... so whats the deal? I wanted to get a Mauser, but this seems like a pretty good deal too.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Buy it. Even if it's a piece of sh!t, it's $80.

I think 54R is some of the cheapest ammo available these days.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They have a tendency to be shot out; check the bore before you buy. Caveat emptor.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
+1 on checking the bore. A friend of mine bought one that could shoot a gnat's ass at 100 yards. Amazing what those old rifles can do. Even more enjoyable is the cheap ammunition and the smile on your face from using a piece of history. They have a pretty good kick.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The only problem I had with mine was the front site. It's this metal post and it was banged up some, a little crooked. I had to bend it back straight and tweak it, but once I did that it shoots like a champ.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I have a few and I love them... that said they aren't Mausers, but they are also only 75 - 80 bucks

Srp7286

really rough gun.

I have 3 of them. Sniper, Carbine, and basic infantry one.

Bolt is rough, and has a big kick, its up there with the M1

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bolt is rough, and has a big kick, its up there with the M1
I own both. It's WORSE than the M1 or SMLE by an order of magnitude. Buy a recoil pad. Thoroughly de-Cosmoline it before shooting and the bolt should behave.

Hubble

If you buy Mil-surplus ball ammo for it, stay away from the FMJ's with green tips. They're what's known as "Heavy Ball." Regular ball is for rifles - Heavy Ball is for machine guns. It's got a lot more powder, and a much heaver projectile. Which translates to a "gentle nudge" (read "hurts like hell") when you fire it.

On the other hand, if you need to shoot holes in an APC, go for it...

IronMaiden

My dad and I bought the M44 and a 91/30

Mosins are really cool, but there's one problem we had with the M44 and that's the sticky bolt. We tried cleaning the chamber, but it still stuck even after using brass rounds.

it kicks like a mule and ammo is cheap. get it!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Mosins are really cool, but there's one problem we had with the M44 and that's the sticky bolt. We tried cleaning the chamber, but it still stuck even after using brass rounds.

I had the same problem with the painted shells (the green shells). I buy only brass rounds and it doesn't stick. I wonder what it is that's making yours do that?

IronMaiden

I had the same problem with the painted shells (the green shells). I buy only brass rounds and it doesn't stick. I wonder what it is that's making yours do that?

I'm thinking it might be a head spacing issue or some burrs in the chamber, not exaclty sure though.

sucks.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I just bought an MN this week from www.jgsales.com Definitely happy with the purchase. The base price on their hex reciever Mosin Nagants is $80, you can pay an extra fee to get a "hand select". I went this route and was thoroughly impressed. All my serial numbers match. The wood, finish, and bore are in great condition.

Shot it for the first time today....you definitely need the recoil pad. I fired only 15 rounds and my shoulder is wrecked!