• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Upcoming Uniform Changes

navy09

None
Free tip for those who are forced to shell out the $$$ for these...

Get a sewing kit (or get your wife/gf) to sew the buttons down. They suck and after a few washes you can start expecting to find a handful of buttons in the bottom of the dryer.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Free tip for those who are forced to shell out the $$$ for these...

Get a sewing kit (or get your wife/gf) to sew the buttons down. They suck and after a few washes you can start expecting to find a handful of buttons in the bottom of the dryer.

Good tip! From my friends who wear the NWUs, you are lucky if you find the missing buttons.

Funny, I remember being issued a sewing kit as part of my uniform items at OCS... somebody sure knew something to think to include that. What is it that A4s says? "The more things change..."

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The trick I learned from RLP (at OCS for those who didn't go)is get a small dab of super glue and put it in the center of the button. This keeps the strings from unraveling and your buttons in place. The new model of the uniform is supposed to be more reenforced. I was told by our CMC a few months ago the Belleville's were not authorized. This was after I bought them. I decided to wait to get new ones when it became a serious issue and more of the crew began using the uniform. I was probably going to go get them within the next few weeks, but not now.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
So the NWUs don't hold a candle to flight suits... Anyone think they are more comfortable than khakis? They look like it. No shirt stays, etc.

That alone seems to be a good reason to get em'. Anyone know if they are allowed to be worn on watch or is it command specific?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the NWUs don't hold a candle to flight suits... Anyone think they are more comfortable than khakis? They look like it. No shirt stays, etc.

That alone seems to be a good reason to get em'. Anyone know if they are allowed to be worn on watch or is it command specific?
Any aviator who wears the digi-smurf uniform on duty in an aviation command should be mercilessly mocked by his/her peers. Unless that is the duty uniform written in the SOP.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I was surprised at how heavy the fabric was. I don't know if they soften up after a few washes.

My old command just authorized them for watch. But we were also required to get them.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Any aviator who wears the digi-smurf uniform on duty in an aviation command should be mercilessly mocked by his/her peers. Unless that is the duty uniform written in the SOP.

If they are more comfortable than khakis, then wouldn't it only make sense? I think it's the reason aviators wear flight suits even on days they aren't flying; they are more comfortable...

Please impart your knowledges on me if I am mistaken....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're like bags insofar as they're thick-feeling and uncomfortable until you've run them through the wash a dozen times or so. I got the elastic stitched in around the pants cuffs so as not to have to fuck around with boot blousers - this is money.

Not as fun as bags, but far superior to khakis, especially for watch/duty. All the pockets are nice. And you can go to lunch out in town in them.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I'm have been waiting for the change for warfare pins for years. Glad to see it finally take place. I will have to keep a look out for the Navadmin.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
kinda hoping these things will go the way of CMO...
It's likely that the NWU is here to stay for a while. Big Navy seems to be promoting the uniform as the best thing since sliced bread.

However, if you don't find yourself wearing wash khakis on any sort of normal basis, you can probably get away with not having the NWU.

As far as comfort goes: the two complaints I keep hearing from those wearing it are A) the boots absolutely friggin suck, and the uniform regs dictate that thou shalt wear NEX issued 9" boots B) rolling the sleeves up Army style results in a tight fit around the bicep, to the point where you are stuck with a choice between sweating your balls off or cutting off arm circulation.

Still, every enlisted guy I've talked to about it prefers them over utilities.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The trick with rolling the sleeves is to cut the reinforcing patch off the elbows. Not hard, you can do it with a good x-acto knife. Cuts way down on the tightness around the arm when rolled.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I knew it was the right choice to get black bellevilles and not the stupid useless NWU boot. Brown boots next?
I want to make sure I understand you. I will be able to wear black bellevilles when the day comes I have to wear the NWU? The issued black boots are driving me nuts and I have been contemplating ordering the bellevilles. The only thing holding me back is the fact that brown boots get issued in the future. This may just tip the scale.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I want to make sure I understand you. I will be able to wear black bellevilles when the day comes I have to wear the NWU? The issued black boots are driving me nuts and I have been contemplating ordering the bellevilles. The only thing holding me back is the fact that brown boots get issued in the future. This may just tip the scale.

Right now the only 100% authorized boots with NWUs are the crappy ones the NEX sells. Both are 9" boots, one is made by Belleville, but is reputed to be a terribly uncomfortable boot.

Both approved boots, however, don't have FOD free soles, so they aren't good for the flightdeck/line (imagine that...TFU made a product that was boat-donkey centric? you don't say....).

According to Navy Times the black flight boots will be authorized in the future. Which is awesome for sailors on the flight deck, now they won't have to change prior to walking around the ship to avoid the CMCs of the world.

navy09

None
I was told by our CMC a few months ago the Belleville's were not authorized.

I could have sworn he's been wearing them the whole time(?) Either way, no question- the NWU boots suck.

@Godspeed- If just sitting in an office, I'd go for khakis. If you're outside in less that great weather or maybe packing heat, NWUs are a better call.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
No, he has the look alike ones. They don't say Belleville on the side.