• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More than 60 units=disqualified...?

niner61

AimingHigh
Hello, I am 19 years old, currently attending a community college in northern California.
This is my second year, I will have more than 60 units by the end of Spring 2011. I really messed up in high school and regret it soooo much, but I am doing better now.

I applied to California Maritime Academy in Vallejo, CA and am very confident I will get accepted. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am taking Calculus, General Chemistry right now. I will be taking Calculus II, 1st part of Calculus based physics and General Chemistry II.

Academics is no problem for, nor is physical endurance, I can do whatever I set my mind to. My setback is my parents, they don't want me joining the military, I am of Pakistani decent(born there, dual citizenship), so I need my parents blessing. More on that some other time.

I know going to Cal Maritime(CMA) is gonna make me start at year one as a freshman, but I'm going to have more than 60 units, does that disqualify me, if yes, are there other programs? Other Options? I tried contacting Berkeley ROTC(joint w/ CMA) but they tell me to contact them personally. I can't do that 'cause I don't want my parents knowing I'm looking into this.

So I was really hoping that someone could give me some info on this.

I do look to other branches, but somehow I keep coming back to the Navy(have been since I was little). My first option I thought about was SEALs, I know I can do it if I set my mind to it. But I'm also looking into Aviation, just 'cause I want to do something with NASA later. I don't know much about aviation, but I know it's hard. That is not going to stop me if I want to do it.

Some things I hope will not interfere with my military/aviation/special warfare career..
1-I wear glasses, I am nearsighted. People tell me that I have nothing wrong with my eye sight 'cause it's so minor. Surgery?
2-I have veeeeerrrrrrrrry minor scoliosis.
3-Parents. =(

Thank You.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
You can't be a citizen of a foreign nation and serve as an officer in the United States military. It's a giant conflict of interest. To join the US Armed Forces, you'll have to give up your Pakistani citizenship.

Also, use the search function, both on the site and on Google.com. There is a metric shit-ton of information on this out there. If you still have questions after the search, then by all means post on the forum.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Had an issue with dual citizenship (UK)...dq'd for a clearance. All you have to do is write up statement effectively forfeiting your Pakistani citizenship. Then you sign it and have it signed by a witness (officer in my case). Then I took scissors to my passport and chopped the corner effectively voiding my UK citizenship. I belive it was a SECNAVINST promulgated in the late 1990s that effectively stated that officers cannot be dual citizens. The military would love to have a native Urdu speaker I'm sure, but not one who still retains citizenship.

niner61

AimingHigh
Lets say I give up my citizenship...back to original post. Any other restrictions? I really wish I could communicate with an officer but none of them do it over e-mail.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Lets say I give up my citizenship...back to original post. Any other restrictions? I really wish I could communicate with an officer but none of them do it over e-mail.

Eyesight is has to fall within certain range. Poke around this website:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/Pages/default.aspx

Also, as far as parents are concerned, ignore advice like "cut the imbelical cord you pussy!". My mom, brother and sister all had reservations about joining the military ranging "you don't know what you're getting into" to questions about my motivations. Research the military, know what you want to do and how the career progresses, discuss opportunities that the military offers that you wouldn't see in the civilian world and your commitment to being part of the military. Don't approach them saying that you want to fly jets. At the end of they day, they're your parents and parents worry. It's on you to convince them that this is the route for you. Bear in mind, most people don't understand the depth and breadth of opportunities that the military provides and why it can be such an appealing decision. To them, it's all about Privates cleaning latrines and My Lai.

I will say this: there is no reason you can't go talk to NROTC class advisor in person. Do your parents follow you around all the time or do you have a GPS chip implanted in your arm? Hell, drag them in to grill the LT themselves. My mom always appreciated the opportunity to talk to a no shit USN officer vice my enthusiastic unwashed self.

Wudgles

pilot
Also, as far as parents are concerned, ignore advice like "cut the imbelical cord you pussy!".

Bullshit.

I agree that it's fine for parents to have reservations, and I do hope you adress their concerns in a constructive manner (+1 on having them go talk to an LT with you). However, if you don't have the sack to join the United States Navy because your parents don't want you to, then you goddamn sure don't belong in it. Mommy and Daddy won't be there to hold your hand when young sailors are relying on you. We are not a DoD sponsored babysitting program.

My father was a career Naval Aviator, and you can bet your ass my mother had reservations about me joining the Navy. Hell, they both did. Did my mother come around? Yes. You know why? Because she knew my goal was to be a Naval Officer, and that's what I was going to be no matter what. This isn't a job for the faint of heart or weak of character. If you want to spend your whole life being safe and sound just because your parents want you to, do us all a favor and manage a carwash.

Secondly, it's "umbilical."

OP, my advice is you should be frank and open with your parents about everything. I don't doubt that having to give up citizenship is a monumental decision, and it's one I think should be carefully approached. No matter their personal opinions, the feedback you gain from involving your parents in the process with give you a different perspective. If at the end of the day, you decide the US Navy isn't for you, then no harm, no foul, and I wish you the best. If you decide to go through with it, then more power to you. Best of luck.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Bullshit.

I agree that it's fine for parents to have reservations, and I do hope you adress their concerns in a constructive manner (+1 on having them go talk to an LT with you). However, if you don't have the sack to join the United States Navy because your parents don't want you to, then you goddamn sure don't belong in it. Mommy and Daddy won't be there to hold your hand when young sailors are relying on you.

My father was a career Naval Aviator, and you can bet your ass my mother had reservations about me joining the Navy. Hell, they both did. Did my mother come around? Yes. You know why? Because she knew my goal was to be a Naval Officer, and that's what I was going to be. If you want to spend your whole life being safe and sound just because your parents want you to, do us all a favor and manage a carwash.

Secondly, it's "umbilical cord."

First off, I agree on the point that you shouldn't be looking to your mom and dad for permission to join the military. That's absurd and nobody should be looking to their parents for approval for any adult decision, military or otherwise.My issue however is that the gut reaction on this forum to someone having trouble getting their parents/family to support them, or evening asking if others had this problem is "sack up!".

From the minute I joined NROTC, I knew this is what I wanted to do. I was committed, even with my family nagging me about my decision. It sucked because I thought that my family wasn't behind me. Did that mean I was going to quit and do what my family wanted me to do? No, not even for a second. It made me want to convince them, show them why I wanted to a Naval Officer. The end result is that in May 2012 when, I take my oath, I know that they are behind me. And it won't be because I said "screw you guys, I do what I want!", it's because I showed them the light.

I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that he has the resolve to join the military, but wants to know that his parents are behind him...thus my suggestion to ignore the "sack up" advice. In this instance it isn't helpful.

Wudgles

pilot
First off, I agree on the point that you shouldn't be looking to your mom and dad for permission to join the military. That's absurd and nobody should be looking to their parents for approval for any adult decision, military or otherwise.My issue however is that the gut reaction on this forum to someone having trouble getting their parents/family to support them, or evening asking if others had this problem is "sack up!".

From the minute I joined NROTC, I knew this is what I wanted to do. I was committed, even with my family nagging me about my decision. It sucked because I thought that my family wasn't behind me. Did that mean I was going to quit and do what my family wanted me to do? No, not even for a second. It made me want to convince them, show them why I wanted to a Naval Officer. The end result is that in May 2012 when, I take my oath, I know that they are behind me. And it won't be because I said "screw you guys, I do what I want!", it's because I showed them the light.

I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that he has the resolve to join the military, but wants to know that his parents are behind him...thus my suggestion to ignore the "sack up" advice. In this instance it isn't helpful.

I think we're seeing two distinct halves of a whole picture. I completely agree with you on getting family support. However, I think that in certain instances, it IS the right decision for people to cut the apron strings. There's a whole wide world out there. The part I highlighted in bold from your comment is what I meant by "sack up." If OP really wants it, just like you did, then he should be willing to, in this order, (a) put his foot down and own the decision (b) show them why it's a great decision. You can't have one without the other, as they say.

Obviously, I wasn't hoping the OP would just give his family the bird, burn bridges, and ride off into the sunset.

niner61

AimingHigh
I understand what both of you are trying to say, and I agree. I would say the comment "....that his parents are behind him..." is right on the ball. My parents mean a lot to me, and it wouldn't be possible for me to go on with my life, no matter how successful I am, knowing that my parents are not behind me. I also am not able to just give into my parents ideas about being in an office and wearing suit. I have already kind of gone against their wished because I am involved in my local police dept. as a Cadet. Just thought I should mention that. I guess I still want to be a part of the family and not bring disgrace upon them, I don't think thats too much to ask for. It's mostly my mom, my dad would deffinatley be okay with it, as long as I finish my education, which I WILL.

Back on topic, what's the diff. between NROTC and BDCP? Which one is a better option.

Also, will my minnnnnnnnnnnor scoliosis affect anything?

Thanks.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I understand what both of you are trying to say, and I agree. I would say the comment "....that his parents are behind him..." is right on the ball. My parents mean a lot to me, and it wouldn't be possible for me to go on with my life, no matter how successful I am, knowing that my parents are not behind me. I also am not able to just give into my parents ideas about being in an office and wearing suit. I have already kind of gone against their wished because I am involved in my local police dept. as a Cadet. Just thought I should mention that. I guess I still want to be a part of the family and not bring disgrace upon them, I don't think thats too much to ask for. It's mostly my mom, my dad would deffinatley be okay with it, as long as I finish my education, which I WILL.

Back on topic, what's the diff. between NROTC and BDCP? Which one is a better option.

Also, will my minnnnnnnnnnnor scoliosis affect anything?

Thanks.

BDCP - sign contract/take oath and receive a monthly stipend with service selection guaranteed...go to OCS afterwards

NROTC - during school, with required summer training...no guarantee for service selection but also no OCS. My 2 cents...I personally prefer ROTC as it allows to me interact with officers, prior-e's and staff NCO's. I also think it allows you the opportunity to mature and show your officer aptitude with the guidance of people who've been there and done that. Plus, making a good impression means that you have been batting for you whenver you have a waiver issue that won't go away, service selection (eval scores are a big component of your service selection) or are having trouble in a class. Another positive is that the day I graduate from college is the day I commission.

Wudgles

pilot
BDCP is a great deal if you can get it. Monthly stipend, be a regular college student, then go to OCS for 12 weeks already knowing what you're gonna do in the Navy. Pretty big pluses.

NROTC, at least at my unit, was amazing. I got to go to a Top 20 university for next to free (paid ~$5k a year, which is 1/10th of the cost). Met amazing people, have a great network of friends throughout the Navy and (to a certain extent) the USMC, got to go on some cool summer cruises, and got commissioned the day I graduated in front of my closest friends and family WITHOUT going to OCS.

Both are great options, it just depends on what you would personally prefer. All commissioning sources produce great officers.

Per your scoliosis question, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION first. Seriously, we're not here to hand out information that's already been hashed out a thousand times. Also, there's a Doc's Corner part of the forum, which would probably be the appropriate place to start the search and ask a question.

niner61

AimingHigh
Thank you guys for the advice. It has helped. I researched the scoliosis and it seems like I will be fine.

I'm confused about one thing.

...already knowing what you're gonna do in the Navy.

Now based on what I've heard before, I doubt I am guaranteed a Navy Pilot/NFO position. Is that what you meant by the above quote?

Also I read peoples posts about how they get rejected, and as I'm reading I see their major and it's like psychology or history and stuff that is not very technical at all. My major being Mechanical Engineering, can I assume I'm a little better off then those majoring in those mentioned above?

I am going to finish Calc I/II and Calc based Physcs I before I transfer to Cal Maritime next Fall.

Thank you for your time.

Wudgles

pilot
I'm confused about one thing.

Now based on what I've heard before, I doubt I am guaranteed a Navy Pilot/NFO position. Is that what you meant by the above quote?

Also I read peoples posts about how they get rejected, and as I'm reading I see their major and it's like psychology or history and stuff that is not very technical at all. My major being Mechanical Engineering, can I assume I'm a little better off then those majoring in those mentioned above?

I Google'd "BDCP" and came up with about 15 useful sites that describe the program in detail. I'm not shitting you when I say:

FOR THE LAST TIME, SEARCH FOR YOUR OWN GODDAMN INFO FIRST, THEN ASK QUESTIONS. It's aggravating that you're asking the most basic of questions that a .27 second google search could answer.

Seriously, it's not that hard.