• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Questions about MEPS

schwarti

Contributor
Unrelated questions (but still about MEPS) - has anyone had to bring a college transcript or get a psych evaluation at MEPS before? The first, my recruiter says he's never heard of before. The second, I just want to know a little bit about - not worried, just curious. :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
MEPS blows. I went to the MEPS in phoenix (same building as my NRD) and I was far enough away that they put me up in a hotel (a NICE room, and by myself). I was downstairs by 0500 and probably didn't get a ride back to my motorcycle until 1300 or 1400. Bottom line, take the day off. The things that were time consuming for me were: BP was borderline high due to lack of sleep and nerves so I had to come back for a retake. Waiting for the semi-present sgt to watch us piss (and the countless dudes chugging water and jumping to coax a shy bladder). CONSTANTLY having to go back to the eye exam section since they kept leaving out tests required for a commission since they didn't realize I was an OCS candidate and just general confusion about where I was supposed to be/cattle scenario.

I probably had to say 100 times that day that I was an OFFICER candidate and that I needed certain tests they left out. My advice is to be proactive. I asked if I was done a few times and sure enough, they said "oh, officer? You need to go back for another eye test. They left such and such out...". If you want to go there once, make sure you get everything done you need done.

The staff WILL be curt and pushy to the point of being borderline rude. This is (allegedly) due to the fact that they are trying to push these recruits through quickly so as to limit the thought process of where they are going to prevent too many from backing out (hence the early wakeup, rushed exams, and swearing in the same day, ship out the same day or next).

I was overly paranoid but I didn't really bring that much. The issue I needed a waiver for was handled before (or so I thought) and my recruiter was in the same building so I didn't think I needed to worry. I brought US passport (citizenship proof...dual citizen), other ID, my medical pre-screen and I think that was it. If you have waiver issues like PRK or stuff with associated paperwork that you have, bring it. Better safe then sorry. You do NOT want to go back. It sucks. Bring a book (if it doesn't fvck up your vision) or something to keep you entertained and get some sleep! I didn't and it made my day worse (plus the 5 hour motorcycle ride back to CA after....).

Best of luck. MEPS sucks, just like some other things in this process, but it's just another hurdle you jump to get closer to your commission and your future career.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
Also, don't forget to tell them you need a prostate check because Navy and Marine Officer School candidates require them.;)

c'mon thats not nice.

Unrelated questions (but still about MEPS) - has anyone had to bring a college transcript or get a psych evaluation at MEPS before? The first, my recruiter says he's never heard of before. The second, I just want to know a little bit about - not worried, just curious.
Ya he told me to bring my college transcripts too . . . I wonder why maybe because i was "diagnosed" with ADD. and the psych thing. I mean the way i see it, anyone that grew up with money (rich parents) sent their kids to a shrink because they a) didn't want to deal with whatever is bothering the kids themslevles b) wanted them to get through it with professional help to be mentally 'healthy'
you don't see "poor" kids in 'therapy' or ne thing like that

schwarti

Contributor
Concur, jdawg. The area I'm from, you're crazy if you don't put your kids on some kind of pill. What a load of crap. Don't get me wrong, there are people who really need that kind of thing - but most of the people I know who take meds for depression or ADD or whatever don't actually need it - and I definitely include myself. You're depressed? No shit, you're a teenager and life sucks. I'm just pissed that it took me this long to figure that one out. :icon_rage

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
i feel like the pre-med screening form is more outlined for the enlisted side of the house and that everything on there is black/white no grey. I know they have a place where u can explain sh!t but its still hard to convince them that you are good to go. and the fact that i passed MEPS in 04 and have been healthy ever since and they still want the SAME documents that i gave them 3 years ago is rediculous.

I HATE MEPS

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
You should have said "ON YOUR FACE, PIG!" down, up.... down, up...

And for any of you who don't know, officers CANNOT make enlisted personnel do pushups just becasue they want to, or for any other reason for that matter (outside of boot camp). That is not a legal form of discipline.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
And for any of you who don't know, officers CANNOT make enlisted personnel do pushups just becasue they want to, or for any other reason for that matter (outside of boot camp). That is not a legal form of discipline.

Thanks for clearing that up.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor

How about instead I make him be my coffee getter? Nevermind, I dont know what would end up in my drink:D

I figured the push-up thing was not to have been taken seriously, unless he wants to see me get my ass handed to me...

Goob83

None
Officer applicants at San jose meps are done around 11 as a rule.
FYI the paperwork you submit ID's you as an Officer applicant and you should not have to push it but as was stated and I know to be the case in San DOG it is a cluster. ALL meps vary depending on Navy Liasion and MEPS control desk folks. I sent two guys to MEPs san diego one which had done s physical at san jose and they were both treated like shit and very upset with the process and people working there. they actually lost one record and wanted the guy to come back and do it over AHAHAHHA. if you are lucky enough to have your recruiter around when you clear meps have him or her look at the documnet to ensure they are correct. HAHA IF THEY KNOW HOW TO READ THEM? I meet all my applicants once they clear MEPS, but i actually care unlike most OR's.
Basically, MEPS SUX IT SUCKED 25 years ago when I did it and it sucks NOW and i bet forever will suck. GET R DONE AND MOVE ON

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
I just went to MEPS a couple of days ago. I think that the monotiny is realy overrated. I got there at 0600 and was out by 1100. There's basicly a checklist of stuff to do: Eyes, ears, pee test, and physical. Once those are done they just put my info in a computor and said I was good to go.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
When you non-priors make it to the fleet, respect your enlisted guys and they will respect you. Don't respect them, and they will not respect you, but respect only the uniform that your wearing. There is a big difference. Acting like you are god is for academy guys. (J/K, some of the coolest pilots I flew with in the navy were academy guys).

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
When you non-priors make it to the fleet, respect your enlisted guys and they will respect you. Don't respect them, and they will not respect you, but respect only the uniform that your wearing. There is a big difference. Acting like you are god is for academy guys. (J/K, some of the coolest pilots I flew with in the navy were academy guys).

Good advice and hope I can earn the respect. As a prior, would you or do you notice differences between OCS, Academy or NROTC grads?? I assume it varys from person to person, but I know that they are 3 different ways to get the same gold bars and didn't know if there was 3 distinct personality traits for the fresh 0-1. Not trying to start a Academy vs. OCS vs. NROTC, just curious.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's a great question and one I'd like to know, too. The only advice I've heard thus far is to respect your NCO's and try to get on their good side.