• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Questions about MEPS

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Good advice and hope I can earn the respect. As a prior, would you or do you notice differences between OCS, Academy or NROTC grads?? I assume it varys from person to person, but I know that they are 3 different ways to get the same gold bars and didn't know if there was 3 distinct personality traits for the fresh 0-1. Not trying to start a Academy vs. OCS vs. NROTC, just curious.

Skim,

In my 5 years, all my pilots and maintenance officers were either academy or OCS, never knew an NROTC guy. There was one pilot I had that was an academy guy and he was the most arrogant guy I have ever met. He would belittle enlisted guys whenever he got the chance. I hated flying with him as aircrew, it was alwasy so uncomfortable. He was the type where you continuosly had to watch what you say. But other than that I had about half and half as far as OCS and academy and my three favorite pilots were all academy guys. They were really personable and down to earth. Those were the guys letting me get stick time, trying to help me accomplish my goal of becoming a pilot. However, I do have to give an honorable mention to my OIC at Det 5. He was a prior enlisted E-7 before he got picked up for pilot. He let me sit in the right seat for a carrier landing (Kitty Hawk) and it was the most awesome experience of my life. There were no passengers on board and only a few hundered pounds of cargo onboard with great weather. (Wonder how many enlisted guys can say they've taken a trap in the front?) He was awesome. But yeah, for the most part, officers treat their people good.

-Ken

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And for any of you who don't know, officers CANNOT make enlisted personnel do pushups just becasue they want to, or for any other reason for that matter (outside of boot camp). That is not a legal form of discipline.

Well, Ken. It was a joke.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
BigIron,

My reply was not to be taken seriously either. However, those who have no military experience may not know...

collegegrad

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all your input and advice; I went to MEPS last Friday and everything went well.

Yes, it was a fairly long morning but for me, it wasn't too bad. I began the morning at 0400 checking out of my hotel, eating breakfast with others who were going to MEPS, and getting to the facility by 0515 (although everything didn't get started till 0545). Everything was complete just past 1100. The staff was generally friendly and helpful. The actual physical sucked of course, but the doctors/staff didn't like it much either - so they ensured everything went quickly and efficiently.

I was a bit surprised there were few applicants for officer commissions; in a room of about 45 people there was only two, myself included, applying for a commission. Also, I was initially unaware that guys would be leaving for boot camp at the end of MEPS, and I was also unaware that those enlisting would choose their occupations and be sworn in that same day. There was a lot of talk about officer applicants being more accommodated: I didn't see much evidence of this (and I was just fine with that) and understandably those with prior service did get to go first for final evaluations.

A few words of advice: when filling out the forms, use black ink rather than blue ink - several staff members noted this when I handed the forms to them. No need to bring an iPod - the staff tells everybody to turn off all electronic devices; a book, or better yet a magazine, will suffice. Also, I didn't need my college transcript or papers from past vision exams (though I brought them thinking I might).

schwarti

Contributor
Would you mind listing exactly what you DID bring, in terms of documentation? Still not sure exactly what I'll need...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The only documentation I needed at MEPS was photo ID, and it was the only documentation I had with me.

speedroller

Rangers
I am scheduled to go to MEPS tomorrow, my OR says that I should not eat anything the night prior and morning of. Do I need to be fasting? From what I read here, not the case.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
I am scheduled to go to MEPS tomorrow, my OR says that I should not eat anything the night prior and morning of. Do I need to be fasting? From what I read here, not the case.

My OR told me the same thing, but it turned out to be unnecessary. Definitely eat something small the morning of.

Reactions: RMP