• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More Convicted Felons Allowed to Enlist

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Okay, I can see letting some people in with MINOR crimes, but felons? In order to become a felon, that person had to of done something seriously wrong.

For example, in order to become a felon for stealing, one has to steal something pretty valuable, not just a pack of gum or a CD. Im talking something worth over a thousand bucks. I don't know about anyone else, but I most certainly wouldn't want to be standing alongside or above a convicted felon.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the numbers justify it. Seriously, manslaughter and sex crimes?!

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Okay, I can see letting some people in with MINOR crimes, but felons? In order to become a felon, that person had to of done something seriously wrong.

Not so, I have a couple of friends who super-glued another friend's sh!t (slippers, stapler, etc.) to his wall and our RA ended up overreacting and calling the cops. The cop said they could each be charged with a felony but wouldn't be since the victim didn't really care all that much.

I do agree with you in the respect that I don't want to be serving alongside certain people that commit more serious crimes though.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Not so, I have a couple of friends who super-glued another friend's sh!t (slippers, stapler, etc.) to his wall and our RA ended up overreacting and calling the cops. The cop said they could each be charged with a felony but wouldn't be since the victim didn't really care all that much.

I do agree with you in the respect that I don't want to be serving alongside certain people that commit more serious crimes though.

Were you friends convicted? No, they weren't even charged. In your friends' situation, if they were charged with breaking and entering, burglary, criminal damage to property or whatever the charges may be, there is no way in hell a DA would have not cut them a deal like community service or such in return for the crime not being put on their record or dropping it to a lower offense.

Okay seriously, I used to work in law enforcement and although someone might have potential to be charged with a felony it is highly unlikely someone would actually be convicted of it for a minor or first time offense. Especially in your friends situation, the cop was trying to scare them and had absolutely no intention of actually charging them with a felony, I see it done everyday.

phrogpilot73

I don't know about anyone else, but I most certainly wouldn't want to be standing alongside or above a convicted felon.

Here's the thing - you may never know, and after you find out - you may be surprised how your feelings change. I knew a guy with a felony conviction waiver, but I didn't find out about it for quite some time. There's still no one I'd rather have standing next to me in combat. Stand up guy, who proved that his waiver was well worth it.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Making terrorist statements... is waiverable?! :eek:

I might be wrong, but I think making terroristic statements is simply making threats. For example if someone says they are going to kill someone or if they say they are going to "blow this place up." Things of that nature which are typically said when someone is really mad. I can see those being waiverable.

joemcspeed

Here's the thing - you may never know, and after you find out - you may be surprised how your feelings change. I knew a guy with a felony conviction waiver, but I didn't find out about it for quite some time. There's still no one I'd rather have standing next to me in combat. Stand up guy, who proved that his waiver was well worth it.

My sentiments exactly.... typically these guys who have gotten in and want this lifestyle are standup warriors leaving their past behind and have a bizarre firm loyalty

schwarti

Contributor
I might be wrong, but I think making terroristic statements is simply making threats. For example if someone says they are going to kill someone or if they say they are going to "blow this place up." Things of that nature which are typically said when someone is really mad. I can see those being waiverable.

Good point - I didn't think that sort of thing would actually result in a felony convinction, but I could see how that might happen.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have some felons that haven't been caught yet working amongst us, so I don't sweat the issue too much.

If it's a waiverable offense, then it's a waiverable offense.

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
Caution: :skull_125ANECDOTAL:skull_125

A kid I grew up with in the suburbs of Denver...he was a really nice guy. We played baseball and football together. He seemed normal. His home life, however, was less than ideal. I remember one time his mom was dropping him off at school, and she ran over his foot. No one else saw it, and he toughed out the day with a broken foot. His dad came to our practices and called the kid an idiot when he made mistakes (We were about 11...so that's just dumb- at any age, really). He ended up running with a pretty bad crowd through our teenage years. Spent a couple of months in jail. He TURNED HIS LIFE AROUND after he was allowed into the Army. While I don't think that it's the role of government (read: US military) to rehabilitate ex-cons, I do believe that the people who want to join after getting into trouble in their adolescence are doing so for good reasons. It appears to me from what I've seen that they are very into the cause that they have taken up. While there are going to be d-bags that come into the military with a criminal waiver, you could probably say that there are plenty that come in without a criminal waiver.

No one deserves a second chance, but some are lucky enough to get one.

my 2¢

brownshoe

Contributor
Yeah, really ... in the good ol' days, the worst you saw in the new recruits was auto theft. :D

Ahhhh ... progress.

Came in handy though. Especially when you needed an unauthorized vehicle from the motor pool or the GSE shop. Me, never! Well there was this one time, um maybe two times. Okay, okay all the time… We all did it! We didn’t need a car thief though; the keys were always left in the ignitions!?!:)

Had the duty, went out to get our duty truck, and it was nowhere to be found. I just walked next door and borrowed VF-45’s pickup for my run. (Box lunches for a det.) Hey… what? I put it back where I found it!;)

I know you’re kidding. But Judge’s would often offer service time to jail time in our day for lesser offenders. Served with a couple of those guys. Good men that turned around. I’m not kidding about absconding with unauthorized vehicles though. :)Don’t make me tell you about the gas.:eek:

Steve