• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

more Apple stuff..

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
My 4 year old 20 gb iPod finally died, and Apple has a program where they'll take your old iPod and give you a 10% discount on a new one. What isn't widely known is that they'll stack your military discount on your purchase. So, today I got the new 16 gb nano for $199, got 6% off that price ($187) for being military, and then another 10% off the original $199 for the iPod I turned in. The iPod came out to about $167. They also gave me a 12% discount on the Apple Care Plan.

A little more money than I wanted to spend overall, but less than I would have spend without the discounts.

v/r
Rugger, hates to spend money

stickygdm

pilot
My 4 year old 20 gb iPod finally died, and Apple has a program where they'll take your old iPod and give you a 10% discount on a new one. What isn't widely known is that they'll stack your military discount on your purchase. So, today I got the new 16 gb nano for $199, got 6% off that price ($187) for being military, and then another 10% off the original $199 for the iPod I turned in. The iPod came out to about $167. They also gave me a 12% discount on the Apple Care Plan.

A little more money than I wanted to spend overall, but less than I would have spend without the discounts.

v/r
Rugger, hates to spend money

((CNX Question!)Did you do this through an brick and morter Apple Store or through strore.apple.com? My aging 3G 15gb iPod (runs on steam) is nearing the end of its service life and I've been thinking of picking up a refurbished iPod through the online govt store.))

I found my own answer on the apple site: http://www.apple.com/environment/recycling/ Look's like this is a in store program only and not available online. In the past I was very happy to receive the govt/mil discount in the mall Apple Store.

And I agree with some need to go on cruise to learn the finer movie quotes! I through out a Caddyshack quote during a debrief and receieved a dumb look in return! Caddyshack!! that's and easy one! May have to start a remedial roll-em training program in the squadron!

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
The iPod recycling discount (10%) is only good @ brick and mortar Apple stores, but I believe you can get the govt discount online or in person.

If you do bring your iPod to an Apple store, you'll be an instant super star - my click wheel iPod was passed around like a sacred relic.

Since I"m inherently frugal, my first inclination was to get the refurbished 4 gb Nano. But, my inner shopaholic won out and rationalized that the extra memory (and extra super shiny case...) would be worth spending more money since I'll be taking a couple government sponsored field trips in the near future. (also why I broke down and bought Apple Care..)

v/r
Rugger, loves shiny objects

stickygdm

pilot
Someday I'll bring my Mac128K/MacPlus to a store just to hear them say, "...what is that!?"

I'm hoping Santa Clause brings me a new iPod Touch so I need to school the Mrs. up on this exchange and mil discount thing so she can coordinate with him. ...Santa's on AW.com isn't he? He's an aviator! I think he gets some night traps every year.

snake020

Contributor
Most Apple Store employees I've met are uber Apple geeks. They would probably ask you if you wanted to buy the 3.5" expansion disk drive for your Apple IIc.

Lobster

Someday I'll bring my Mac128K/MacPlus to a store just to hear them say, "...what is that!?"

I'm hoping Santa Clause brings me a new iPod Touch so I need to school the Mrs. up on this exchange and mil discount thing so she can coordinate with him. ...Santa's on AW.com isn't he? He's an aviator! I think he gets some night traps every year.

Doesn't he hold the record for most night traps ever? I mean how many does he bag in a night, bad weather, good weather, the man in red does it all :p

MasterBates

Santa also gets his share of Cat Shots. Maybe he will come ride the CUBI CAT.

navy_50016.jpg

That was my Christmas card last year.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

Just upgraded my grandparents from an iMac rev B to a Mini.

"Well, what are you going to do with the old iMac?"

Macquarium: the final upgrade.

macquarium1.png

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
(also why I broke down and bought Apple Care..)

I would highly suggest getting the Care plan if you are going to buy an iPod. My wife and I have had really bad luck with the hard drives on every iPod we have ever owned (working with a second set as the first two were stolen). We each have a click-wheel version (her's is the older U2 iPod), and they both had to go back to repair several times within the first year. I'm kicking myself now, because her warranty just expired and I'm waiting for the day that her iPod takes a shit. Being the big U2 fan that she is, she doesn't want any other type of iPod (maybe that's a good thing because you can buy them refurbished online for pretty cheap, comparatively). I wouldn't be surprised to find our names on an Apple Trouble-maker's List for how many times we've had to request service.

Although we might just have bad luck. And I don't think there are that many issues with the flash-drive versions.