• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moral Waiver

kelpbass91

Hi all,

First post here but have learned an immense amount of information scanning this website. I am a recent college graduate and after being talked out of joining many times I have decided that there is nothing I would rather do then be an officer in the US military. I am interested in SWO and Supply, as I have bad vision and have always thought that aviation was not an option.

Here is my question I have 3 separate offenses (2 open container tickets, 1 disturbing the peace all punishable by fines under 500 dollars) which all qualified under non-traffic violations, which I found on a defense department publication on the internet (which I believe the navy may use as well), which states that you are allowed up to 4 non-traffic violations without a waiver.

After meeting with an Army recruiter because he was the quickest to get back to me, I was told that OCS wasn't an option due to these offenses. He said that it wasn't an army policy, it was because I would be un-eligible to get a secret clearance . I asked if I could at-least apply and he said that I couldn't. After taking the ASVAB and scoring an 87 the recruiter passed me over to another NCO who said the same thing and that I should explore other branches if my mind is set on entering as an officer.

Now I went in to the meeting knowing that the Army Recruiter would steer me in the direction of enlisting, so that is why I am so skeptical with the answer he gave me that I couldn't even apply. It's one thing to be told that I probably wouldn't get selected but another to be told that I can't even apply. Does anybody know if this is actually the case? Is it the recruiters way of steering me to enlist or are they being honest?

Any insight on were to go next or if there is anything I can do about having the door slammed on the process?
Have not talked to my Navy OR about this specifically, just a Ensign fresh out of OCS who is stationed at the OR office temporarily who took my information down ( have not been able to get ahold of anybody at the OR office for 3 weeks but that is a different subject)

Thanks for any insight

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome. First off, were you talking to an Army OFFICER recruiter? Unlikely you'd get denied a Secret clearance based on 3 misdemeanor charges. Clearly if you had a FELONY, it would be a show stopper for commissioning in any service. In the future, only trust what a recruiter (Officer or Enlisted) shows you in WRITING. Pretend you are from the "SHOW ME" state of Missouri. At least you've done your homework and know what the DOD's policy on offenses. Continue to explore your opportunities, and take what you want, not necessarily what you are offered. Good luck.

romoth

What was the outcome of said offenses were you charged or also found guilty? I was Pro Rec Y in December with two (Charges), I had to write some statements about what happened and bring in some court records. In my case one charge was dropped by the judge the other deferred.

exNavyOffRec

I would talk to an OR, now I have no idea about your GPA so you may have other things that would keep you from applying, if I rec'd a call from an applicant I called them back ASAP.

kelpbass91

Thanks for the replies,

As far as I know the army and AF doesn't have officer recruiters.

On each citation they were not marked misdemeanor, only infraction.

As far as my stats
24 M
3.35 GPA BS Business Administration Finance one "F" that I might be able to get expunged due to changing majors might raise my GPA to 3.4

A few non leadership roles in school clubs full time employment and a non traditional route to degree ( cc transfer to cal state school) so extra curricular activities at school unfortunately took a back seat.
9 Years work experience commercial fishing industry , licensed merchant marine, 5 years supervisory role.

As far as talking to navy OR, I would imagine that they are extremely busy but I have been trying to follow up with the one assigned to my area for about 3 weeks now and have not gotten a pick up on the other line or a call back. I want to be proactive and get this process going, what should I do untill I get ahold of him? Study for OAR, gather LOR'S and all my transcripts etc.?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hold off on the LORs and transcripts. Study for the ASTB right now and if you had any medical history (broken bones, surgeries, etc.) to get the medical documents from the doctor/hospital. If you don't hear back from an OR in a few days give them a call and/or swing by the office again.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
It's possible you were issued civil citations and/or non-criminal violations of a municipal ordinance(s).

In Florida, as an example, open-container is only a non-criminal, non-moving, civil infraction under statute.
Disorderly conduct under Florida statutes is a second or first degree misdemeanor.

So, you may not even be in misdemeanor land. Talk to an attorney from the jurisdiction where you received the citations and have your record handy to refute any recruiter sea-lawyering. It could save you from making a serious recruiting blunder.

good luck.

exNavyOffRec

It's possible you were issued civil citations and/or non-criminal violations of a municipal ordinance(s).

In Florida, as an example, open-container is only a non-criminal, non-moving, civil infraction under statute.
Disorderly conduct under Florida statutes is a second or first degree misdemeanor.

So, you may not even be in misdemeanor land. Talk to an attorney from the jurisdiction where you received the citations and have your record handy to refute any recruiter sea-lawyering. It could save you from making a serious recruiting blunder.

good luck.

The recruiters will have to pull the records via a police record check to get the actual charges and what it was pled to, no reason for him to spend money on an attorney

kelpbass91

Was able to get ahold of my OR. He recommended a study guide called ASTB-E. I've been doing a lot of research on the ASTB on here and other places and I'm not exactly sure which book he is specifically talking about, so I bought the Arco Officer Canidate test book as it seems to be the highest rated, although that seems for aviation, anyone know if this one is good for the OAR specifically?

Here is the guide I found regarding moral waivers if anyone else is in the same predicament as me. Also can anyone out there confirm whether or not this is used by NRC and if it is, does it only apply to enlisted?

https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2010/05/23/moral-waivers-for-enlistment