• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Montgomery GI Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryphon

Hello everybody,

Had a question for you all. I recently was sworn in to the Navy and am slated to start OCS(Supply) in a couple of months here. When I went to go sign everything, I was asked if I wanted to take part in the Montgomery GI Bill. My processor didn't explain it too well but he did say that basically I would contribute $100 a month for 12 months and thats it. And out of that I get a certain amount for higher education. What are most of you saying to this? Yes or No? I mean I am going into Supply and I thought they paid for your grad school anyway.

I don't know whats going on. Does this GI bill help for example if I decide to leave the Navy after my time commitment is done or what? Currently I am a civilian who graduated with a business degree two years ago. Thanks for all help.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The GI Bill will be avail to you for up to 10 years after you leave the military. On top of that, there is legislation being considered that would make those benefits avail to your spouse or dependents. The GI Bill is a great investment because not everyone wants/is able to participate in the USN Grad degree programs. The GI Bill will let you do it on your own time, without incurring an obligation, or after you get out. Overall, small investment for a huge potential return!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Get the GI BILL!

What you are experiencing is normal. Recruiters don't explain it well. At OCS, the drill instructors told us it was a waste of money. They were wrong. The GI Bill is one of the best bargains you will ever get.

For your $1200 investment, you will get roughly $1000 per month for 36 months - 30 times your original investment. You can even go further: for an extra $600 "top up", they will increase your payments by $150 to over $1150 per month.

You never know what you are going to do when you get out. It is a great opportunity, and insurance for your future. Sign up for the GI Bill without hesitation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DO IT ! The rules have changed since I used my GI bill, but as an exmple: I got an airline pilot type-rating, a flight engineer rating, and a "real" (yes, real) Master's Degree. I never did use the home mortgage portion.

Try this link for more info: GI BILL INFORMATION It will also answer many of your questions -- probably a better source than a processor or recruiter.

Great investment even if it costs you something up front these days ... congratulations on joining and good luck.
Educseal.jpg

golden76

GI Bill is the best investment that I've made in my life, and will give you a better return on investment than anything you'll ever see. I went in enlisted in 97' and contibuted to the GI Bill and Navy College Fund (another bonus that is available for some programs that you must ask about) and got out in 2001. I went and got my Bachelors, just graduated in Dec 2004 and now applying to OCS. For my measley $1200 contribution in 1997 (only $100 mo. for a year) I got paid just over $45,000 over a 36 month period for going back to school. The cool thing is, is that you can still be qualified to receive Federal Pell Grants and other scholarships. The GI Bill is tax free and is paid to you, nor your school, so you can do whatever you want with the money. For me, I received Federal Pell Grants on top of my GI Bill and Navy College Fund, on top of that I received some academic scholarships (just for maintaining a 3.0 GPA). Needless to say, with my GI Bill money I bought a beautiful Harley, New Explorer, and used some for a downpayment on a nice condo in West Palm Beach, FL. Even if you don't end up using the GI Bill, now they are making it so your spouse or dependents can use it. You'd have to be a complete moron not to spend $1200 on something that is going to give you 50x what you paid into it.

thumper

Get the Bill, get the 'top up'. Also, there is a bill that would make it a free program (no $1200), retro back to 9/11/2001.

golden76

even if its not a free program, what moron wouldn't invest $1200 bucks for $60k+ investment in education that you, your spouse, or dependents could use. I never heard of the free program thing you're talking about, I think you might want to check your resource of information on that, because it sounds bogus. Nothing is free, and if it was a "free program" then why would they ask you if you wanted to be enrolled in it. Don't pass down bogus info bro.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
there is a current proposal in Congress to make the GI Bill a free program retroactive to Sept 11, 2001. This isn't bogus info, but it hasn't passed Congress yet either. Eitehr way, the GI Bill is a terrific investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.