• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mom advice....

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
Need some advice from some other mom's who have flown overseas with kiddos.
1. What did you do to keep them entertained on the longggg flight?
2. What did you do to help them adjust to the very large time change?
3. Should I let them sleep? If so, the first part of the 15 hours or the 2nd part?

I am trying to make it as painless and as easy as a transition as I can for them.

Thanks!!!!!!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Need some advice from some other mom's who have flown overseas with kiddos.
1. What did you do to keep them entertained on the longggg flight?
2. What did you do to help them adjust to the very large time change?
3. Should I let them sleep? If so, the first part of the 15 hours or the 2nd part?

I am trying to make it as painless and as easy as a transition as I can for them.

Thanks!!!!!!

dimetapp?:D

Oh dear, what have I done, I think this is my first post over in this section of the forum, I'll quickly take my leave now :)

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
I'm not a mom but had the "opportunity" to fly with friends' kids and neices enough to help out a little. Not all of this answers your questions, its just some stuff I picked up along the way:

1) Take their shoes off on the flight. They wont kick the seat in front of them as much if it hurts.
2) Let them sleep whenever they want to sleep. Worry about the time change when you get there. Better to have a temper-tantrum in the privacy of your hotel or house than on an airplane.
3) Get a portable DVD player, lots of DVDs, and buy extra battery packs! If you run out of batteries, you'll be hurtin. If you have more than one kid, either have more than one player or make sure there is more than one headphone jack, and bring DVDs they both like so you dont have the "which one do we watch now?" fight on the plane.
4) If you do have more than one kid, try to get more than one window seat. I think my neices honestly thought the aisle seat wasnt going to Disneyland.
5) Buy some little airplane trinkets from a store - like a mini plane, or some wings, pens, coloring books, etc. Give them to the steward(ess) and have them "presented" to your kids for good behavior every couple hours throughout the flight. When we were little, the plane used to give this stuff out, but now its bring-your-own bribary! And it works...
6) Worry about the time change slowly. No need to do it all in one day. Let them sleep right when you get there, but then adjust an hour or two each day. No big deal if your kid is still falling asleep at 4pm a week after you arrive, at least they wont be insane. Then just keep them up a little later each day. Sugar works!
7) Definitely help them understand time difference and sunrise/sunset. An orange for the sun and a tennis ball for the earth works. If they know whats going on, it will be more of a fascination than an annoyance. Talk to them about how they feel so that they will understand that its ok to be sleepy when its light out and awake when its dark, then they may not react as grumpy.
8) Game Boys, coloring books, post cards to write and mail when you arrive, snacks, and a pillow are good too.
9) Encourage them to walk around the flight, then they wont get restless. Take them to the back and do some stretches with them every couple of hours - toe touches, arm stretches, etc. If they are small, they can do a bunch of jumping jacks or something. Anything to get out a little energy will help.
10) Time consuming projects are good too. Something they can learn. Like a magic trick kit, oragami, or that thing where you use a string and make different patterns. Book stores have lots of things like that.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!!

hscs

pilot
Just did the trip to Japan with a 3 and 1 yo. Let them sleep when they want. Bring plenty of food as they may not like the airplane food (bring some for yourself as you may not care for the airplane food anyways). Bring extra clothes for the kids. The Dvd player and some games and books should keep them entertained. As for the time change, the kids are going to wrecked. It will take a good 10 days to get them on track. Make sure that the kids are out during the day to see the sun -- sounds stupid, but seeing the sun resets your internal clock.

st1977

You can check this site: http://www.seatguru.com/
Youll need to enter your plane info, but it should be able to tell you which seats have extra leg-room, which seats you want to avoid, which seats have power ports (some airlines have a couple of rows of seats with power ports in coach class, but for most, these things are only found in business class/1st class), etc.
If you are not flying with a regular airline (ie, if you're taking a military flight) definitely plan on bringing your own food (they won't feed you), and I don't think they have power outlets, although I could be wrong.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1) Each child packs a backpack with a book to read, clipboard w/ paper & crayons/colored pencils, and some sort of entertainment (ipod, dvd player, cd player or hand-held game system). Bring extra batteries. Maybe some small snacks (fruit snacks, corn nuts, fruit rollups, etc).
2) Sleep.
3) Sleep, ok!

-ea6bflyr ;)

helo_wifey

Just an FYI:

The May issue of Budget Travel has a special pull out section devoted to travelling with children and from what I can tell has some good advice. If you can't find a copy let me know and I'll send you mine (as we don't have children).

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
I think that when they finally *buy* the tickets then I will know what seats are ours and can organize a plan of attack with dealing with the kiddos. I have heard that sometimes they will bump you to economy plus for free. I have never had such luck, EVER, when flying, but maybe they will feel sorry for me with 2 kids and preggo. LOL!

Helowifey...would love to see that info!