• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilization and Navy Reservist Re-Employment Rights Gouge

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Two documents:

Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Act of 1994

Re-Employment Rights of Recalled Reservists
By Capt. Samuel F. Wright, JAGC, U.S.N.R.

Attachments

• USERRA.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 9
  • reservistsrights.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 11

bkbk

Typical length for a Reserve Mobilization/Deployment

(approximately 2 years), you will be mobilized and deployed, likely overseas. Nothing is certain, but if you plan in advance for the possibility that you will be mobilized twice within your 8 year commitment, you'll have less of a chance of being surprised.

Good luck!

Hi,

How long are mobilizations usually? I'm contemplating joining the USNR, but I'm a DoD civilian holding a managerial position, so I wonder how this will affect my civilian career.

Thanks.

bkbk

bubblehead said:
I cannot stress this enough. In all (3) of my interviews the question was raised by my interviewers.

People need to express in their interviews that they are aware and are prepared for the absolute worse case scenario: deploying to Afghanistan or to Iraq for a period of time.

It's not a guarantee that you will be deployed, it's only a possibility; it's not a guarantee that if you are deployed, that you will go to Afghanistan or to Iraq, it's only a possibility.

With this said, as long as the possibility exists, go into it with your eyes wide open.

Hi,

And how long are the deployments usually? Won't most people's civilian careers be adversely affected?

Thanks.

das

Contributor
Hi,

And how long are the deployments usually? Won't most people's civilian careers be adversely affected?

Thanks.

A deployment is usually around a year (sometimes a bit longer).

There is a federal law called the UNIFORMED SERVICES EMPLOYMENT AND REEMPLOYMENT RIGHTS ACT OF 1994.

In a nutshell, it says that when an employee is mobilized as part of guard or reserve duty, when they return, they MUST have their job back, and it must be as if they've "never left". If they would ordinarily have gotten a promotion, raise, etc., in the meantime, they're still entitled to it. If it appears an employer has violated this act, there are severe penalties. If there was a danger of losing one's job anytime there was a mobilization, fewer people would ever join the guard or reserve.

Now, in a practical sense, and depending on the job, some peoples' employment might still be impacted...after all, you've been gone a year, and who can say what might or might not have happen that could have benefitted you in the meantime? Only you will be able to determine whether your employer is going to be friendly to your decision...some larger employers have official policies and statements which clearly state that they support employees in the guard and reserve; others may privately resent it.

There is a web site that has all the information you need to know: http://www.esgr.org/

dephyler

Contributor
ESGR is a great organization btw. They really are a great resource for questions and as an advocate if you have issues with your employer. The rep in RI regularly holds events and encourages to have her visit our employers if we feel we need. It's a good ace to keep tucked in your sleeve.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Hi,

Thanks.

Bkbk,

You probably know this, but don't get set on going to Iraq or Afghanistan...people deploy all over the place...Europe, CONUS, Hawaii, etc. You could get somewhere nice...just depends on the needs of the Navy.

X

xxxCharliexxx

How long are deployments for reservists? Or perhaps I should say mobilizations?

das

Contributor
How long are deployments for reservists? Or perhaps I should say mobilizations?

From what others have said, this may vary widely, but is generally somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-15 months or the odd mobilizations for as little as 90 days, but with around a year usually being the happy medium. I'll let other reservists who actually have been mobilized comment further.