• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mmm Mmm Galley food

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Quick question. I'm lactose intolerant and not the kind you can take a pill for. Is dodging dairy at OCS difficult and will it attract attention to me in the mess? Its one of the two things I've had to get med docs for in prep for MEPS so I'm not trying to hide it but I'm use to avoiding it on my own and do not require special attention to surivive chow time...unless they force glasses of milk on us...then life could get interesting in a big damned hurry.

NEVER forced to drink milk at OCS (probably because they KNOW dairy is an issue for many).

Often times there will be cheese or something in the entrees but that is something that I imagine could be avoided (trying to think back).

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
NEVER forced to drink milk at OCS (probably because they KNOW dairy is an issue for many).

Often times there will be cheese or something in the entrees but that is something that I imagine could be avoided (trying to think back).

Chili Mac (barf) had cheese all over it. But you are correct, they never make you drink milk. We had to ask our DI for it because we had calcium concerns.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Good luck with that. When I went through, everyone in the class ate the same thing regardless of whether our stomachs didn't "do a certain type of food". The food sucked and eating with a spoon leads to a sh*tshow every meal but its all good times. However, when i was a Candi-O there was some kid in the indoc class who complained about the food so we gave him only soup to eat (Navy bean soup gets old for breakfast, lunch and dinner). Needless to say, he stood out, the DI took notice and so did the rest of the class. His life sucked alot more after that and i think he ended rolling to H and DORing. Have fun requesting something different though.
Just about every class when I was there went up to the line and got whatever they wanted from the hot food. Only stipulation was no condiments, of course, and we had to get and finish a bowl of vegetables.

There is always a vegetarian offering as well, so if your someone's stomach doesn't agree with fish, you can just opt for that.

Regarding milk, I didn't drink a drop of it until candio phase. Occassionally the food will have cheese on it, but overall you will be eating very little dairy at OCS.

red_ryder

None
Is it wrong that everything on there looks delicious to me?
Nope. As hungry as I was on average, everything tasted pretty good, to me. You'll get in trouble for using the salt anyway. ;)

My favorite was french toast days--no syrup required.

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
I spent a couple of weeks at and Army fort in high school with my JROTC unit and I will admit after a few days it didn't matter what it was, hell most times we couldn't even identify what it may have been in a former life. We just ate it and moved to the next bit of pain.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Wow, I'm glad when I went through Newport it wasn't for OCS. I mean, yeah it was the same food, but at least the only restrictions were no dessert or soft drinks, and we could use more than a spoon. Funny how OCS is jokingly known as 'fork and knife school', yet here you guys are using ONLY a spoon.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Wow, I'm glad when I went through Newport it wasn't for OCS. I mean, yeah it was the same food, but at least the only restrictions were no dessert or soft drinks, and we could use more than a spoon. Funny how OCS is jokingly known as 'fork and knife school', yet here you guys are using ONLY a spoon.

No, ODS is "fork and knife school". It is jokingly referred to that because the DIRCOMMS are already officers and are there to learn how to wear their uniforms etc.

OCS is "teh suck"

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
I am up here right now for NSI and honestly I dig the food at the galley. Compared to the three ships I've been on (Including one with MSC cooks) The food in Ney Hall kicks ass hands down.. Yeah they have their share of the typical nasty shit, But the salad bar rocks! Only place I've seen so far in the fleet I can have a chicken Caesar salad not to mention turkey sasauge and veggie patties in the morning.

Don't even get me started on their dessert racks... My class is not allowed to eat any of the sweets but jesus that is hardcore temptation. They have these HUGE peices of cheesecake, some with apples and caramel and others with chocolate. Not to mention some kick ass carrot cake (I had some before we classed up)

Just my 2 cents and holding it down for Ney Hall.

Flyer09

Final Select NFO
Sitting in the chow hall today I couldn't help but reflect on some of the comments here and laugh at all the insane things that go on here. While I was in H we heard some of the help having an argument in the back and we lost all military bearing when one threatened the other with a chicken bone. We couldn't even finish chow because we were fighting so hard to keep a straight face. We were lucky this took place on a Sunday and nobody but the CANDI-Os were around and even they got a kick out of it.

The dessert is the best thing in the place. On Monday I ate that Chocolate cake thing that they have. I swear that thing has 1,000 calories in it. Talk about a sugar rush!