• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MMA May be Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ip568

None
White House Wants to Raid Pentagon Funding

Aviation Week & Space Technology
01/03/2005, page 20

David A. Fulghum and Robert Wall
Washington

Pentagon blindsided by White House demand for billions in defense cuts

About Face

The White House Office of Management and Budget is telling the Pentagon to slash its 2006 budget plan by $10 billion and prepare for another $10-billion cut each year for the duration of the future years' defense plan, sending military officials scrambling to comply with the last-minute financial demand.
The net $60-billion reduction is a reversal of preelection Bush administration plans that would have added $10 billion per year. In response, the services appear to be offering up some of their most transformational programs for major reduction, possibly with the idea that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld will reject their offers or at least reduce the pain of the cuts.

AN EARLY ASSESSMENT from military officials is that a number of major programs will be smashed, potentially beyond repair. Procurement and research and development accounts are the primary targets. "It's a triage approach to budgeting," bemoans one Defense Dept. official.
For the military and the defense industry it is a clear sign that growing fears regarding the end of the defense buildup are now being realized.
Vice Adm. (ret.) Arthur Cebrowski, head of the Pentagon's Office of Transformation, has already suggested to Rumsfeld that he reject OMB's call for reduction on the grounds that it will cripple the military's plan to become smaller, but harder hitting, through the introduction of new technology, according to military and aerospace industry officials.

Roughly, the Navy and Air Force each have to take $4 billion in cuts with the Army bearing the remainder. In 2004, the Army gave up its RAH-66 scout/attack helicopter and prior to that sacrificed the Crusader artillery system.

Items facing the chopping block include up to 175 of USAF's F/A-22s, the Navy's Multi-Mission Maritime Aircraft (MMA) replacement for the P-3 and DD-X (which would have begun introducing directed energy weapons), as well as a cut of as much as $1 billion from the Marine Corps' V-22 program.
"There's nothing else out there," observes a senior Air Force official. "[Nevertheless,] these are scare tactics. It's the first stage of a multistage process to meet federal budget objectives. The services say they can't take the money out of operations in Iraq so it has to come out of modernization. I don't think it's going to end up being $10 billion..."

==================================================

This would push the P-3's active service out to 2040 or so, just like the
B-52.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who knows, I can't read crystal balls or tea leaves....

But, first it was parts, then manpower, then training and readiness, and finally tell us to make do. MPA has foregone upgrades on the P3 and other avionics/engine improvements to keep MMA alive, if it were cancelled, then we would be left with an even bigger problem. And HONA, ha, might as well halve that, eh? And a PPC will probably only need 50 real hours in the bird with the rest in simulators.....

Sorry, late at night, this won't effect me, but just got me rolling.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who DIDN'T see this coming.

Whatever, they're either gonna let the Nav have a few or MPA dies. My bet is on an extremely small number of MMA platforms. One, maybe two squadrons. IF the cuts go through.

In the meantime, I guess we'll fly Orions until a catastrophic wing failure.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Yep, sounds about right. I have been hearing that while the airframe for the MMA would come in under budget, the overall cost of each plane would be over to way over budget due to the stuff on the inside. I know I am probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I am still hearing the occasional rumor that the AF will ultimately, meaning years down the road, take over the maritime mission. I have to say that they could support this new platform and its associated costs better than the Navy can, though how well they could do the mission would be a complete different story for another time.

Now here is my question, how much smaller is NAVAIR going to get and when will this drawdown end and what will NAVAIR look like when its finally done shrinking?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
well, guess i can just keep hoping that they don't had me my walking papers before i can augment. It sure would suck to go through all the crap to get here and then not get to do it for long. Guess we'll all just wait and see.

10billion doesn't seem like that much considering the military budget is 400BILLION dollars. The MMA is certainly more usefull than the F-22, or even more B-2's (not a terribly practical aircraft anymore, but cool none-the-less).

But, what do i know, i'm only a JO.

Status
Not open for further replies.