• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mississippi / Alabama Disaster Relief

Nomar116

pilot
In lieu of the recent terrible storms in the Meridian area, can people chime in on what's being done in the area and/or what is required? A quick search seems to indicate Meridian wasn't hit as hard, I notice TW-1 has an active flight schedule today.

I have a lot of friends in the Tuscaloosa area that were hit very hard by this storm. Several of them had their houses and neighborhoods completely destroyed.

Not sure if the wing or base has organized anything, but if your wishing to volunteer here's a couple of quick links that I turned up.

Tuscaloosa County Spontaneous Volunteer Management Team will host the Volunteer Reception Center at St. Mathias Episcopal Church at 2310 Skyland Boulevard East in Tuscaloosa across from WalMart beginning at noon and ending at dark on Thursday, April 28, 2011.

The Volunteer Reception Center will be open on Friday, April 29, 2011 and Saturday, April 30, 2011 from 9:00 a.m. until dark. ALL individuals wishing to volunteer should report to St. Mathias Episcopal Church for instructions on where to volunteer and what volunteer needs are available.

The general number for volunteers who want to pitch in on the recovery effort is 205-561-4169.

Tuscaloosa's Call for Volunteers

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Dont have any info about the relief efforts, but I will share a quick story. I flew a VR route this morning in the TCL region. There was a huge path of destruction that followed the middle portion of the route. It was about half a mile to a mile wide and just weaved in and out of all the towns. I flew the same route about a month back. Many of the towers and small towns I used for checkpoints were either gone or destroyed. Just south of a small town called Sawyerville, I saw a shattered house with a large pick up truck upside down in the middle of it, as well as large powerlines that were supposed to be half a mile away laying in the wreckage. First time Ive personally witnessed the wake of something like this from the air. Very sad indeed.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I was wondering if anybody had flown one of the VR routes there. I was up in the MOA this afternoon and there's a big brown line snaking through there where all of the trees are tipped over. It reached as far as you could see at 10K east to west just north of NJW.

And yes. Everything is pretty kosher in Meridian. Meridian proper really dodged multiple bullets.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I was wondering if anybody had flown one of the VR routes there. I was up in the MOA this afternoon and there's a big brown line snaking through there where all of the trees are tipped over. It reached as far as you could see at 10K east to west just north of NJW.

And yes. Everything is pretty kosher in Meridian. Meridian proper really dodged multiple bullets.

So, it sounds like it went just south of Philadelphia?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
So, it sounds like it went just south of Philadelphia?

Yeah, it went around Philadelphia, north of Joe and crossed Hwy 45 just north of Scooba. Then I stopped looking because my lead was gawking down at it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

It always seemed to when I was there. Most big storms either passed north going through Jackson NE bound, or came from the south and skirted by to the SE of us.