• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar F/A-18 departure route

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I thought I'd put this in the Marine Corps section seeing as the base is owned by the Corps now but maybe there's a navy guy in here that might now as well.

I used to live in Mira Mesa just north of Miramar MCAS. As the 18s departed to the west, they would hang a hard right to come north over Mira Mesa. It seemed like they did this on almost every departure. Quite noisy. I'm not complaining about the noise. I knew about the base before I moved there. I was just wondering if anybody knew for sure if the right turn to fly over Mira Mesa was due to the "high rent" district of La Jolla being straight out to the west and maybe somebody with some political clout made a phone call or was it only because the planes really needed to go to the north/ north east.

Any fast movers want to chime in on this?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I was just wondering if anybody knew for sure if the right turn to fly over Mira Mesa was due to the "high rent" district of La Jolla ...Any fast movers want to chime in on this?
It's ALWAYS about politics ... and money. So yeah ... SID Seawolf came about ... and it WAS originally brought about by jet noise (and what to do, what to do ... if they crash ??:eek:) over the high-rent districts west of NAS Miramar ... but in those days -- even a Navy LT could afford to live out there .... or at least Poway ....

*edit* Everything you wanted to know about noise and Miramar .... check it:

PDF File: ACUIZ UPDATE MCAS MIRAMAR DECEMBER 2004 (rev Mar 2005)

if that doesn't work, try this:

http://www.miramar.usmc.mil/WebPages/CommunityPlansLiasion/LowRes/Full_Screen_Version.pdf

if that doesn't work ... look it up yourself.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The westward departure would be modified if there was Buick Open or similar at Torrey Pines. Yeah, it was a simple jog right to avoid poulated areas and then follow a radial outbound most times.

Used to have to really watch the bugsmashers up and down the coast as we came over the coast level at 2k (? it's been a while).

The eastbound departure is a climbing right hand turn...and hard altitude crossing at 3k, then usually ATC vectors for a climb.

My former California Car Tags: BGSMSHR

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Used to have to really watch the bugsmashers up and down the coast as we came over the coast level at 2k (? it's been a while)....
Sounds about right -- if anything, it was a little lower in the "early" days ... my chief memory is having to pull W-A-A-A-A-A-Y BACK on the PCL ... like to idle .... to level off and not bust the < 250 KIAS restrictions as well .... :eek: trim, trim, trim ..... trim, trim, trim :eek: ..... and then just when you're "set" and comfortable .... you cross the coastline, go feetwet, go full MRT, nose-up, climbing and accelling towards the OP Area ... :) ... that's what's nice about Aviation -- you're always "learning".

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Tks to A4s and Schnugg. Good info. Looks like the MC really did their homework on the noise study.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The critically noise sensitive area for the west (Seawolf) departure was always University City located just on the West side of I-805 as depicted below. In fact during the notorious Field Day Fellows reign, JO's had to stand watches beyond 24R and log the # of any aircraft that ventured over I-805.

The Seawolf Departure was for decades a hard right turn to immediately intercept and proceed out the 280 radial. IIRC in the early days when it was a VFR departure, it was at 1,500 feet to stay just below the marine layer overcast. With the advent of controlled airspace, it was raised to 2,000 feet. We flew the departure at 300kts. (We had a waiver :D).

I didn't think the Seawolf departure would impact Mira Mesa nearly as much as the North and East departures (the Woodson and Julian as I recall - out the 350 radial?). These departures went directly over Mira Mesa. But in the old days, it was an unrestricted climb after takeoff, so we had some altitude for noise abatement by the time we crossed Mira Mesa. In later years, I believe the departure leveled off at 3,000, which would be much noisier, I would think.

seawolf1zs5.jpg

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First rule on the departure was you couldn't make the right turn inside of the TACAN by the Gun butts...had to do it after or guys would be buzzing the hangars and tower.

That's right , it was 300kts. Thanks Catmando.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
First rule on the departure was you couldn't make the right turn inside of the TACAN by the Gun butts...had to do it after or guys would be buzzing the hangars and tower.

Really? So Mav and Goose were all screwed up then? Starting to make sense to me now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...So Mav and Goose were all screwed up then? ....
Yes ... Mav and Goose were all screwed up. At least every guy I ever knew called "Goose" was screwed up from the get-go, and usually with good reason .... :D

But speaking of screwed up ... I know we didn't do the departure under the bag @ VF-126 @ 300 knots --- that must have been VFR as ours was 250 or less. Mebbe I'm just talkin' about a bag thing. But who cares, yes/??? :)

But say, hey!!! Is that little dark ramp with five "dots" on it (circle) just west of the "big" ramp that adjoins the X-wind runway the old hot-refueling pits??? Those same pits that I fell asleep in towards the end of a long night on a long initial CQ 13 hour day??? :sleep_125

seawolframpcirclepb0.jpg

I THINK I SEE THE O'CLUB !!!! :eek: I THINK I SEE THE O'CLUB !!!
:eek: AND THE BOQ !!!:eek: WHERE'S THE WATER IN THE POOL .... ???!!!:eek::):eek:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... I know we didn't do the departure under the bag @ VF-126 @ 300 knots --- that must have been VFR as ours was 250 or less.
You're right, it was 250kts in VF-126, but I don't remember why the difference for sure, other than the bag.

But say, hey!!! Is that little dark ramp with five "dots" on it (circle) just west of the "big" ramp that adjoins the X-wind runway the old hot-refueling pits??? Those same pits that I fell asleep in towards the end of a long night on a long initial CQ 13 hour day??? :sleep_125

I don't know what that is on the left side of the pic . . . after my time . . . must be a Marine thing. :p
Below the Octogon fuel pits are labeled. Of course the drive-thru pits are along the parrallel taxiway on the right side of the pic. And you weren't the only one who fell asleep there. :) :sleep_125

octogonka9.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Below the Octogon fuel pits are labeled. Of course the drive-thru pits are along the parrallel taxiway on the right side of the pic. And you weren't the only one who fell asleep there. :) :sleep_125

octogonka9.jpg

THAT's it. The Octagon. Now that I hear the name, it all comes rushing back .... along with lunch .... and just in time for my nap.

Mahalo, Bruddah. :D

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yes ... Mav and Goose were all screwed up. At least every guy I ever knew called "Goose" was screwed up from the get-go, and usually with good reason .... :D

But speaking of screwed up ... I know we didn't do the departure under the bag @ VF-126 @ 300 knots --- that must have been VFR as ours was 250 or less. Mebbe I'm just talkin' about a bag thing. But who cares, yes/??? :)

seawolframpcirclepb0.jpg

I THINK I SEE THE O'CLUB !!!! :eek: I THINK I SEE THE O'CLUB !!!:eek: AND THE BOQ !!!:eek: WHERE'S THE WATER IN THE POOL .... ???!!!:eek::):eek:

Those are the helo spots 1-5. Don't know what that space was used for prior to being a Marine Air Station. Anyone know?

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CALA weapons loading area perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.