• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minor in Possession Charges(It's affect on my OCS Package)

Carsongamer

Hey Guys,

A little background. I received a minor in possession charge for alcohol in March while at a party. I had it expunged from my record. In May, I was taking care of my girlfriend the night of her 21st birthday, and received another after only have one beer(not saying it was okay.)

I turn 21 in 9 months, but I realized I was stupid for not learning from my first mip citation, but am worried that in two years down the road when I apply for OCS(SNA), that this will take a huge hit on my application and lose any competitive edge for SNA.

I am in a fraternity and that has also taken a huge hit on my gpa(2.6 cum), but i'm going into my Junior year, and transferring away from the University of Oregon and my fraternity, to the University of North Dakota for Air Traffic Control. My plan for the next two years of college is to stay out of trouble, stay in great shape, and focus 100 percent on school to get my cumulative GPA up.

I have no valid excuse for either of my MIP charges, I was just being irresponsible, and plan to admit that to my recruiter and to whomever else it may concern down the road with the Navy. The first charge was expunged from my record like I said, but by no means do I plan to be dishonest about the first one even though this is so.

Anyone receive one or multiple MIP charges who applied for OCS? I really just realistically want to know how this is going to effect me down the line. I realized when I went to court for number two, that to the judge and anyone else who saw it would easily see I didn't learn from my first one, which was very true.

Any info would be great,

Thanks

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's not going to help your case. Expunged doesn't count, at least it didn't when I was in the application process. (I applied to Navy and as well Marine) They want to know about it.

Bottom line is that you are going to have to prove that you have A) learned from your mistakes and B) won't make them again, and do it in a short amount of time. And you have to prove that you are a better candidate than those who don't have criminal records that you are applying against.

What the Judge said to you was absolutely true.

Bring your GPA up, show some leadership on a team, DON'T FUCK UP AGAIN, and uh, good luck.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Guys,

A little background. I received a minor in possession charge for alcohol in March while at a party. I had it expunged from my record. In May, I was taking care of my The first charge was expunged from my record like I said, but by no means do I plan to be dishonest about the first one even though this is so.

Any info would be great,

Thanks

"Expunged" doesn't remove it entirely. When your recruiter checks, it will surface.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Well this is my take on it. If they need more bodies than they have applicants it probably won't affect your application too much. Guys get in with drug charges. The rest of the application is going to matter more, GPA, Extracurriculars, ASTB, LORs, Moto statement. You can't change what you did in the past.

I don't even know why people ask questions like this. Just apply and see what happens. Nothing anybody can say here should about this should affect your decision to apply if it's what you really want to do. If it's not then don't bother. Don't try to lie about it because it will be on your record. Be upfront and blow away the rest of your application. Hell maybe in 2 years they'll be begging for people to be pilots.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Also - for any offenses that were expunged or were resolved by a pre-trail intervention (DUI classes, Trash, Probation), it is still considered guilty by the military. For further information and other fun facts on criminal procedures in the military, please check out armyocs.com (Apparently the Army is FULL of 'em).

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
What the Judge said to you was absolutely true.

He had a beer on his girlfriend's 21st... If anything, I think the lesson he learned is that our arcane alcohol laws need to be changed to stop hurting good honest kids who want to serve their country and maybe have a little fun. I'm just saying, the vast majority of people on this board and probably on his selection boards had some alcohol before their 21st.

But yeah keep your nose clean and good luck Carsongamer. I joined a house and didn't let it affect my GPA, but I saw a lot who did. Getting that up is key.

Carsongamer

Thanks for all your input guys. Like I said, I know even though it was expunged doesn't clear it off my record, and even if it did, I would tell the military about it anyways... it's one thing to admit I made mistakes in college, but it is another to lie about it two years later; that would obviously show I haven't learned my lesson or at least haven't manned up enough to be honest about it.

Pic, the first time the MIP was well earned, and unfortunately, even though it was only a year, I knew the law and I broke it, so even though it was only one beer, I know that doesn't make it right, but you're right, it does suck!

I have been watching a show called "carriers", just to give me an idea what life on the carrier is like(moreso for enlisted than officers but still), and it's really changed my view on how and why I want to join the Navy. It used to be just because I wanted to fly, and i'd be fine doing it with any branch as long as I could do so, and serve my country. I've fallen in love with the Navy, especially wiht my families Naval history, it just seems like flying off of anything else but a deck wouldn't ever match up to that feeling and adrenaline rush.

Like I said, i'm transferring schools this year, so i'm just going to try to completely turn around my college studying habits. I almost want to find a self help book for "becoming a better college student", so that way I can become a complete nerd for the next two years, do nothing but study, sleep, fly and workout, and i'll give myself the best fighting chance I possibly can.

By the way, thanks ReconJoe for the pm on your positive thoughts in regards to my pilots license, but because I have less than 10 posts, I couldnt' reply. Thanks again

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
He had a beer on his girlfriend's 21st... If anything, I think the lesson he learned is that our arcane alcohol laws need to be changed to stop hurting good honest kids who want to serve their country and maybe have a little fun. I'm just saying, the vast majority of people on this board and probably on his selection boards had some alcohol before their 21st.

He got caught twice. How many times did anyone else get caught?

ryan1234

Hey Guys,

A little background. I received a minor in possession charge for alcohol in March while at a party. I had it expunged from my record. In May, I was taking care of my girlfriend the night of her 21st birthday, and received another after only have one beer(not saying it was okay.)

Dude... this is bad Situational Awareness... when you hear sirens, you got to drop the booze and run...

What's going on man... caught twice?!? Either the cops have it out for you... or some bad headwork brother....

Carsongamer

Well sirens weren't present at the time. Oregon rules that a minor can receive a minor in possession just by shear consumption, so when they asked me if I had been drinking, I was plain and honest with them. I can't change what happened, but I can change my behavior now so it doesn't happen again. I know it was stupid on my part and i've more than accepted it... now it's onto damage control which is the initial reason for posting with this question

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You'll really only know if you try. A great package can make up for some dumb stuff. Personally, I had a retail theft ticket for some BS. Charges were dismissed. It went in my package and I still got picked up.

I will say this. If you're that unlucky, and you do get picked up, get a rabbits foot or something before you fly with me. :)

ryan1234

Well sirens weren't present at the time.

Sneaky bastards....

On a serious note... you really need to show the board the return of the prodigal son... Don't pay for sex, don't drink until you're 21... and then don't ever, ever drink and drive

Congrats on getting your Private Pilot Certificate.... now, since you have an FAA medical... you really need to avoid any sort of trouble with the law... trust me on that... because your back-up plan (if you have one in aviation) won't be a back-up plan if any more alcohol offenses (especially DUIs) are added.

If the Navy doesn't pan out for you - you may consider the Air National Guard.... there are a few lucky lads that have been picked up despite minor skirmishes with the law.

Carsongamer

Sneaky bastards....

On a serious note... you really need to show the board the return of the prodigal son... Don't pay for sex, don't drink until you're 21... and then don't ever, ever drink and drive

Congrats on getting your Private Pilot Certificate.... now, since you have an FAA medical... you really need to avoid any sort of trouble with the law... trust me on that... because your back-up plan (if you have one in aviation) won't be a back-up plan if any more alcohol offenses (especially DUIs) are added.

If the Navy doesn't pan out for you - you may consider the Air National Guard.... there are a few lucky lads that have been picked up despite minor skirmishes with the law.

Thanks Ryan, that was very helpful. I would consider ANG as a backup, but I was born for the Navy, so nothing else would ever seem to compare to the experience of being a Naval Officer in my mind, but then again, I do have to be realistic with my expectations. I've heard of several different OCS success stories where people were pro-rec for SNA against many odds, and I plan to be one of those.

I am pursuing a degree in Air Traffic Control, so that way if flying itself as a career didn't pan out, at least I will have the money and income to afford to fly for myself on my off days, but like I said, I was born to be a Naval Aviator, now I just have to prove it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
He got caught twice. How many times did anyone else get caught?

Ahh, the epitome of honor and integrity.

Get off your soap box. I went to several PRBs in ROTC for wayyy dumber shit than Carson pulled. I was fortunate enough to have a CO who A. knew I was a sharp student, and B. realized I knew the error of my ways and matured, and C. threatened to kill me if I embarrassed him by fucking up again, and held me to it. I am lucky to be a commissioned officer.

So is everyone else who knowingly broke the law as an undergrad...so, barring the mormons and the teetotalers, the rest of us type A-ers are pretty much fooked, according to old salty swanee here.

Carson, apply, but do it with the realization that standards are very high right now, and without a GPA increase that is somewhere on an order of magnitude better, you don't have a terribly strong package. If it works out, great, if not, you sound like you've got some decent back up plans. Realize as well that very few of us are lucky enough to be shot off the blunt end of a boat as a daily occurrence, too. We fly helos and p-3s, too.