• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minimum ASTB scores for pilot slot

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wedge said:
I took the ASTB a few two years ago and I never found out what I got. After I took it my OSO said that I passed just fine and that the scores were good enough to get my package submited, and that was all he said. I never actually new about the score system until this page (hard to believe I know). Does anyone know where in our records it would show our ASTB scores. I am a Marine so it must be in my officer qualification jacket or OQR but in what section. I would like to know what I got, eventhough I am in primary and I don't think it really matters anymore. Any info would be good thankyou.

Why do you care? Let it go. Focus on the now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Taz24th said:
One correction
AQR-5
PFAR-6
FOFAR-5
These scores were acheived my freshman year of college, with no study guide or calloege based calculus or physics taken yet. Thanks again

Very Respectfully,
-Taz24th

If you are a 1/C mid and you took that test in your freshman year, better make very certain the scores are still good. Can't remember how long the test results are good for, but three years is a long time. Also, make certain the guys offering advise are knowledgeable on the competitive profile of ROTC mids going aviation. Most of the guys here are most familier with the OCS process. I'd bet the competitive scores are higher for the OCS guys. I can say your scores, even with your GPA, would be on the low side for an OCS app. Don't know about ROTC. Your Mil Sci Profs can't give you a hint?? They see guys go out every year.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have a solid GPA, and I'm assuming a technical major. Your ASTB scores should work, but it's really up to you about taking the test again. The first score if the AQR not OAR. Your scores meet the minimums. Here are a few things to consider before taking the test.

1. The test scores you have are good (enough). You beat the min of 3/4/4 with a 5/6/5 and your GPA will carry even a min score of 3/4/4.

2. The test is different than the one you took 3 years ago and the rules have changed. You now only get three chances (Old tests don't count against the lifetime limit of three). So if you take the test again to attempt a higher score, and you don't do well, you'll have to wait 31 days to take it again. (See my previous post about Forms 3, 4, &5: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90130&postcount=1)

3. You'll need to study. Once exposed to the test format, the testing is easier but you'll still need to know the prequisit information.

4. How badly do you want to get aviation. Are you willing to bet that your scores will get you where you need to be? What IF you bomb the test and you need to wait 31 days? Will you still be able to make the deadline of October?

One last question: Are you shooting for a SNA or SNFO spot? Your numbers are stronger for SNA, but the Navy really needs SNFOs.

Just some thoughts. Does your unit have ANY aviation types that can give you any feedback about your package? CO, XO, Instructors?

hope some of this helps....But one thing I will not do is TELL YOU FLAT OUT that you Should or Should not take the test again. If you had another year, I'd say give it a shot, but with it being so close to the wire, it's really up to you after you weight the Positives and the Negatives. Good luck.

ea6bflyr

Side note: OCS Packages require a much higher ASTB scores (>7) than NROTC/Naval Academy. OCS guys/gals are fighting for fewer spots than NROTC/USNA, which are PRIMARY commissioning sources. Typically NROTC and USNA get about 125-200 (or so) SNA slots (and about 100 SNFO slots), whereas, OCS may get only a handful per year.

Taz24th said:
GPA: >3.0
ASTB scores: >5's
Unit involvement & good FITREPS
Pass the Physical

ea6bflyr,

I coming down to the wire on my aviation package here in October, and I need some serious advice whether I should take the ASTB over again so here goes.

GPA= 3.63 (Dean's List and Semester's Honors 6 straight semesters)
Degree= Aeronautical Technology- Maintenace
Aptitude = Ranked 27 of 40 graduating seniors (Highest Eval showed a 4.15)
PT= 35 of 40 graduating seniors (Excellent Low on each PT test)
OAR= 5
Pilot= 6
NFO= 5

I can risk taking it over, but with the format change the study guides that I have studied from and the ARCO book may be obsolete. My package goes out on October 1st. I'm unsure if I'm competitive enough, and need to know if I should risk it to take the test over. I'm ready but I'm unsure if its necessary or wise. I have no help from my adivsors my NROTC unit, except just now telling me my aptitude and PT standings. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
-Taz24th

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mules83,
OAR scores are not used for NROTC/USNA selection. OAR is ONLY used for OCS selection.
ea6bflyr

mules83 said:
What was your OAR score Taz?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wedge,
Like others said, not really important but if you REALLY want your scores, you can contact NOMI with your request:

ea6bflyr

From NOMI: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/astboar.htm
To request an official ASTB or OAR score report:
Phone:
(850) 452-2257(DSN 922),
option 3 then option 5

Fax:
(850)452-2144 (DSN 922)
be sure to include full name and SSN, and the name of command/individual and address or fax to which you want your scores sent

Email: scores@nomi.med.navy.mil
Please include name, SSN and mailing address.

Wedge said:
I took the ASTB a few two years ago and I never found out what I got. After I took it my OSO said that I passed just fine and that the scores were good enough to get my package submited, and that was all he said. I never actually new about the score system until this page (hard to believe I know). Does anyone know where in our records it would show our ASTB scores. I am a Marine so it must be in my officer qualification jacket or OQR but in what section. I would like to know what I got, eventhough I am in primary and I don't think it really matters anymore. Any info would be good thankyou.

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
I appreciate your advice and wisdom ea6bflyr. I've decided that I'm not going to take the test over, which I decided on my own prior to seeing these new postings, because I'm not going to risk bombing on the new format and being put out of running all together. Everything I have done since grade school has been to earn a slot as a SNA and become a navy pilot. However more importantly I will be an officer in the United States Navy first and as such I will leave it up to the navy as to whether I'm selected SNA or SNFO. I can only blame myself for not taking it over sooner if that's the case, but I have done the best I can and that's good enough for me. Thanks again ea6bflyr and hope to see yall in the fleet soon enough.

Very Respectfully,
-Taz24th

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the best things I did as an NROTC Advisor was to set my students up for success. I told them to take the ASTB the second semester of their SOPH year or the first semester of their JR year. I also suggested that they at least have one Calc and one Physics class before taking the ASTB.

Tazz, you have a good shot at getting what you want. I've seen guys get SNA with minimum scores. It all comes down to the needs of the Navy and how many slots they need during your service selection. Good luck and let us know what happens. (March time frame?)

ea6bflyr

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
Service Selection Update

Thanks for all your help guys in deciding whether or not to take the ASTB over again. Here's the update; Service Selection- Naval Aviation: Pilot. All my hard work in school has finally paid off. I'm so pumped for flight school, and I'm gonna training all I've got and then some. See yall in the fleet soon. Hooooyyyaahhhh!!! FLY NAVY!!! :D