• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minimum ASTB scores for pilot slot

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Hey,

I've already been designated as an SNA and am waiting for API. But this thread is not about me, its about an old ROTC chum who just took the ASTB and is concerned about his score. He got "6s and 7s", (crap compared to my 9/9/8), and he's worried he wont get pilot. What is everyones take on it? Is there a defined minimum? Should he retake it if theirs time? Any help would be appreciated.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
BurghGuy said:
He got "6s and 7s", (crap compared to my 9/9/8), and he's worried he wont get pilot.

What an arrogant little bastard you are. I would venture to say that most guys in this pipeline had 6's and 7's on the ASTB. He'll be fine if his other factors are very good. As for you, keep that attitude and you'll find API and Primary a very lonely, unfriendly place.

By the way, it's "there's" not "their's", with a 9/9/8 I would hope you could at least construct a grammatically correct sentence.

BurghGuy

I apologize for my brief arrogance. I don't normally do that. I was acctually known in my commissioning class as the quiet, laid back, one. I didn't mean for it to come out that way, really. At least he'll be able to rest at ease with his scores though. And as for sentence structure, I'm an engineer, and not a very good one at that. That should be excuse enough.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Fair enough. Tell him not to worry as long as the PNS at your school gave him a high score and his GPA, etc. is good. Re-taking is always a gamble; Steve will tell you "No risk, No reward" but I'd say he'll be fine. Maybe others on here know differently.

I should have guessed you were an Engineer...all is forgiven. Sorry for coming down so hard but I wanted to set you up for success. Good luck to you.

BurghGuy

Thanks for all the help and info. I'll go hunt him down and make sure that he's on the path to success to "pay it forward" so to speak. Any other ASTB stories would be useful too.

nugget81

pilot
You're a really nice friend to do all the research for him...tell him to come check airwarriors out...he's gotta earn his keep you know...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Several Posts listed as minimum requirements for selection as SNA/SNFO (3/4/4). Please do a search for Service Selection.
From the NROTC perspective, several things go into 'his' selection: ASTB scores, GPA, Major, Aptitude Scores (Midn FITREPS), PNS Ranking & points.

The mins are just that, minimums. With the stiff competition out there for selection, I counseled my Aviation wannabes as follows:
GPA: >3.0
ASTB scores: >5's
Unit involvement & good FITREPS
Pass the Physical

Unlike the Marine Corps & Navy OCS, the NROTC program does not guarentee an Avaition slot. With that, your friend will have to work hard to ENSURE he is competitive for selection to an Avaition billet upon graduation (Service Selection). Some people think that they have all the way until they graduate to prove themselves, but your service selection is based on your performace through the end of your Junior year. The applications asre submitted during your first semester of your Senior year.

If your friend is in the NROTC program, he needs to talk to his Aviation Advisor to help him get his 'ducks in a row' and honestly tell him what his chances are for selection.

ea6bflyr

BurghGuy

e6bflyr - thanks for all the great help there. He is talking to our aviation advisor, who incidently just came to our unit about a month ago, so is still working out alot of his stuff. So I'm acctually trying to help both them out on this one.

nugget81 - I told him about it, but as of yet he hasnt registered.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tell your Aviation Advisor to join the AirWarriors.com fan club. I personally felt as an NROTC Aviation advisor, this place was (and still is) a excellent source of info for my Midn. Wait times, new issues, etc, AND he can contribute and de-bunk some of the "RUMORS" that sometimes get circulated on the site.

ea6bflyr
"Back in the Real Navy...Haze gray and underway"

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, we're always looking to have more NRTOC advisers here....and recruiters too. BTW, my "No risk, no reward" policy still stands but only applies if there is actually some risk involved.

Wedge

I took the ASTB a few two years ago and I never found out what I got. After I took it my OSO said that I passed just fine and that the scores were good enough to get my package submited, and that was all he said. I never actually new about the score system until this page (hard to believe I know). Does anyone know where in our records it would show our ASTB scores. I am a Marine so it must be in my officer qualification jacket or OQR but in what section. I would like to know what I got, eventhough I am in primary and I don't think it really matters anymore. Any info would be good thankyou.

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
GPA: >3.0
ASTB scores: >5's
Unit involvement & good FITREPS
Pass the Physical

ea6bflyr,

I coming down to the wire on my aviation package here in October, and I need some serious advice whether I should take the ASTB over again so here goes.

GPA= 3.63 (Dean's List and Semester's Honors 6 straight semesters)
Degree= Aeronautical Technology- Maintenace
Aptitude = Ranked 27 of 40 graduating seniors (Highest Eval showed a 4.15)
PT= 35 of 40 graduating seniors (Excellent Low on each PT test)
OAR= 5
Pilot= 6
NFO= 5

I can risk taking it over, but with the format change the study guides that I have studied from and the ARCO book may be obsolete. My package goes out on October 1st. I'm unsure if I'm competitive enough, and need to know if I should risk it to take the test over. I'm ready but I'm unsure if its necessary or wise. I have no help from my adivsors my NROTC unit, except just now telling me my aptitude and PT standings. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
-Taz24th

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
One correction
AQR-5
PFAR-6
FOFAR-5
These scores were acheived my freshman year of college, with no study guide or calloege based calculus or physics taken yet. Thanks again

Very Respectfully,
-Taz24th