• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mindset for OCS

Fetter

There is a lot of info on here about how to get physically in shape for OCS and which gouge to memorize, but I am wondering if you all have advice on how to get in the right mindset.

I don't know about anyone else attending, but I am doubting my qualifications already after hearing all the horror stories. I find myself losing sleep and constantly thinking about struggling to keep up with the more proficient runners out there (which I am not). This is a personal problem, but maybe I am not the only one freaking out a little bit so I thought I would throw a thread out there.

Thanks

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
There is a lot of info on here about how to get physically in shape for OCS and which gouge to memorize, but I am wondering if you all have advice on how to get in the right mindset.

I don't know about anyone else attending, but I am doubting my qualifications already after hearing all the horror stories. I find myself losing sleep and constantly thinking about struggling to keep up with the more proficient runners out there (which I am not). This is a personal problem, but maybe I am not the only one freaking out a little bit so I thought I would throw a thread out there.

Thanks

Theres not much you can really do to set yourself up mentally, here are a few things to remember going into training and you will be fine. Remember that you would not have been selected if you didn't have what it takes to succeed, KNOW that your there to become a USMC officer and nothing is going to stop you in your quest to reach that goal, remember to keep your eyes on the prize don't forget why you are there, when it hurts push hard knowing what you are pushing for. Give everything you have no matter what, thats the simplest yet most valuable piece of information I have to offer, also with that no matter what the results are you will be able to live with them. One last thing, everything you need to succeed at OCS will be there for you to utilize.

When I was there the mental adjustment was the hardest thing for me to overcome but the things I just told you really helped me to make it through the first three weeks after that mentally I did a lot better.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I didn't go to OCS, but I think any type of basic training has similar principles. When I went to school, I went in with an open mind. I didn't want any preconceived misconceptions to disappoint/surprise me. Essentially, roll with the punches and just chalk it all up to military training. Find humor in the small/stupid stuff because that's what really helps, and of course your friends. You'll meet some really good dudes there.

In terms of worrying about yourself, don't. Obviously someone thinks you've got what it takes since you've been accepted. If running isn't your thing then run more. Also, keep your confidence up; being nervous is expected but don't let it hinder your performance. Good luck.

Fetter

Theres not much you can really do to set yourself up mentally, here are a few things to remember going into training and you will be fine. Remember that you would not have been selected if you didn't have what it takes to succeed, KNOW that your there to become a USMC officer and nothing is going to stop you in your quest to reach that goal, remember to keep your eyes on the prize don't forget why you are there, when it hurts push hard knowing what you are pushing for. Give everything you have no matter what, thats the simplest yet most valuable piece of information I have to offer, also with that no matter what the results are you will be able to live with them. One last thing, everything you need to succeed at OCS will be there for you to utilize.

When I was there the mental adjustment was the hardest thing for me to overcome but the things I just told you really helped me to make it through the first three weeks after that mentally I did a lot better.

Sounds like good advice- apppreciate it. Hopefully my oh-sh*t period will pass over soon and I can focus on just doing my best and not worrying about it.

red_ryder

None
The anticipation is always the worst part. Just get ready otherwise, and try not to worry, you'll be fine. As for running, I only had about 11:40 going in...out PFT was 8:54. It sucks, but probably not as much as you're fearing. Again, you'll be fine.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
11:40 PFT going in would be amazing.

Fetter, don't take this the wrong way, but suck it the hell up. You have absolutely no control in what happens to you at OCS. You aren't going to like it, but no one else does either.

Save your worrying for things you CAN control.

Good Luck.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Dude, everyone sucks when they get to OCS. I was nervous too, but I made through and you can too. You will ask yourself over and over and over, "what the f*ck am I doing here??" Make sure you can answer that question. Only you can, and it can be for any reason, it doesn't matter as long as you know why you are there.

And as xj220 said, if you aren't good at running, just keep running.

Good Luck

Fetter

Thanks for the encouragement all, I'll try and suck it up. There are not many occasions in life like OCS where you are subject to challenges that you can't fully prepare yourself for. I always make sure that I am prepared for everything and it seems that I could spend 24/7 reading about OCS and the end result only marginally improving my performance. I know why I want to be a Marine Corps Officer, that seems to be enough for most people to get through.

I think I'll try to spend some more time with friends and go surfing more often- I'll wish I had done more of that in 3 weeks for sure.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The anticipation is always the worst part. Just get ready otherwise, and try not to worry, you'll be fine. As for running, I only had about 11:40 going in...out PFT was 8:54. It sucks, but probably not as much as you're fearing. Again, you'll be fine.

You have to be talking about the Navy pft...

Ours is a little longer. :D

Lonestar155

is good to go
Just remember to always maintain your confidence. If you go in there with a fragile mindset it will show. Know your strengths and know how to use them. Know your weaknesses and ask your prior peers questions. But remember your being evaluated, so shine with what your good at and don't let your weakness overcome you. PM me if you need more answers.

Fetter

I always give a shout-out to the Navy when I pivot on the 1/2 way point for the PFT. No offense for the 1.5milers.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
The proper mindset for OCS is to never let the f-ers have the satisfaction of watching you break down and quit. It's as simple as that. Succeed just to spite them.

Yes I understand that the staff is just doing their job but that never made me any less pissed off, and I know they enjoyed jerking us around more than a little bit.

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
The proper mindset for OCS is to never let the f-ers have the satisfaction of watching you break down and quit. It's as simple as that. Succeed just to spite them.

Yes I understand that the staff is just doing their job but that never made me any less pissed off, and I know they enjoyed jerking us around more than a little bit.

Good call.

When the Heavy of my boot camp platoon had the sit-down chat with us to answer any general Marine Corps questions we had towards the end of training, I was sure to pose what I'm certain was on all of our minds. It went something like:

Recruit Zeke: Sir, good afternoon, Sir. This recruit was wondering if the drill instructors ever harassed one recruit or all the recruits just for the fun of it, Sir.

DI Sgt W.: [abruptly] No. Next question.

The smirk on his face and his eagerness to move on made it pretty clear to all of us that he was full of it. I'm not just speculating either; a buddy of mine got assigned to my battalion a few years later and we had a good drunken laugh over it. It didn't bother me so much that they played their games just for the hell of it, but it DID bother me that they didn't tell us "Hey, we were just f***in' with ya" or something to that effect. I never really saw the transition from DI-Recruit to Senior Marine-Private. Makes me wonder if I ever saw one of them in a bar, if they'd recognize me and offer me a beer or if they'd just tell me I needed a haircut and was getting fat. Kinda sucks.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

Just go into it knowing its going to be about the most miserable 9 weeks of your life, then it gets better toward the end. Then, you'll be commissioned when its all over, keep that in mind the whole way through.