• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military: U.S. helicopter pilots to change tactics

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The gray painted Apaches were an Air Guard unit, they sent them to Cherry Point and had them painted by the same guys who paint Marine Helos.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The gray painted Apaches were an Air Guard unit, they sent them to Cherry Point and had them painted by the same guys who paint Marine Helos.

That is just like the Guard. They step out of the box on occasion. I had a buddy that flew with a Guard KC-135 unit in Desert Storm. Some two star came around the wing just after they arrived in country. After the usual speech he asked the usual question "Do you guys have everything you need?" Every active duty unit rogered up "yes sir". When they came to the Air Guard squadron they bitched about everything from missing computers to broken desks to inadequate air conditioning units (air farce!!) to improper tools. The general looked at them and said. "I'll get right on it." Within the week they had all they needed. The active duty guys that were too afraid to speak up and maybe frag a superior had to do without. The Reserve and Guard guys don't have a career to worry about. They are all about getting the job done and going home to the civilian job. Generally,they don't care who they offend or which toes they step on.

C-Mike

Originally Posted by C-Mike
Don't think the Army (US) has Apaches in any other color than green. The Isrealis on the other hand...

A Guard unit painting their A-Models gray...Learn something new everyday.
Thx.

bobbybrock

None
The unit was out of South Carolina. Before we deployed word was that the Big Army was going to paint its a/c gray like everyone else. The guard bubbas were pro-active and had it done. Last I heard is that the Army can't decide on which shade of gray to use. My answer would be the same one the Navy and Marines use. Or go a little darker and use the AF gray.
I think the o/d green does very little if anything for tactics.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The unit was out of South Carolina. Before we deployed word was that the Big Army was going to paint its a/c gray like everyone else. The guard bubbas were pro-active and had it done. Last I heard is that the Army can't decide on which shade of gray to use. My answer would be the same one the Navy and Marines use. Or go a little darker and use the AF gray.
I think the o/d green does very little if anything for tactics.

Aviation Week reported that the grey paint has decreased the day visable signature - and the thinking is all helo's should follow the Cherry Point paint scheme (apparently it was NADEP Cherry Point that painted the SC guard Apaches)

Maybe the Marines are on to something!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe the Marines are on to something!

Well, considering that most of the time the enemy is looking UP at the helos against a blue-gray sky, vice DOWN at the helos against a green ground(wait a minute...the ground in the desert isn't green, either) it seemed that maybe it wasn't that revolutionary of an idea.