• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Protocol

chefmike

If you are invited to a military social function where the dress is proscribed (SDB, Dinner Dress, etc...) and you are a policeman, or firefighter, would you wear your equivalent, or would that be acceptible and even if it is would it be a little too weird?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If it were me, I'd just wear the appropriate civilian attire. My family has a bunch firefighters, and they only wear their dress uniforms for Department related activities.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
As a FF, unless directed to wear our Class A's, I would wear the appropriate civilian attire. That way when you lay waste to the open bar you don't look like an asshat.

Reactions: m26

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are invited to a military social function where the dress is proscribed (SDB, Dinner Dress, etc...) and you are a policeman, or firefighter, would you wear your equivalent, or would that be acceptible and even if it is would it be a little too weird?

If person in question is invited in their official capacity, then it is entirely appropriate. The converse is true for military to wear their uniforms to ceremonies involving police or fire department. You see it a lot more at base change of commands or any command that deals with a local community government. I definitely saw an upswing in police/fire department uniforms after 9/11 for whatever reason.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep.....appropriate civilian attire unless attending in an official capacity.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The only time I wore my uniform to a civilian affair was when I was asked to wear my blues. If you are asked, wear the blues, as they fit almost anywhere unless specifically asked to wear you whites. Just cut out the middle-man and ask the person in charge of the affair what to wear. My guess is wear civvies unless asked otherwise.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Too weird, I would say yes. If there is booze and debauchery involved I dont think the guests want to be staring at a cop a table down. i know some places have real nice dressy uniforms, but for my dept I just got a longsleeve shirt and a tie. Also most people dont know how small and uncomfortable their chairs are (especially with arm rests) for a bigger lad like me after you add a full gun belt. I often want to slap whoever designed the chairs at the courthouse without us in mind. Civilian attire is a big yes in a situation like this. More comfortable for everyone involved.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I agree with SWO Steve; if you are being recognized, or are a part of an official ceremony, then wear the appropriate uniform. Otherwise...
tuxedo-t-newest.jpg

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Too weird, I would say yes. If there is booze and debauchery involved I dont think the guests want to be staring at a cop a table down. i know some places have real nice dressy uniforms, but for my dept I just got a longsleeve shirt and a tie. Also most people dont know how small and uncomfortable their chairs are (especially with arm rests) for a bigger lad like me after you add a full gun belt. I often want to slap whoever designed the chairs at the courthouse without us in mind. Civilian attire is a big yes in a situation like this. More comfortable for everyone involved.

Then again, when the cops show up to shut you down, it's good to have a cop in uniform to speak for everyone!!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The worst part was my Skipper standing behind the door telling me; "Don't worry, we'll bail you out tomorrow!"