• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

military marriage and family life

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Military marriages can work, but like any marriage they will take work and understanding from both parties. My husband and I are currently in Meridian for advanced training for "tailhook". We have been married for 3 1/2 years and we have both loved every minute of it. He has not gone on a deployment yet, but we know we'll survive it.

I was going to say, you guys haven't experienced the real Navy/MC yet. Flight school are the good times. Time spent together, drinking, partying, etc. My buddies wife found out the hard way (Marine Corps), 3 deployments in 4 years ( one 6 month, two 7 month deployments), then a 1 year shore deployment away from home (visited on weekends). He got a good 3 shore deployment but now just spent 6 months on an IA in Iraq, about to leave for 2 months to go back to the 53 FRS on the opposite coast then another 7 months in Iraq when he returns. Thats the reality for some. They have made it work but the point is, flight school is not the real military. Just wait :)

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
I was going to say, you guys haven't experienced the real Navy/MC yet. Flight school are the good times. Time spent together, drinking, partying, etc. My buddies wife found out the hard way (Marine Corps), 3 deployments in 4 years ( one 6 month, two 7 month deployments), then a 1 year shore deployment away from home (visited on weekends). He got a good 3 shore deployment but now just spent 6 months on an IA in Iraq, about to leave for 2 months to go back to the 53 FRS on the opposite coast then another 7 months in Iraq when he returns. Thats the reality for some. They have made it work but the point is, flight school is not the real military. Just wait :)

I was not trying to say that it was. I was only trying to give some advice for that portion of the time (flight school) spent in the military and the affects it can have on working (for a military spouse).

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
Let me tell you first, that deployments in themselves do not cause a marriage to end in divorce. There are lots of factors and I am sure, yes, that there have been divorce papers served while on deploynment, but I am 100% sure that there are other factors coming into that. So, don't assume that just because you deploy that divorce stats go up.
Now, here is my take on this, my take and only my take. Every one has their own view and this is mine. I, in no way, am saying that a woman "lose herself" because of what her husband does or become a baby making machine, everyone has their own way of being a wife, but this is mine. I am what I consider old fashioned, I believe in being the best wife I can be so that my husband can attain all of his goals. For me, this meant leaving college 15 credits short of a Broadcasting Journalism and English degree so that he could become a Naval Aviator. I was on board with him 100%, this was his dream/goal, which when you are married also becomes your spouses dreams and goals. I wanted him to be happy. I want a husband to come home at the end of the day who has a fulfilling job and be happy than a husband who is doing something "menial" because I, as his wife, did not want to leave and move around. I knew what the lifestyle was going to be like.
I always knew that I would get married, have babies and stay home with them and keep the home while my husband worked. (Regardless of his job where ever it took him.) He signed up for the BDCP 1 month before we were married so I have been with him from the beginning of it all. I knew going in that he was going to be gone alot. He missed the birth of our first baby and then made it in for 3 days for the 2nd baby's birth while on a 6 month TDY. We've moved 5 or 6 times, I can't even remember the exact number anymore. LOL! Missed several birthday's, anniversaries, holidays, etc. Is it worthwhile? For my family and I, yes.
Bottom line for me: I am fine not working because I am taking care of our children at home while he is flying. I knew I was not going to work out of the home once we had children, so finding a job every time we moved was a null issue for me. Deployments and long TDY's suck, but it's part of his job and you learn to deal. Is it always butterflies and pansies?...uh, no. Do I get frustrated when he is gone? Yep. Do I deal? Yes. Mainly and most importantly: Is my husband happy? Yes. :)

You need to tell whatever woman you date what you plan to be. You will know if she stays that she is the type to handle the lifestyle. If not, good riddens then rather than later.
Hope this helps!

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I feel the need to point out that while there may be a notion or stereotype of what a typcial Navy wife is like, just because that may not be what you are looking for doesn't mean that your kind of woman won't work with the lifestyle.

I have never really wanted kids. Just not my thing. And the idea of not having a job doesn't appeal to me in the least. I'm okay with not having the Best Job Ever, but I need to work at something meaningful because I need the sense of being productive. I don't bake or cook. I am a shitty housekeeper. I am the opposite of a lot of the other Navy wives I've met. Though they are very nice women, most tend to be far more domestic and ttraditional than I am.

It really does take all kinds and there are many different lifestyles and personality types that can be compatable wtih being a military spouse. As long as she isn't needy and helpless, if she wants to, the right woman can find her niche within the military community.

You don't need to be concerend with marriage at all at this point in your life, but you can rest assured that it can and does work. Don't worry about how your potential, and, as of now, imigainary, wife is going to handle this. If you really want to be married, or be married and have a family, you need to make sure that it is a lifestyle that will work for you. You need to be okay with missing the birth of your children and their birthdays and school plays. You need to be okay with missing Christmas and family vacations and important days in your wife's life. Because no matter how well she adapts and handles the life, if you can't handle those things with grace and ease, it won't work for anyone.

Reactions: Jen

JMMH

Ugh.
A) You're not currently in a serious relationship that could lead to marriage, so why worry about divorce, having a normal marriage, your future-wife's career?

B) You haven't applied/been accepted to OCS, so why worry about deployments, and moving from base to base?

There are so many variables involved with succeeding in both aspects (which IS possible). It sounds like you need to evaluate which would make you happier- being a husband or being an aviator. Focus on one- the other will happen, if/when it's supposed to.

I'm not saying that you can't be happy doing both- but right now, you're neither.

MasterBates

My take..

If you think you found "the one" wait through a deployment. I got married in the HTs (Helo Advanced) and later found out that she could not keep her stuff together when I was gone.

She has "issues" (sever manic depressive, borderline schizo) that were OK when I was home, but every time I went underway for more than a month, she had some sort of episode. Also, the moving, does not help that sort of stuff.

If she's worth it, she will be on the pier waiting when you get back. If she "Can't wait" she's not worth it.