• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Leave in the Navy during flight school

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Right after OCS or during flight school, how does leave usually work? I know in the AF flight school is roughly 2 yrs (correct if I'm wrong). I'd assume it's the same as the Navy.

Is there time sometime between OCS and flight school to get some leave in? Also, during flight school are there any gaps to take some time off and visit family out of the long training, besides the holidays?

Also, after flight school or just as an officer in general. If you're not on deployment are there any restriction to taking leave? For example, lets say I wanted to take leave every other month for 4-5 days from like a Thursday (or Friday) to Monday. Is that even possible?

When I was Air Force, it usually just was based off the idea there had to be so many people in the "flight" or "squadron" at any given time.

Just curious how this whole process works in the Navy.. and I assume anything outside of a 50 mile radius you have to take leave applies to the Navy too?

81montedriver

pilot
Here's the deal. You will have an opportunity for leave here and there. Before you class up for flight school, you will probably have time to take leave. During flight school, unless it over a long holiday weekend I wouldn't do it, and they probably won't let you either. Once you get to the fleet, you can take leave but there are different views on it. Some dudes take a lot and others don't. Some guys feel they are entitled to more and they take it but end up missing out on training or their ground job.

I wouldn't worry about leave too much if I were you. Like I said, until you hit the fleet, just plan on taking little if any leave.

MasterBates

And don't plan on too much in the fleet. Giving back 14 days again this year against my will. Totally command dependent in the fleet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
In the TRACOM, don't plan on much beyond Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years. You may get a good deal between API/Primary, Primary/Advanced, and Advanced/RAG, but it's always timing dependent.

You're there for training. For perspective, I asked for a day off to get married and they scheduled me for a sim at 8pm.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
In VT's, the production process formula assumes(d) at least one training event every training day. If a student isn't accomplishing this, the command is behind generally speaking. Right or wrong, the stud who asked for leave got looked at if for no other reason than we had to spend a few more seconds scheduling his/her events around a leave chit and ensure they would finish on time.
It's best in training if instructors don't know who you are...

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
When I was a flight leader we would approve leave on a case by case basis but not for long periods. If you are the best man in your brothers wedding and want to take leave on Friday but back at work on Monday. I would approve it. Half the time I was putting 10-15 studs on the pickup board anyway. Now if you are trying to take a week off then that becomes an issue for various reasons. The 2 biggest factors are time to train and putting you in a warm up window. Depending on your orders and where you go to primary and then advance you can take leave in between duty stations. Talk with your class advisor or flight leader. I would always try to help my guys out when I could. Another option is sniv to fly early on Friday and fly late on Monday. This can give you some extra time to travel if you are not going outside the "Local Area" which was about 350 miles. Check with you chain as your mileage may vary.

Smoke

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Two years is about right from API to wings once you factor in the class up waiting times. However, even though you have wings on, the RAG is the about the same as advanced, except you are the same rank as the IPs and don't call them sir.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Okay thanks everyone.. So during training there is not much room for leave.

And don't plan on too much in the fleet. Giving back 14 days again this year against my will. Totally command dependent in the fleet.

How come its so hard to take leave in the fleet? Id figure as long as your not on a carrier, youd be able to take leave here and there without it being a hassel

Sent via defy

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Didn't you deploy this fiscal year?

MasterBates

Came back end of last FY.

This year has been extremely busy, while doing nothing. Self induced ass pain at the squadron / wing level.

Pags

N/A
pilot
How come its so hard to take leave in the fleet? Id figure as long as your not on a carrier, youd be able to take leave here and there without it being a hassel

I don't think I've ever had a leave chit denied. My general .02 is that JOs need to take more leave. We had plenty of people in my old squadron to fill out a flight sked on any given day and everyone was angry because they worked so much, but as the SWO I'd routinely sign leave chits for dudes with 60+days. Usually the mentality was that "the squadron needs me, if i leave X won't get done." I get being a type A, but everyone needs some time away from work now and again.

MasterBates

I had four denied in last six months due to who knows. ( I barely flew 100 hours this FY)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you are not in PTP or on deployment, there is not reason a command shouldn't approve leave. That doesn't include training command students--they're there to train.

Sometimes people have an inflated opinion of their own importance and blame it on the job. Othertimes, commands don't manage their people effectively.

As a whole, barring some unusual circumstances, e.g. the aforementioned deployment, a CGI in the S-Shops, an ALMAT or CNAF downstairs, etc, no one should be so important that they can't be missed. We're a military organization--theoretically, anyone should be able to DIE and the others should be able to carry on. If someone can't miss 5 consecutive workdays without the world ending, then their division, department, or squadron needs to unscrew itself and cross train a little. I recently had the CO take leave while the XO was TAD--that shows trust in one's subordinates, and shows good leadership.

MasterBates

Yeah. I know I'm not "that important".

Hell, I wasn't even a CAPC (Aircraft Commander) until 2 months ago. Why I am so critical to the squadron I have not been able to take any leave since June? No idea. I'm the QAO, but our AMI is after I get out of the Navy, and we rocked the MPA.