• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military History in Film

Notanaviator

Contributor
Going back to the origin of this thread, a great flick that I don’t think has been mentioned is The Flying Fleet. Silent film, pretty early cinema, but a very cool era in Naval Aviation.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Going back to the origin of this thread, a great flick that I don’t think has been mentioned is The Flying Fleet. Silent film, pretty early cinema, but a very cool era in Naval Aviation.

Is it available on streaming services? I'm not even sure where to find silent films.

Renegade One

None
Yes but "The Cruel Sea" as a book is much more impressive when it comes to an ASW search and destroy, I think the movie director failed in the mirroring of a sense of a painful, tedious waiting, the main thing in ASW, that was so real when you're reading the book.
Yeah, I get it..."Awfully Slow Warfare" doesn't translate with precision to the time constraints of a motion picture.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
It was good, but it could have been a play.

BTW, it was hard to defeat an impression Hanks is acually playing the naval version of one respected VMI professor, Stonewall Jackson - there's so much religion in his background. Could be quite theatrical hint, though there weren't, AFAIK, agnostic Confederate generals. In that same "The Cruel Sea" there's no big accent on belief and etics, just... people in sea. In cruel sea.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
BTW, it was hard to defeat an impression Hanks is acually playing the naval version of one respected VMI professor, Stonewall Jackson - there's so much religion in his background. Could be quite theatrical hint, though there weren't, AFAIK, agnostic Confederate generals. In that same "The Cruel Sea" there's no big accent on belief and etics, just... people in sea. In cruel sea.

Rah Virginia Mil!

Fun fact: Thomas Johnathan Jackson was hated as a professor (though beloved as a military instructor) because he was terrible at it. In fact, he was so hated that a student challenged him to a duel over his grading. That student was expelled but would eventually become a hero of the Confederacy.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just watch "Greyhound". It was good, but it could have been a play.
Most of the best movies could easily be shifted to the stage. I once took a film class (about a million years go) where the professor posited that the two best possible movie settings are a submarine or a stuck elevator.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wings. Silent movie awarded the first Best Picture Acadmey Award. Flying scenes are awesome. The technology required to film air to air simulated combat was a challenge for the day. I enjoyed the airfield scenes depicting sitting alert, scrambles and down time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cinematic Release:
The Dam Busters
Zulu
Zulu Dawn
Bridges at Toko-Ri
Patton
A Bridge Too Far
The Enemy Below
Das Boot
They Were Expendable
30 Seconds Over Tokyo
The Blue Max
Gettysburg
The Battle of Britain
The Gallant Hours
Tora Tora Tora

Made for TV:
The Rough Riders
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Piece of Cake
Danger UXB
Ike
Danger UXB was a personal favorite of mine. Think it was my introduction to the BBC. Props for the obscure but worthy mention.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just caught Greyhound. Great flick.

Edit: Also just caught Das Boot Season 2 (tv show). Although it moved more to drama than war, still good.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I really enjoyed Greyhound. It was not your standard 3 act movie.

Not a lot of fluff, and it told the story well.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Although it moved more to drama than war, still good.

IMO, far from it. Have a French buddy who LOLs about Gestapo/French police relationships in that series. And I just can't imagine any case the enlisted men participated in public humilitation of their officers in Kriegsmarine of 1942-44. Simply impossible. They couldn't even see something similar: a Kriegsmarine ethos was quite equal to old Prussian Wehr one, where any officer is not simply gentleman, he is noble gentleman, by definition.