• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Health Care in OCS

smonahan

Another family related question here. Does anyone know how or if my wife and infant/toddler child can receive military health care once I am at OCS? Also I had once heard of someone getting medical bills prior to enlisting paid off, this could be total bs. Thanks for the help.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Once you're in OCS (If not BDCP), you are active duty enlisted. If you can not coordinate going to PSD with your wife, then I'm sure she can probably get on base somehow (copy of your enlistment contract and marriage license) to get to PSD to get her ID and set up tricare ETC. This is something that is perfectly acceptable to bring up with your CoC at OCS once you get there, if your recruiter can't help you now.

Don't know a THING about med bills BEFORE OCS paid off. I doubt that since you were entitled to medical care UNTIL you are enlisted (which is when you report to OCS or whenever you swear in beforehand).

smonahan

Thanks for the heads up, I will look into this tomorrow. I doubt I will want to be bringing anything to the CoC's attention early on.

Bevo16

pilot
I doubt I will want to be bringing anything to the CoC's attention early on.

Look, asking someone about how you can get your wife and kid signed up for their ID, health care, etc is not going to get your nuts crushed at OCS. It's part of the deal, and it's not like you are the first married guy with a kid to go through there. It's part of the deal.

smonahan

Bevo,

Totally understand, I was partially jesting. Just getting my ducks in a row, happy wife happy life. Although, be honest sticking out early on is asking for "extra" attention?

Bevo16

pilot
If you want to stick out, try being the guy who the DI has to come drag out of formation because the CO got a call from the Navy Hospital by a woman who says that she is the wife of Candidate Smonahan but she does not have an ID and is not in DEERS. That will make you stick out.

UserName

I went through OCS just over a year ago and had the same concern going in. My wife needs monthly prescriptions filled and when I quit my old job to go to OCS the insurance ended too. Sometime in the second week, our Class Chief came in and asked if any of us had any concerns. I spoke up and was glad I did. I explained the situation and he was really great about making sure that everything got taken care of. They know you are under enough stress as it is being there and don't need you worrying about your family at home.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
If you have any questions about that type of stuff at OCS, talk to your class chief about it. The chiefs handle all the the admin garbage. They will know a lot more about that than the DIs. Not to mention, the DIs really won't give a damn.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The DIs do give a damn, even if they try to pretend not to. But I do agree that the class CPO is the one who typically handles these matters.

When people say not to stand out, it means not to stand out in a bad way. Wanting to make sure that your wife is properly taken care of will not make your class team hate you.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
My DI would not have given a damn. He was not human, even after we commissioned. Others are possibly different.