• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Flight Checks

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I was talking to my boss the other day and he suggested that it might be possible to renew my CFI license in the military while completing a military flight test. The FAA would except a military "checkride" in leiu of taking a civilian checkride to keep it renewed, but how common is this? Is there anyway to keep my CFI license current while in the military other than trying to hunt down an FAA examiner every 24 months for the wonderful 8 hour CFI practical test?

plc67

pilot
As long as it hasn't expired there are on line courses available that give you the two year renewal. There are also designated examiners available who can renew your certificate. (I believe only the Feds can conduct initial CFI issues.)

FelixTheGreat

pilot
My boss told me, I have no idea where he got this, that during a flight check and IP can "piggyback" in a CFI renewal check so that both could be accomplished at once. Is that true at all? I just think that would be the least paniful way to keep my license from expiring so that I don't have to go through the painful practical test with a DE or Fed that I never feel like repeating.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I've heard of that happening for things like ATP... They used to do it here. If it is possible, I wouldn't count on it happening while you are in tracom though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like the guy doing the check would have to be an FAA checker and not just any old IP.

Brett

plc67

pilot
Well, FARs 61.73,61.197 and 61.199 are what seem to apply but reference a authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector and you can drive a truck through that one. Talking to folks who've used the feds for a renewal it seems it can be a no sweat sign off all the way to a full blown oral(no double entendre). Obviously scheduling it at 1100 to 1130 minimizes that scenario. I let my CFI expire and had a fed observe me giving a company line check and had it re instated that way and he remarked that the FAA is getting picky on CFI issuances; whatever that means.
I can't find anything that says a military IP, unless he's an appropriately endorsed IDE, may sign off your CFI. That sure doesn't mean there's not an interpretation out there that says it can be done.

nugget81

pilot
Based on what I read in your profile, you are working on CFI currently. I guarantee that you'll be asked about how to renew your certificate. Anyhow, the courses offered through Jeppesen or AOPA are the most painless way to get the certificate renewed. No checkride -- just online courses with no-brainer tests for each section. In addition, you can finish the course up to 3 months before your CFI expiration date and still keep that same expiration date (so that should take care of the time factor). Easy, eh?

FelixTheGreat

pilot
I am proud to announce that I got my CFI ticket last Friday after a 5 hour oral exam and a 2 and a half hour flight. I know the know what the regualtions say and the 5 different ways to renew a CFI license. However, this whole thing that you could renew your CFI cert. in the military by taking a "checkride" with an IP while conducting a flight test for some other proficency check was brought up by the chief pilot at a flight school here in CO. I have no clue wether he knows what he is talking about or not, most if not all of his experience has been with civilian pilots. I know the FAA will accept a military flight test as far a showing profiency in an aircraft goes. But do military pilots ever walk up to an IP and say, "I know I have a flight test coming up and my CFI is due to expire in a little bit, could we add on to what we were going to do today so that I can renew my CFI ticket?" -Or something to that effect.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Dmitri said:
I am proud to announce that I got my CFI ticket last Friday after a 5 hour oral exam and a 2 and a half hour flight.

just out of curiosity what the hell are they asking you for 5 hours? I mean jesus, can you take piss breaks?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dmitri said:
I am proud to announce that I got my CFI ticket last Friday after a 5 hour oral exam and a 2 and a half hour flight. I know the know what the regualtions say and the 5 different ways to renew a CFI license. However, this whole thing that you could renew your CFI cert. in the military by taking a "checkride" with an IP while conducting a flight test for some other proficency check was brought up by the chief pilot at a flight school here in CO. I have no clue wether he knows what he is talking about or not, most if not all of his experience has been with civilian pilots. I know the FAA will accept a military flight test as far a showing profiency in an aircraft goes. But do military pilots ever walk up to an IP and say, "I know I have a flight test coming up and my CFI is due to expire in a little bit, could we add on to what we were going to do today so that I can renew my CFI ticket?" -Or something to that effect.

I think the short answer here is that no one really knows and a call to your FSDO office will answer your questions.

FelixTheGreat

pilot
nocal80 said:
just out of curiosity what the hell are they asking you for 5 hours? I mean jesus, can you take piss breaks?

The DE made me go through everything in my oral exam: regs, the learning process, flight manuevers, safety stuff, etc. I also had to teach two lessons on aircraft maintainence and emergency procedures/power-off accuracy landings. Anything is kind of fair game short of multi-engine and indepth instument stuff. I only got one piss break:(

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
yeah, cfi checkrides suck!! I had a 6 hour oral, over 2 hours in the cessna, and then almost an hour in the arrow.

nugget81

pilot
mules83 said:
yeah, cfi checkrides suck!! I had a 6 hour oral, over 2 hours in the cessna, and then almost an hour in the arrow.

Wow, the FAA made me do less than a 3 hour oral and a 1.5 flight. It seems wrong to say this, but it was the easiest checkride I've ever had.:eek: