• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military couple

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
Are any of you military couples (i.e. both memebers of the military)? Or do you know anyone that is? If so, has the Navy been good about keeping you guys based in the smae area? my sister and her husband were both in the navy, but luckily enough they were both stationed in Norfolk, so it worked out pretty well. My significant other is a Navy nurse, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with an aviator and a nurse being married and how difficult it has been to get based together. Also has did either of the couples careers suffer becasue of it.(i.e. having to take a less than preferable assignment to stay near your spouse.) I'm grateful for any feedback anyone can give me on this subject.

-"Easy"

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Yes, we are both pilots, I can answer some of what you asked. The Navy is, so far, so-so about keeping us together. Part of this is out of their control, as there are only certain places you can train. If you are doing different things or at different points in training, they cannot station you together. I do not know any current pilots who are married to Navy nurses- my only experience with this is a Nuke SWO friend of mine whose wife is a Navy nurse- they were stationed together in Norfolk while he did his first tour, but they refused to co-locate them while he went through the nuke pipeline since it was a training command. I imagine it will be the same for flight training- I would reccommend you try to stay at Whiting for Primary, hopefully they can station her in p-cola. But if you get jets or props, they probably will not PCS her until you have orders to a fleet squadron. (In our case they still considered the RAG training, so it wasn't until I had orders to a fleet squadron that they'll station us together.) It's all about the money, really.
We haven't reached the point yet where one of us has to make a hard decision about orders because of the other, but I imagine that day will come.