• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Bearing... You're doing it wrong

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Military bearing doesn't mean you have to act like a hetero white dude with a stick up your ass.

Also, some context that people are missing: https://www.facebook.com/alana.mae.7/posts/844394562369353

I am sure everyone has noticed the ship selection video has gone viral. I posted it in the spirit of this Midshipman's accomplishments, his confidence, and his excitement to reach yet another milestone at one of the toughest colleges in the nation. And sadly, I was shown yet again that people, and mostly fellow services members, just can't be civil. Let me tell you about the human being (because ya'll seem to have forgotten that fact) on the other side of this video. This young man is a dynamic, inspirational, and extremely influential leader in his class and at the Naval Academy (This will only increase exponentially when he gets to the Fleet.) He demonstrates more maturity, attention to detail, efficiency, servant leadership skills, and get it done attitude than I see in most of the JOs rolling around the Navy. The SWO Community had to FIGHT for him because the Marine Corps was heavily recruiting him. We SWOs will be better because he chose to be one. He is impressive; a force to get behind and encourage to his fullest potential. This young man knows who he is and is true to himself, ALWAYS. Half of us been running around here for decades, some still are, trying to figure out who we are as people. Or you know and have been living a double life out of fear of what people might think. I know it took me 28 years to start getting to the point that I was wholly comfortable with myself and to learn to ignore what the world thinks. This young man right here! Being so young and already there?! We ALL could really learn so much from him and how he expressed HIS well deserved excitement at HIS accomplishments and him taking the next step to serve his country in the Navy, about to graduate from the United States Naval Academy. If you disagree with it and for some reason feel overwhelmed with the need to criticize then be constructive and civil.
Jarred Red Villamil I am beyond proud of you and not just because of all this. I knew from the day you approached me as a Plebe that you are the bright future of the Navy. I am a better leader, officer, and, most importantly, a better person to have known you and I am excited to be able to serve with you in the future. This may seem backwards for an LT to say to a First Class Midshipman, not only am I honored to soon serve with you I would be honored to follow you into any situation, combat or otherwise, without hesitation. I know my life would be safe and the mission would be met with precision and excellence under your natural leadership. #SWOsohard #Wehavemuchtolearnfromyou #Alwaysbetruetoyou#IwishIwasgoingtoyourship #Proudofyou

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Call me old but what am I missing here? (couldn't access the video on my work computer)
Seems to me that function was not open to the public. If he wants to blow off steam by putting a show
in front of his classmates, who cares?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
There is a reason we stacked all of our phones during our last dining in . . . Why is there a need for people to take pictures of this stuff. Just allow it to be a good story you can completely blow out of proportion later in life. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, right?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
There is a reason we stacked all of our phones during our last dining in . . . Why is there a need for people to take pictures of this stuff. Just allow it to be a good story you can completely blow out of proportion later in life. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, right?

Well I mean, the Academy made a HUGE deal about live streaming this event last week, so it's on more than just those silly millenials with their cell phones.

That being said, my general opinion is "Qui gives a shit?"

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
This brings to mind my feelings on the matter of ship selection - it should be like a draft. Ships choose based on reverse Battle E points. MIDN can somehow publish what their desires are. The wardroom researches candidates based on what they think is accessible, and the COs get on the radio, sat phone, web, or other connection to communicate their selection. "And in the 44th pick of the FY2018 Ensign draft, the USS Preble selects MIDN 1/c Joseph R. Shmuckatelli from C company, USNA"

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well I mean, the Academy made a HUGE deal about live streaming this event last week, so it's on more than just those silly millenials with their cell phones.

That being said, my general opinion is "Qui gives a shit?"

Hah, didn't realize that. It wasn't necessarily a millennial thing though. When I was in Cabo in '98 though it was pretty easy to tell who had a video camera, they weren't easy to hide, and we all stayed away from them. . .

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
This brings to mind my feelings on the matter of ship selection - it should be like a draft. Ships choose based on reverse Battle E points. MIDN can somehow publish what their desires are. The wardroom researches candidates based on what they think is accessible, and the COs get on the radio, sat phone, web, or other connection to communicate their selection. "And in the 44th pick of the FY2018 Ensign draft, the USS Preble selects MIDN 1/c Joseph R. Shmuckatelli from C company, USNA"

How does the John Elway v Colts saga play out? :)