• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mile swim for prior aircrew???

IRfly

None
My class leader in API was a prior SEAL Senior Chief. He did all the swimming evolutions. (And kept a straight face when told by one of the pool instructors, "Sir, if you don't fix that form on your sidestroke, you'll never make it.")

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
My class leader in API was a prior SEAL Senior Chief. He did all the swimming evolutions. (And kept a straight face when told by one of the pool instructors, "Sir, if you don't fix that form on your sidestroke, you'll never make it.")

That dude must have made Senior Chief pretty quick if he was still young enough to fly.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
No, it was the fact that I didn't keep my elbow tight enough on the jump and tore my rotator cuff in the process.

Well, I guess I look like an asshole. Sorry for calling you out. I'm amazed that a 10 foot fall into water could do that. Hell, that's lower than the high dive at the Country Club and little kids jump off of that all the time. Must've been a weird angle or something.

I always took issue with the way they made us jump in. I never like the whole "you MUST hold your nose" thing. I've never held my nose while jumping into water in my life. I doubt I would have if I had to jump off of a carrier and I probably would have paid for it. Luckily, I never had the need to try it out.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
"They" say that the reason for holding your nose is to keep water from blowing out your sinuses/eyeballs/whatever after falling 75 feet. I don't know if it would really happen or not, but I've always held my nose in case ;)

IRfly

None
That dude must have made Senior Chief pretty quick if he was still young enough to fly.

Nah, he was a doc. After his time as a SEAL he went to med school. Technically, I guess he shouldn't have been our class leader, not being a line officer and all, but nobody was going to tell him that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Thought it was just "Most Senior"? Senior Chief turned O-3 Flight Doc probably counts as that.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
We had a flight doc leading our class since he was an O-3. Nobody even brought up the line vs non-line thing - and he wasn't even an intimidating prior SEAL. :)

I was still in OCS mode during API, I would do anything anyone with some semblance of authority told me to do.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahem...

Hmm, I though it was make the coastie class lead, only time they would ever be in charge of anyone.

Let's take advantage of the smilies, everyone seems to be so damn touchy 'round here lately...life's too short!:icon_cat:
BzB:sleep_125