• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mile swim for prior aircrew???

Rectrix

So, I got some gouge from the class that just did the mile swim this week. Apparently one of their guys is a prior air crew that went through NACCS some time ago and being as the mile swim is something you only have to do once in your career he was able to bypass it during API. Another prior air crew in my class was told by our water survival instructors (great guys) that even though he was prior air crew he would still have to do the mile swim again. I'm planning on bringing in my NATOPS jacket and talking to the instructors tomorrow to see what they say, maybe the just had some bad info or didn't know? Not that I couldn't do the mile swim again, but that crap was a lot easier to do when I was 21 and if I don't have to do it again, why would I want to? Has anyone else run accross this before? I am sure there are a lot of prior air crew out there that have gone on and done API at some point.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The mile swim is like SERE. Once you've done it, your good. Just make sure you have the documentation.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Do the swim.

First rule of Flight School: Be invisible.

There are "harder" things. Be hard, embrace the suck.

You'll look like a little sally bitch to either your classmates or your instructors showing up with your NATOPS jacket to get out of swimming...

just my 2 cents

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was in the same situation and I just did everything my classmates did in API. I'm with Vapes - just do it. besides, it's a good confidence builder and a decent workout.

Brett

Reconjoe

Plus side: It'll keep you busy while your waiting for grades to be posted from whatever test subject you just data dumped....

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
A few weeks ago I did the mile swim and someone in our class was prior aircrew. I'm not sure if you're talking about the same guy (he had to get a 100 on FR&R to make NSS and he did). Anyway, come to think of it, I can't remember if that guy actually did the mile swim with us. (I'm pretty sure he did though). I know he was required to do everything else with us, why would he be excluded on that one thing?

Are you worried you might not pass? If that's the case, I assure you, there is waaaay too much time given for you not to.

Rectrix

@Craft I'm pretty sure this guy was from class 2211.

I'm not worried about passing it at all, it's the recovering from it I'm not looking forward to. I may be plucking greys on a regular basis, but I can still out PT most. While flying under the radar is always good advice, it's just one of those things that (all other things being equal) I wouldn't mind not having to do again, though I imagine I'll be doing it anyway. If not doing it would have a negative impact on my NSS there is no way in hell I would even think of skiping it.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I'll do your mile swim if you do my tower jump.

Seriously? Dude, it's like 10 feet. Even if they've changed it to 30 feet, what's the problem? Step off the edge and let gravity do the work for you.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Yea, there has to be a disconnect here. As boom stated it is only 10 ft or so. I remember the tower jump as being one of the easiest swimming/pool evolutions we had to do. If it is the underwater part as Swanee is asking make sure you remain CALM... The person that failed it in my class did so because he got too worked up over it. He was able to complete the evolution successfully after he got over the mental aspect of it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like others, I did everything again; I, like some, have TWO N-1 stamps in my NATOPS jacket. If you feel that strongly about it, just ask the question to the leadership at the pool. You know the answer if you don't ask.

-ea6bflyr ;)

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Just do it. Gives you something to do instead of sitting there counting laps for your classmates.