• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mil to Mil Naval Aviators

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
When I was the winging officer in an HT squadron, I never saw COLO get denied, even between Navy/Marine couples. We had studs do the official request far in advance of wings and worked with PERS to make sure there was a feasible drop. Generally we sent everyone west coast... As long as there is in fact an assignment in existence that will work out, this can usually be taken care of at the JOPA level so don’t keep it a secret and don’t piss off STUCON.
Of course, the commute between North Island and Pendleton must suck.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
When I was the winging officer in an HT squadron, I never saw COLO get denied, even between Navy/Marine couples. We had studs do the official request far in advance of wings and worked with PERS to make sure there was a feasible drop. Generally we sent everyone west coast... As long as there is in fact an assignment in existence that will work out, this can usually be taken care of at the JOPA level so don’t keep it a secret and don’t piss off STUCON.

Saw similar, but saw it used against the students at times too. "Oh, well you said COLO is your top priority, so you're willing to go 53s?" Happened to one of our best students and thought it was really unfair to her (was at the command level that decision got made, not JOPA).

BobChuck

Saw similar, but saw it used against the students at times too. "Oh, well you said COLO is your top priority, so you're willing to go 53s?" Happened to one of our best students and thought it was really unfair to her (was at the command level that decision got made, not JOPA).

Interesting. So in this particular instance, COLO was a factor in air frame selection at Primary?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Of course, the commute between North Island and Pendleton must suck.
I knew a guy that lived in a high rise in downtown SD while he did a FAC tour at Pendleton. Not ideal but it can be done. Picking somewhere closer to halfway could be pretty reasonable.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I knew a guy that lived in a high rise in downtown SD while he did a FAC tour at Pendleton. Not ideal but it can be done. Picking somewhere closer to halfway could be pretty reasonable.
I'd imagine (perhaps incorrectly) that FAC tour hours are bit more stable than fleet squadron hours. On the USN side that was one plus to the boat tour: when you were in port and not on duty the hours were far more routine. Even shipboard duty hours weren't as bad as SDO.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Interesting. So in this particular instance, COLO was a factor in air frame selection at Primary?

Advanced. Husband selected 60's Norfolk a few months prior to Wife. Wife thinks she's now basically guaranteed the same, puts it down as her #1 and has 53s last. CO says "need to fill a 53 spot. All the students had it last. She wants COLO, this is how she'll get it, she's the only one who has any reason to have it above her last choice."

I get where the CO was coming from in the sense that if everyone has it last, someone is going to get the bone, so it may as well be someone who wants Norfolk and she felt there was an inconsistency in her request in that she wanted Norfolk as a COLO opportunity, but had 1/2 of its options on the bottom of the list. Nonetheless, at the time, it felt cruel to effectively "punish" a good student for wanting to be with her husband, particularly because it wasn't a 53 spot that had to be filled that week. However, in her defense, it would be unlikely to have a future class have people who put it above last; 53s weren't exactly the trendiest selection for students at the time.

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Sounds like in this case they were looking for an excuse to be able to send someone to an undesirable community when sending them would have raised eyebrows.

Edit: Dan beat me to it.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
@BobChuck ultimately, don't let it stress you out. Someone was getting the bone that week or the next week in selection. It was one of a hundred factors that led her to that spot. If you are convinced you want to marry someone, do it after the careful examination of the cautions that others have mentioned here regarding the stresses of a mil-mil marriage.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Feel better?

The Webmaster did give him the award for best pontificator...

My life experience has always been that pontificators are assholes.

(Note to the Mods who are itching to delete this as a personal attack: I am not calling Brett an asshole, I'm just saying my opinion is that pontificators are usually assholes. So this is not a personal attack on Brett but an observation in general).

BobChuck

@BobChuck ultimately, don't let it stress you out. Someone was getting the bone that week or the next week in selection. It was one of a hundred factors that led her to that spot. If you are convinced you want to marry someone, do it after the careful examination of the cautions that others have mentioned here regarding the stresses of a mil-mil marriage.

Much appreciated. Ultimately, I'm not entirely worried about selection. Being an officer in the USN and Aviator are my priorities, along with collocating with my 'spouse.' The rest is negligible and we'll be happy wherever it leads us. Along with your input and other, I feel much more confident about the circumstances and do appreciate the multitude of cautions and inevitable stressors. It's the life we've voluntarily chosen, and we wouldn't have it any other way.