• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

migraines

annie8080

certified college nerd
I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but I have a little different situation (don't we all?). From about 3yrs to 14yrs I had chronic migraines. I still get them once in awhile, BUT I'm off all meds, and have been for 4 years. I am only 20, and I know we grow out of a lot of childhood conditions. Does the "not in the past ten years" still hold? I get less than 3 a year, but my last one was a just over a year ago. What are my chances? Does my amount of motivation come into play at all :icon_tong... Thanks!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but I have a little different situation (don't we all?). From about 3yrs to 14yrs I had chronic migraines. I still get them once in awhile, BUT I'm off all meds, and have been for 4 years. I am only 20, and I know we grow out of a lot of childhood conditions. Does the "not in the past ten years" still hold? I get less than 3 a year, but my last one was a just over a year ago. What are my chances? Does my amount of motivation come into play at all :icon_tong... Thanks!

do people who go to OCS have to go through DODMERB? if so, this is the forum for you! ---> http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If feddoc gets to this thread take his word as gospel. Until then, if you can get through 3-4 migraines a year without prescription meds to control the pain, then you will probably be alright. Most of the Navy's concern is over how a medical condition will effect your ability to do your duty. Generally, having to rely on prescription meds is a no go.

And no, OCS folks go through MEPS Medical only, no DODMERB for them.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Were you diagnosed with migraines?
Read this: (scroll to section 10.5)
http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Neurology.pdf

All the gouge you need is there...but, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

"The specific nomenclature or diagnostic label of the headaches is not the key factor for determining whether it is disqualifying. Of greater concern is the effect on general performance, special senses, and risk of recurrence."

I think you are good to go, given your current situation.

Good luck to you.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
One main issue is the length of time since being off medication. 4 years is past the minimum. Like Feddoc said the types of migraines you have gotten and continue to get. Do you have aural symptoms? Ever vomited, felt disoriented or had light sensitivity? Do you get any warning signs? How long do the migraines last? Have you ever had CT/MRI scans? Do you have any good arguments for how this is not going to be an issue for you trying to operate in the Navy?

You don't need to answer these questions. Just be aware they are the questions that are going to be asked. When you sit down with the doctor you are going to need every piece of documentation about it. It is harder to go aviation with a history of migraines. Go in with a plan.

annie8080

certified college nerd
Thanks everyone.

That sight that Feddoc listed is very, very helpful. Feddoc, what does "acute treatment" mean? Shots for pain, etc? Also, I am not applying for aviation. Will this have any baring on their decision? I applied INTEl and SWO. Is it harder for flight personnel to receive a waiver for migraines, or medical conditions in general? Thanks again for all this great help. I am pretty sure I have a game plan for MEPS now. I'll let you know how it goes.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
WHAT???? SWO or INTEL??? Never mind, my advice is only for those pure in thought.

Acute = short time.
Chronic = long time.

Not sure how MEPS will view your condition. It is indeed harder for flight personnel to get waivers...not like you can pull over to the side of the road if you are feeling ill.

annie8080

certified college nerd
haha =D Well someone has to be the brains of the situation ;)... besides, my dad once told me the kanoiter valve was broken in my car, so I went on eBay to find a cheap one. Come to find out, they come pre-packaged with blinker fluid and muffler belts. You want THIS flying??