• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Migraines and MEPS

will92

Hey guys,

Right now I am in the application process for Marine PLC for a flight contract. I'm currently a freshman in college. Concerning MEPS, I need some advice.

At the beginning of this summer, I experienced a migraine with an aura (did not drastically affect my vision; just some sparkling to the far left of my field of view). My mom made me see my doctor and I was diagnosed with migraines. My whole life, I've had maybe three with a maximum of five. They are each separated by at least over a year. The pain is always preceded by the aura by approximately 30 to 60 minutes before the onset of the pain. As soon as I got the aura, I took Excedrin Migraine and the pain was not completely incapacitating and the aura disappeared within minutes.

Now, in the beginning of this month, I began meeting with an OSO and have started the application process for PLC Aviation. I told my OSO about this and he told me to check "no" next to "recurrent or severe headaches or headaches preventing attendance of work, school, etc". I met with him yesterday to fill out the official MEPS form. Again, I asked if I should check "no". He told me the military won't access my medical records and to not say anything; that they're looking for things like asthma or previously broken bones that would affect mobility. I'm feeling kind of rough for listening to him.

Here's the thing: I am sure I'll get one again. Say I get one during OCC and they look into everything and they find my history. There's the obvious prospect of jail time for fraudulent enlistment. Aside from risking any future employment, there's also my honesty and integrity. I don't want to begin a potential military career with lying to get in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The MEPS physical is next week. I'm pretty sure what the answer is; that I should disclose the information. I'm kind of starting to feel I'm done for. The migraine waivers seems rather hard to get approved. Some searching on here did show some hope, however. A few people seem to have had some luck.
Thanks.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
That's a rough situation. I honestly don't know what to do in such a situation. If you did decide to tell the navy then I would definitely try to downplay it as a worried mother hyping it up to your doctor. When I was very young some idiot doctor tried to tell my dad that I had asthma. Dad basically told him to shove it. Never used an inhaler a day in my life and never had any respiratory issues whatsoever. Sometimes doctors just like to diagnose things. Seems like getting a severe headache every other year shouldn't affect your eligibility. Wish you the best. Hopefully that diagnosis won't kill your dreams whichever path you decide to take.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey guys,

Right now I am in the application process for Marine PLC for a flight contract. I'm currently a freshman in college. Concerning MEPS, I need some advice.

At the beginning of this summer, I experienced a migraine with an aura (did not drastically affect my vision; just some sparkling to the far left of my field of view). My mom made me see my doctor and I was diagnosed with migraines. My whole life, I've had maybe three with a maximum of five. They are each separated by at least over a year. The pain is always preceded by the aura by approximately 30 to 60 minutes before the onset of the pain. As soon as I got the aura, I took Excedrin Migraine and the pain was not completely incapacitating and the aura disappeared within minutes.

Now, in the beginning of this month, I began meeting with an OSO and have started the application process for PLC Aviation. I told my OSO about this and he told me to check "no" next to "recurrent or severe headaches or headaches preventing attendance of work, school, etc". I met with him yesterday to fill out the official MEPS form. Again, I asked if I should check "no". He told me the military won't access my medical records and to not say anything; that they're looking for things like asthma or previously broken bones that would affect mobility. I'm feeling kind of rough for listening to him.

Here's the thing: I am sure I'll get one again. Say I get one during OCC and they look into everything and they find my history. There's the obvious prospect of jail time for fraudulent enlistment. Aside from risking any future employment, there's also my honesty and integrity. I don't want to begin a potential military career with lying to get in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The MEPS physical is next week. I'm pretty sure what the answer is; that I should disclose the information. I'm kind of starting to feel I'm done for. The migraine waivers seems rather hard to get approved. Some searching on here did show some hope, however. A few people seem to have had some luck.
Thanks.

Don't lie. Do what you think is right. Were the headaches severe? Did you miss school or work? If they are severe and you know you will get them again... well... getting a migraine at OCC would be bad, getting a migraine in the cockpit would be worse.

will92

On a scale of one to ten, I'd say a 7 or an 8. The one this summer was not severe enough to prevent me from going to work. However; it was about three hours after the onset I went in. Taking the Excedrin definitely subdued it and completely removed the aura. I think what caused it was that that was when I first started working on getting ready for the military. I think I may have ran too hard or exerted too hard on a weight machine. I was probably dehydrated too. Still...I doubt that excuse would fly with the MEPS people.

As for the waiver process, for winged Aviators it seems pretty damn hard. For applicants, next to impossible. Pretty shitty situation. And I'm kicking myself for listening and denying I had any problems on the medical history form.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
While I was in API I had a migraine with aura. I got a waiver for it 2 weeks later. The only limits per my waiver are:
1. No more then 3 migraines a year.
2. Can not be on preventive medication.

I would just be honest but down play it. Who hasn't had a bad headache at some point? Could have be caused by dehyrdation.

Good luck.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/150301-Med.-forms?highlight=migraine

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...igraine-Waiver-for-a-Pilot?highlight=migraine

Check out the NAMI waiver guide here http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...ocuments/Waiver Guide - Neurology 100305.pdf . Read section 10.5.

Be careful with your recruiter because he is telling you to lie. I got a waiver for migraines while in OCS. Based off the facts that you had auras and were diagnosed by a doctor I'm fairly certain your condition will be NPQ'ed. It is not impossible, but you need to have a recent history of being asymptomatic to get a waiver. I understand your situation but you have to realize that if you lie, get accepted, end up in a single piloted aircraft and have a migraine in flight, you could kill yourself or someone else. Come clean with NAMI. If it is meant to be, then it's meant to be. Cheating the system for your advantage while putting others at risk is inexcusable.

Honor Courage Commitment

will92

Tom,

Yeah, I think I'll let MEPS know and my recruiter know that I want to correct my forms. Lives, my life, and my employment future are not worth the risk. If you don't mind me asking, what allowed you to be granted the waiver? Did you have an aura, etc? As for being asymptomatic, I believe the period is three years. Worst case, I come back and try again.

Flying High,

Like the conditions of your waiver, they are separated by no less than one year. Usually several. Only type of medication I take is non prescription; Excedrin Migraine. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky with MEPS.

Thanks guys

will92

So here's a question: correct the form now or wait until the physical next Friday? Technically my answer was correct, there were no frequent or severe headaches resulting in loss of time from school or work or any that required medication.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Your OSO is full of shit. And, telling you to lie?

However, if you follow closely the gouge given by Tom, you may find that a waiver is possilble.

will92

Got shot down before I could address those; only had the BP/pulse, vision, and hearing tests done.

This was probably a stupid decision but, believing it was the right choice since there is a "paper trail," I put down the fact that I fainted and was hospitalized in the 6th grade during the medical briefing.

The docs were walking up and down the aisles going over everyone's history. One looked at mine, took my packet, walked out for ten minutes, and came back in telling me to get documentation from the hospital. So after driving around McGuire AFB for an hour, then finding out I was in the wrong portion of the base, then having the other checkpoint reject my entrance forms, I got no where.

Nothing's likely happening this year. Fainting, migraines, and it turns out my vision is worse than I thought; 20/70. Lots o' fun.