• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Microsoft announces Flight Simulator X

Lawman

None
That was probably the case 10-15 years ago when a new top of the line computer cost $2000.

Brett

Alienware is still a ripoff. Yes they put in top of the line graphics cards, ect. But they make their money in using the cheapest sub components they can find (wire harnesses, ect). So really your getting a computer with great numbers that will sell it but the overall performance of the computer is still below what a well built personalized computer can do for the same money. If you cant do it yourself, look around your dorm/college I will bet you good money there is a serious gamer who lives and breathes this stuff.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dell cannot make as good as a high end computer for the money as I can. For low to medium end machines, they are great. I've bought my last three laptops from them. I'm a huge Dell fan. However, they cannot beat the price on high end graphics cards, hard drives, RAM, software, motherboards, etc, especially when the components are bought OEM. Yea, if you buy that stuff at Best Buy, you're going to be shelling out some extra cash needlessly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dell cannot make as good as a high end computer for the money as I can. For low to medium end machines, they are great. I've bought my last three laptops from them. I'm a huge Dell fan. However, they cannot beat the price on high end graphics cards, hard drives, RAM, software, motherboards, etc, especially when the components are bought OEM. Yea, if you buy that stuff at Best Buy, you're going to be shelling out some extra cash needlessly.

Concur. Newegg or other equivelents are the way to go. I also tend to stagger my builds, so when I put in a new MB and processor I still have my old graphics card. Then later, I install a new graphics card and my processor is still hanging in there.

I just did this w/ my Conroe setup. Even w/ my dated X800, it's substantially faster when playing some pretty demanding games (HL2, COD2).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh yeah. I went w/ the 2.66. Coming from a P4 3.2, obviously there's going to be some increase, but games are much smoother in the same rez, despite having the same GPU. That's what I notice the difference in since I don't really encode stuff on my PC. It does boot up and load Firefox rather quickly, too. :)

OldNavy

firefriendly said:
Why is it that I can't stop buying each new edition? They've come a long way from their original that came out when, 94?

Hell, I remember the original wire-frame version. I believe it was marketed by SubLogic back in the 80's

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell, I remember the original wire-frame version. I believe it was marketed by SubLogic back in the 80's

Yeah, I was using the SubLogic version on my Atari and Apple II computers in the 80s - all without a joystick, if you can believe that. Good times.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's exactly what that F119 Stealth Fighter game was....all wire-frame. I sprung many surprise attacks on Libya.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I was using the SubLogic version on my Atari and Apple II computers in the 80s - all without a joystick, if you can believe that. Good times.

Brett

I remember the version I had on my parent's Apple II plus. It ran super smooth at a cool one (1) frame per second. Talk about realism. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I started with MSFS 4.0... have had every version since. Version 4.0 was pretty outstanding for it's time period. Lots of add-ons, etc.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Anyone else buy it? I can run it on medium-low but it's just the same as FS9 on high. It has some cool missions. Landing helo on carrier has been my favorite.