• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MGIB with STA-21

OC/EMC

FYI,

I got this email from my units supply Chief. It opens the door for MGIB use while in the STA-21 program. There are some restrictions though. I hope this will help relieve some of the financial burden faced by STA-21 folks at private universities.

/R

OC/EMC

Subj: OFFICIAL MAIL MESSAGE #066-09 ABILITY OF SERVICE MEMBERS TO
SIMULTANEOUSLY USE TITLE 10 AND MGIB FUNDS FOR EDUCATIONAL COURSES
1. The purpose of this OPMIS is to pass on the legal opinion on a service
member's ability to use both Navy and Veterans Affairs (VA) educational
benefits at the same time, but only for different courses not covered by
military service educational funds.

2. The Navy's Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21) Program pays selected enlisted
service members up to $10,000 annually to attend college full time and earn
a degree, on the condition that they will then serve the Navy for an agreed
upon period of time. Unfortunately, this Navy scholarship is not always
sufficient to pay for all courses needed to fulfill degree requirements.
The question then arises as to whether the service member can use Montgomery
GI Bill (MGIB) benefits from the VA (Chapter 30 of Title 38) to pay for
courses after the service member's STA-21 funds are exhausted.
3. The VA's Office of the General Counsel (OGC) has answered this question
in the affirmative. It has issued a legal opinion authorizing use of both
types of funds so long as payment is for different courses and not combined
to pay for the same course. The VA concluded that while 38 U.S.C §
3681(a)(1) bars concurrent use of funds from both the MGIB and DoD programs
like STA-21 to pay for the same course, it does not bar concurrent payment
from both sources for different courses that are part of a program of
education.
4. Should units have any further questions concerning this or any other
matter concerning the coordination of benefits under our respective
organizations, feel free to contact NSTC Code OD4, specifically Major James
Stanley directly at (850) 452-4962 or e-mail james.l.stanley2@navy.mil.

/s/
C. J. STEIN
NROTC
Program Manager

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, why on earth would you want to use the MGIB whil on STA-21? It makes no sense to do so. You're already getting paid your current paygrade, as well as $10k for college. Now, if you're going to a school that requires a significant amount above that $10k I would understand, but if it's a small amount, then there is no reason to be tapping into the MGIB.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
FYI,

I got this email from my units supply Chief. It opens the door for MGIB use while in the STA-21 program. There are some restrictions though. I hope this will help relieve some of the financial burden faced by STA-21 folks at private universities.

Ok, why on earth would you want to use the MGIB whil on STA-21? It makes no sense to do so. You're already getting paid your current paygrade, as well as $10k for college. Now, if you're going to a school that requires a significant amount above that $10k I would understand, but if it's a small amount, then there is no reason to be tapping into the MGIB.

Note where OC/EMC mentioned private universities. They can be significantly higher than $10k/yr. For example: University of Tampa http://www.ut.edu/tuition/

Average cost for full-time undergraduate students for 2009-2010 academic year (fall and spring).

Tuition (12-18 credit hours per semester) $21,420 Mandatory Fees (required) $1,062 Room and Board (double room, 15 meals per week) $8,296

Total:
$30,778

Take away the Room and Board.. you get the idea.

SkywardET

Contrarian
The "Boston Consortium" NROTC unit was trying to get me to change schools and go there for school. I'm sure I'd have to pay much more than $10k per year at MIT!

Options are good, I'd say!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Note where OC/EMC mentioned private universities. They can be significantly higher than $10k/yr. For example: University of Tampa http://www.ut.edu/tuition/

Average cost for full-time undergraduate students for 2009-2010 academic year (fall and spring).

Tuition (12-18 credit hours per semester) $21,420 Mandatory Fees (required) $1,062 Room and Board (double room, 15 meals per week) $8,296

Total:
$30,778

Take away the Room and Board.. you get the idea.

MGIB would barely make a dent in that bill. OC's are probably better off going to a less expensive school and saving the GI bill for a rainy day.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
MGIB would barely make a dent in that bill. OC's are probably better off going to a less expensive school and saving the GI bill for a rainy day.
Depends on the state. I would've just had enough to cover what I was short on tuition if I had used it. Also rainy day or not you might have some left if you had taken a kicker when you enlisted to help offset a masters that might not get funded via TA or other methods.

I think this and also the new rules coming out soon (August I think) enabling you to transfer benefits to a spouse are really great options that I only wish had come sooner.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
It doesn't even have to be a private school, SDSU is labling myself and other OC's as Non-resident for tuition purposes becuase we are "under orders to an institute of higher education" and so we have to pay an additional $339 a unit at 3-4 units a class. That can easily add up to an additional $4-6K a semester (depending on course load of course) over what the 10K a year will cover, not even considering books, room and board, etc. and althogh the MGIB may not cover it, it would be that much less we have to borrow or whatever peoples means of funding may be.

Loco

There is a way to get around the non resident status at SDSU. All the SDSU OC's do this right now, not sure what it is but it can be done. Call me at the unit and I can forward you to one of the OC's that works in at the office right now.

boobcheese

It doesn't even have to be a private school, SDSU is labling myself and other OC's as Non-resident for tuition purposes becuase we are "under orders to an institute of higher education" and so we have to pay an additional $339 a unit at 3-4 units a class. That can easily add up to an additional $4-6K a semester (depending on course load of course) over what the 10K a year will cover, not even considering books, room and board, etc. and althogh the MGIB may not cover it, it would be that much less we have to borrow or whatever peoples means of funding may be.

STA-21 is an awesome deal and there is no reason why you should need to use the MGIB or take on additional debt to get your degree/commission. Nothing against SDSU (I'm starting my Master's there next month) but I have a hard time believing that you can't find a comparably ranked school, in whatever major, that will grant in-state residency status and allow you to complete your degree under the $10K/yr cap. Granted, San Diego is a nice place to live, especially as a student, but you'll find that most college towns have a lot to offer. It's on you to do the due diligence to find a school that meets your academic goals and keeps you from racking up needless debt when you could be getting a free ride. YMMV.

OC/EMC

STA-21 is an awesome deal and there is no reason why you should need to use the MGIB or take on additional debt to get your degree/commission. Nothing against SDSU (I'm starting my Master's there next month) but I have a hard time believing that you can't find a comparably ranked school, in whatever major, that will grant in-state residency status and allow you to complete your degree under the $10K/yr cap. Granted, San Diego is a nice place to live, especially as a student, but you'll find that most college towns have a lot to offer. It's on you to do the due diligence to find a school that meets your academic goals and keeps you from racking up needless debt when you could be getting a free ride. YMMV.

For most of the STA-21'ers, I would agree. There are those who, while fortunate to get selected, are very limited to their choice of schools. Those service members with dependents in the exceptional family member program, military married to military( which we have over a dozen of at my unit), and those with spouses that cannot relocate, for what ever reason, may have to enroll at an expensive school not out of choice, but necessity.

As an earlier poster mentioned, It provides another option to those in the program.

boobcheese

For most of the STA-21'ers, I would agree. There are those who, while fortunate to get selected, are very limited to their choice of schools. Those service members with dependents in the exceptional family member program, military married to military( which we have over a dozen of at my unit), and those with spouses that cannot relocate, for what ever reason, may have to enroll at an expensive school not out of choice, but necessity.

As an earlier poster mentioned, It provides another option to those in the program.

Fair enough. I am sure there are valid reasons to go to private/expensive schools and you put out some good gouge to assist anyone in that situation. I just hope that others without similar restrictions who choose to go to these schools do so with their eyes open and at least consider alternatives to MGIB and loans.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Another reason: Age limits. Not a lot you can do to get any younger once selected and more than a few of us had to find schools willing to work with us to get a degree in under 36 months. So while I agree that it would be stupid to go to a school that was out of your budget when you can get a great education at a number of universities and not incur any extra debt, there is no standard OC profile. There are a lot of different candidates with a diverse set of circumstances and there really was never a good reason to limit the MGIB. The way the funding works for the tuition IMO you wouldn't have been able to take home any extra money that you weren't using for school so I never saw the reason why we couldn't use it if we needed it.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
I fall under a couple of the reasons for having a restricted choice of schools, I am married mil to mil as well as having to complete my degree in less than the standard 36 months, and SDSU was the cheapest in my area that would work with me for my degree plan and time limits. Loco, thanks for the heads up, I will call soon to see if i can work out a way to not pay the non resident tuition, without that the 10K would be plenty.

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you will still be able to transfer the GI bill to a spouse if you're a sta-21 selectee?

-Gardo