• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mess Dress "Party" Shirt

B

bacardi00185

I was wondering if anyone had a lead on where one could find a Mess Dress "Party" Shirt. In case there is a question I am talking about the shirts with designs on the sleeves and back that is completely covered up when wearing the Dinner Dress Jacket. I have asked around but most people say they got them on cruise in Hong Kong, Thailand, etc. I wanted to find out if anyone knew of anywhere in the states to get one. I am trying to find one to wear to an upcoming wedding.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I knew some people that made their own, by printing images on the iron on paper you can buy then ironing them onto their shirts. Not sure if your willing to do that sorta work, but if you cant find one to buy you can make em.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I was wondering if anyone had a lead on where one could find a Mess Dress "Party" Shirt. In case there is a question I am talking about the shirts with designs on the sleeves and back that is completely covered up when wearing the Dinner Dress Jacket. I have asked around but most people say they got them on cruise in Hong Kong, Thailand, etc. I wanted to find out if anyone knew of anywhere in the states to get one. I am trying to find one to wear to an upcoming wedding.

I've done this on several occasions. Buy a couple of yards of your favorite fabric (aircraft motif, sports team, college colors / logo, etc - recommend you shy away from scantily clad motif). Walmart or some fabric store that the women hang out in probably have a good selection inexpensively. Buy more than you think you need as the tailor might waste a lot centering and matching seams. Then buy a brand new mess dress shirt in your size. Take both to any of the (preferably) Asian tailors that are on the strip outside every Navy Base. Explain that you want them to remove the back panel (but not the shoulder / collar) and both sleeves down to, but not including, the French Cuff. They probably know how to do this without your guidance. Last one I had done here in Norfolk cost me about $10 for the fabric (Vintage aircraft flying around tropical islands) and either $20 or $25 for the tailoring, plus the cost of the shirt. Took him 3 days and turned out great. Enjoy. Everyone needs a gimmick.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I had my dress shirt tailored so you can remove the sleeves. There is a 1/4" strip of velcro that holds them on normally, so when things get interesting...viola!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Do you have any pictures of this? It sounds like a great idea.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Whats a Viola, Hozer? Isn't that like a shittier version of a violin? Not quite a fiddle, but just gettin' there?

Don't some squadrons have schtick cummerbunds and bow-ties too?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Whats a Viola, Hozer? Isn't that like a shittier version of a violin? Not quite a fiddle, but just gettin' there?

I am mostly white trash....but just the best parts.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor

Don't some squadrons have schtick cummerbunds and bow-ties too?

Noooooo, a Viola has one lower string. Duh. :eek:

ChaplainC

Air Force
I've done this on several occasions. Buy a couple of yards of your favorite fabric (aircraft motif, sports team, college colors / logo, etc - recommend you shy away from scantily clad motif). Walmart or some fabric store that the women hang out in probably have a good selection inexpensively. Buy more than you think you need as the tailor might waste a lot centering and matching seams. Then buy a brand new mess dress shirt in your size. Take both to any of the (preferably) Asian tailors that are on the strip outside every Navy Base. Explain that you want them to remove the back panel (but not the shoulder / collar) and both sleeves down to, but not including, the French Cuff. They probably know how to do this without your guidance. Last one I had done here in Norfolk cost me about $10 for the fabric (Vintage aircraft flying around tropical islands) and either $20 or $25 for the tailoring, plus the cost of the shirt. Took him 3 days and turned out great. Enjoy. Everyone needs a gimmick.

That is the only way that I have heard of having a party shirt done as well. I understand they are actually pretty easy to make if you really want to. I have thought about making one, but never actually done it.

I have not seen too many fabrics that I would want to use anyhow...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not seen too many fabrics that I would want to use anyhow...

Like A-6 attests, can't go wrong with a Hawaiian print. Most that I've seen are like this (ie the brighter, the better):

hc2374.JPG

..and you can order all sorts of Hawaiian print fabrics on-line so if you can't find something to want to use, you either have very strange taste or should stick with the Mark 1 Mod 0 shirt.

Spad

None
Mess Dress Party Shirt

My wife, Sandra, started making them for fun. I have quite a collection now.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Every tailor in Manama can do them. . .

And the last time I was at the Pearl Harbor Nex/tailor shop, they had one ON DISPLAY with a sign that said "We do party shirts! Bring us your mess dress shirt, 2 yds of fabric and $20!" or similar. That's kind of when I knew this idea had jumped the shark. . .