• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meps

The Stoic

Since I didn't see a good MEPS thread here I thought I would add one as I just went this morning. Possible this will provide some information to people wondering about the process. More than anything I want to talk about the guy with the third nipple.

This was my experience at MEPS Tampa so it'll probably quite different depending on where you are.

I showed up at 0550 and was glad to be there early for the check in as they road blocked the driveway with cones for people to line up at.

They checked all the enlisted (interesting group of people) KIDS in first so as they could be sent to the meat packing factory that is the army as soon as possible.

I would recommend a hoody and some easy on-off clothing as it can be cold in the mornings (yeah 48 in florida, felt damn cold to me and i'm going to Rhode Island in February :eek:) and your going to be taking your clothes on and off atleast twice.

Then the fun starts and it is a long day so be prepared, we weren't allowed to bring ipods or books or anything fun but I have heard from others that they could at other MEPS stations so I guess bring it and if you can't use it it'll be stowed until your done.

The most amusing thing was watching how hard it was for the young enlistees to follow simply directions, "turn left!" and the ensuing confusion by some of them as to which side was left.

Not to bash Enlistees because some of them were great but the others really need the military to get them on the right path so best of luck to them.

Mainly it's just allot of hurry up and wait, nothing difficult, just listen up and be respectful. I don't know if it's common but I was one of two officer candidates at MEPS and they do treat you differently (don't be an ass and bring it up unless necessary).

The rest of the day is just going from station to station, get your balls checked by an Asian lady here (then trying to explain that it's cold in the room and thats why, umm...), spread your cheeks there, talk to the only other office applicant about his third nipple, get your blood drawn by a military version Rastafarian chewing sunflower seeds and listening to reggae here, etc, etc.

Overall an interesting experience, you may come away feeling like a milked cow.

Mostly I just wanted to tell my story and maybe it's helpful, if not well...:icon_hamm

blur

A-pool
Good timing...I go in about 9 hours...do you really have to spread the cheeks? There isn't any poking right? Just a quick peek? :eek:

joshmf

They checked all the enlisted (interesting group of people) KIDS in first so as they could be sent to the meat packing factory that is the army as soon as possible.
The most amusing thing was watching how hard it was for the young enlistees to follow simply directions, "turn left!" and the ensuing confusion by some of them as to which side was left.
Not to bash Enlistees because some of them were great but the others really need the military to get them on the right path so best of luck to them.

I'm glad when I was a clueless Enlistee at MEPS I had brave and intelligent Officer Candidates to guide me :rolleyes:

and your going to be taking your clothes on and off atleast twice...get your balls checked by an Asian lady here... spread your cheeks there, etc, etc.
Other then that, sounds like a typical night in Pattaya ;)

schwarti

Contributor
Good timing...I go in about 9 hours...do you really have to spread the cheeks? There isn't any poking right? Just a quick peek? :eek:

Yep, you gotta perform the goatse maneuver. As for the poking - well, you'll find out. :D Surprises add spice to life!

joemcspeed

HAHA love the Pattaya Comment. I like to think that there is more commaraderie of those who have really experienced Thailand than even becoming a shellback.

Back on topic. MEPS is an interesting place, we had some hagi wannabe who couldnt duck walk backwards, ending his career of infiltration before it began.

The Stoic

I mean no disrespect towards enlisted personnel but the kids that were there needed some serious help. In my opinion it's all what you do once your in, I mean we've had several enlisted who went on to become four star generals.

In all fairness though it is easier to enlist and I have paid my dues and spent a good deal of time and effort getting my commission. Again its all what you do once your there. Who knows, I could be an Ensign for the next 4 years (yikes), but I plan on working hard and earning what has been granted.

So it probably did sound arrogant and that was not my intention so forgive me for that. I have a great deal of respect for everyone in the military and we have to work together to make this thing possible.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I went to MEPS (Seattle) like 2 weeks ago and it was cake. I went in a 6am and was doen by 9:30am. There were only 3 other guys there with me (all enlisting). It was station to station, no delays, very painless.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I went to MEPS (Seattle) like 2 weeks ago and it was cake. I went in a 6am and was doen by 9:30am. There were only 3 other guys there with me (all enlisting). It was station to station, no delays, very painless.

Ditto for MEPS Spokane. I had just two other guys with me, both of whom were still in High School. In by 6:00AM, out by 9:30AM. Everything went extremely smooth and they bought us lunch from The Pita Pit. That was some good stuff.

joshmf

In all fairness though it is easier to enlist and I have paid my dues and spent a good deal of time and effort getting my commission.

I'm basing this on your profile and other posts, so if those're inaccurate you need to update them.

You haven't earned your commission or paid any dues as far as the Navy goes. You've only been Pro-Rec'd for SWO. From what I understand about SWO career progression, if you graduate from OCS you'll go directly to your ship without attending any training beforehand. Everyone there will have been to at least one school and have working experience, so everyone there will know more about your job then you do, and likely be able to do it better then you will. You'll need to learn from the people beneath and above you in order to function on any level.

Your posts come off as highly ignorant of the military, and condescending towards people who enlist. This is entirely the wrong attitude to have if you want to be an officer and a leader. Good luck.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Matt and Ken,

That's only because you're from the pacific northwest, we know meps doesn't get crowded up there because of the overwhelming majority of the population are hippies who would never join up :D. And of course the pungent and ever present hippie smell often disorients and confuses the small groups of patriotic resisters of the dark side such as yourselves (you're lucky you made it through unscathed ;)).

Now, here in the great patriotic southern state of TEXAS, meps is a much more crowded, frustrating and time consuming experience due to the massive amounts of young patriotic souls looking to join the fight :D.

blur

A-pool
NO POKE!

Just got back and passed everything...I didn't care for the depth perception test (the one with the circles). The guy that administered it told me if I missed just one, I was disqualified right at the beginning so it was a little stressful having to go through about 25 lines of that crap. It went ok, but I'm not looking forward to doing it again at NAMI. Do they allow second chances at all?

Anyway, I got there at 7am, left around 12:30pm...the MEPS here in Indy stays pretty busy I think...I've been told it is the 2nd largest govt building in the country next to the Pentagon...not sure if that is true or not.

bb1125

None
In my opinion it's all what you do once your in,
Exactly! Let us know once you get there.

I have paid my dues and spent a good deal of time and effort getting my commission.
Exactly what dues have you paid? Getting a degree paid for by mom and dad? A great deal of those enlisted personnel sign up just to get a chance to pay for college. Up to this point you've paid exactly the same dues as those young men and women you're referring to.

Yes, the first post sounded arrogant. The second, even more so. Don't think for one second that having a butter bar (or a pro-rec for that matter) makes you better than the Sailor standing next to you on the bridge or else you'll have a very long road ahead of you.

The Stoic

I'm basing this on your profile and other posts, so if those're inaccurate you need to update them.

You haven't earned your commission or paid any dues as far as the Navy goes. You've only been Pro-Rec'd for SWO. From what I understand about SWO career progression, if you graduate from OCS you'll go directly to your ship without attending any training beforehand. Everyone there will have been to at least one school and have working experience, so everyone there will know more about your job then you do, and likely be able to do it better then you will. You'll need to learn from the people beneath and above you in order to function on any level.

Your posts come off as highly ignorant of the military, and condescending towards people who enlist. This is entirely the wrong attitude to have if you want to be an officer and a leader. Good luck.

Did you read either of my posts carefully or just breeze through? What about the part where I mentioned that I didn't want it to sound arrogant or the fact that we have had several generals (and other great assets) who enlisted? As informal as these posts or any blog/forum is, you should take what one says with a grain of salt, and I don't pretend to know you or your values based on what you type. It is important to try and present yourself well but I was merely giving my experience as I saw it and it was meant to be humorous at best (and possibly helpful).

As far as being ignorant of the military, why sure, I mean i'm not in yet and as much as I read about the experience I wont know until I get it first hand. I will learn allot from enlisted, my father was an enlisted Marine and I have a great regard from him. I will learn tons from the NCO's and yes SWOS is basically on the ship now. It'll be a great induction into the NAVY and I will make lots of mistakes but I will also learn.

In regards to my dues you have no idea what I have done in my life. The military isn't the only way to get a sound mind and sound body. I worked through college, got two degrees, started my own business, went to Africa and learned Ki-Swahili, climbed Kilimanjaro (really kinda easy but allot of fun), etc,etc. So your condescension towards me is direct where as mine was unintentional at best.

So ease up old salt and i'll try to be more PC next time;)