• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS showdown

Sup Guys,

Been lurking on this forum for about a year and finally made an account. Thanks for all of the excellent posts and information, it really helped me out. I'm due to do MEPS soon and I just had some questions, here is some background.

Graduate with a Management Degree 3.34 GPA
ASTB 55/7/6/7 (going for Aviator/NFO)
Background in Highschool/College Sports and Leadership Positions
Pilot License
PRK Corrected Eyes to 20/20

During my application I admitted one time weed use from about 7yrs ago and that I was put on trial Adderall at about the same time only for a month. I have not touched the stuff since then and have been able to get my degree and pilot license without it. I know there are some that feel strongly about lying at MEPS but at the end of the day its my name and my application. While I might get brownie points for being honest and there is a strong possibility of getting turned down at MEPS I was wondering if any of you were put in a similar situation and were accepted into OCS.

No matter how the cards fall I'll be fine like Capt. Picard says "You can do everything right but still fail, it's not weakness but that's life". But then again Capt. Kirk's motto is "I don't believe in no win scenarios!". Besides I got good eyes, discipline, and fitness out of the application process.

Thanks for your input and I'm glad I was given the opportunity to apply for something I never thought I'd possibly be able to get. Plus I still got some years before the age cut-off date.

Semper Fortis

mb1685

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying you've already been honest about it on your application but are entertaining the thought of lying about it at MEPS? I don't have experience with the process myself yet, but I think the answer should be pretty obvious. Lying is a bad choice to begin with, but lying while there's already a paper trail indicating the truth seems like a guaranteed way to dig your own grave.

speedroller

Rangers
I could be wrong, but having any type of eye surgery done prior to MEPS and flight surgeon approval means an automatic DQ. I'm not saying this to me mean, my OR strictly advised NOT to go for PRK prior to MEPS visit.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
I could be wrong, but having any type of eye surgery done prior to MEPS and flight surgeon approval means an automatic DQ. I'm not saying this to me mean, my OR strictly advised NOT to go for PRK prior to MEPS visit.
Eye surgery prior to MEPS needs a waiver. Not always an automatic DQ.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The weed stuff will not hurt you. One use that long ago doesn't even need a waiver.

The adderall will not hurt you at MEPS. It might be a problem at OCS when you do medical monday (if that is what they still call it) to get your NAMI letter. Factors for the waiver will include how long you were on it (not long, it seems), what kind of testing you had, how old you were, etc etc. I have no idea if you'll get said waiver or not, but it could be a lost worse. Also, if your records give you any other kind of mental health history indicators those will come up at OCS as well.

exNavyOffRec

MJ use no issues as it was one time thing. The adderall use due to how long ago, short duration and if the documents support should be no issue, since it was just one month that indicates that what they put you on it for was not working or didn't exist. In any case you will have to provide documents for both eye and adderall use.

Eye surgery is not an issue unless you were out of waiverable limits prior to surgery, never had a guy that was inside of waiverable limits have an issue.

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying you've already been honest about it on your application but are entertaining the thought of lying about it at MEPS? I don't have experience with the process myself yet, but I think the answer should be pretty obvious. Lying is a bad choice to begin with, but lying while there's already a paper trail indicating the truth seems like a guaranteed way to dig your own grave.

Nope I'm not lying, told myself if I went for the Navy I'd do it right and man up in terms of responsibility

As for PRK I made sure to get the waiver squared away before I got the surgery done

Thanks for the replies and insight into MEPS. I've been lead to believe by some people that anything can DQ me and I'm taking this really seriously because applying means a lot. I hope I can earn it!

Last edited:

mb1685

Nope I'm not lying, told myself if I went for the Navy I'd do it right and man up in terms of responsibility

Ah, my mistake. I just wasn't sure what to make of the "I know there are some that feel strongly about lying at MEPS but at the end of the day its my name and my application" statement.

Jules_W

As for PRK I made sure to get the waiver squared away before I got the surgery done

Thanks for the replies and insight into MEPS. I've been lead to believe by some people that anything can DQ me and I'm taking this really seriously because applying means a lot. I hope I can earn it!

There are some pretty dumb things they DQ people for, but at the end of the day you should still apply and be confident in everything you have going for you in your packet. Don't let what other people say break your confidence, you want this so regardless of medical history or drug use you should still try your damnedest and see how things go.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are some pretty dumb things they DQ people for, but at the end of the day you should still apply and be confident in everything you have going for you in your packet. Don't let what other people say break your confidence, you want this so regardless of medical history or drug use you should still try your damnedest and see how things go.
@Jules_M is spot on, all applicants should have this attitude. Don't allow one person's opinion(s) to deter you from your goal. Opinions are fine, and well meant, but not necessarily fact. Back up opinions with solid research, Both AW SEARCH feature, and Google/Wiki... are excellent time-saving resources, and free as well. When your problems/questions involve medical issues (MEPS, NAMI, vision, various med. waivers, etc.), post in the DOC's Corner Forum. We have several top-notch Flight Surgeons and MSC Pros, lurking about The Doctor Is In... Flight Surgeon thread to help out.:)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

What my OR told me. I've been following that since day one.

if you get PRK or Lasik after MEPS technically you are now TNPQ for 6 months, which means you can't go to board, if you go to board and then get surgery you are still TNPQ and NRC can remove your pro rec since it is outside of the designated times.