• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Questions

blackbeard

pilot
How long does it usually take from when you first go to MEPS to get cleared and squared away for a flight physical if everything is all good?

Piposterous

"The road to success is always under construction"
pilot
You will know when you leave MEPS if you are cleared or not. From there, flight physicals can be difficult to come by as they are pretty competitive. Normally it takes around 2 months to schedule for a flight physical, then after your evaluations it takes another 1 to 2 months to hear the results - potentially longer if you need a waiver.

I've been to NAMI 3 times - feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Ehoward10

You will know when you leave MEPS if you are cleared or not. From there, flight physicals can be difficult to come by as they are pretty competitive. Normally it takes around 2 months to schedule for a flight physical, then after your evaluations it takes another 1 to 2 months to hear the results - potentially longer if you need a waiver.

Is it possible to see NAMI before OCS if you are a Navy applicant? I know the Marines send their applicants to NAMI before OCS, which is not the case for the Navy route, but could a civilian make an appointment to go see NAMI and get medically cleared before OCS even happens? I know this would not be the standard procedure but has anyone done this?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is it possible to see NAMI before OCS if you are a Navy applicant? I know the Marines send their applicants to NAMI before OCS, which is not the case for the Navy route, but could a civilian make an appointment to go see NAMI and get medically cleared before OCS even happens? I know this would not be the standard procedure but has anyone done this?

Family-guy-consuela-meme-i13.jpg

exNavyOffRec

MEPS doesn't clear officer applicants N3M does, it doesn't matter if MEPS says you are fit for military service or not, N3M makes their own decision and that is who the processor sends the documents to after MEPS

CWO_change

MEPS doesn't clear officer applicants N3M does, it doesn't matter if MEPS says you are fit for military service or not, N3M makes their own decision and that is who the processor sends the documents to after MEPS

Good point. And I could easily envision that someone's blood test comes back with bad news. So a preliminary MEPS visit that didn't reveal any overt problems could easily turn out to be anything but.

jcahall

Tacamo Bro
None
Good point. And I could easily envision that someone's blood test comes back with bad news. So a preliminary MEPS visit that didn't reveal any overt problems could easily turn out to be anything but.

Once you finish MEPS and they say your clear to serve before any tests, can someone submit their packet to the OCS board (assuming everything else is completed)? I have a week from my MEPS date to kit due date for the board. How long do the blood tests take and will they hinder someone from being able to submit a kit?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Once you finish MEPS and they say your clear to serve before any tests, can someone submit their packet to the OCS board (assuming everything else is completed)? I have a week from my MEPS date to kit due date for the board. How long do the blood tests take and will they hinder someone from being able to submit a kit?

I believe the tests take a couple of days to come back, then your package has to be submitted to N3M which takes 2-3 days to come back with a PQ or NPQ.

The kits due date means the kit has to be at the board by that date, and with the NRD and NRC needing to do their own checks (takes 1-2 weeks depending), it's looking like you probably will miss the deadline.

Sonog

pilot

I remember an old cranky doc at MEPS told me I couldn't fly because I didn't valsalva after one attempt and my head moved when he told me to follow his pen with my eyes.

jcahall

Tacamo Bro
None
Just finished MEPs yesterday and got PDQ'ed on the very last excercise of the last step in the process. It was a MEP's civilian doc who wasn't in the best of moods. She told me to leave my socks off then analyzed my foot and told me I had athlete's foot. Normally they would temp PQ me but since I have a selection board coming up (i'm an officer candidate), she intentionally PDQ'd it so that I could potentially make it before the due date. The liaison's office agreed this was a good move for trying to get the waiver.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with PDQ for a minor issue such as acne or athletes foot? The liaisons office thinks it will be a quick process for the waiver. Do candidates usually get approved? Also, if it denied and I have to go to MEPs again, will I have to do all the vision, bloodwork etc all over again?

Thanks

Starsfan93

pilot
Just finished MEPs yesterday and got PDQ'ed on the very last excercise of the last step in the process. It was a MEP's civilian doc who wasn't in the best of moods. She told me to leave my socks off then analyzed my foot and told me I had athlete's foot. Normally they would temp PQ me but since I have a selection board coming up (i'm an officer candidate), she intentionally PDQ'd it so that I could potentially make it before the due date. The liaison's office agreed this was a good move for trying to get the waiver.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with PDQ for a minor issue such as acne or athletes foot? The liaisons office thinks it will be a quick process for the waiver. Do candidates usually get approved? Also, if it denied and I have to go to MEPs again, will I have to do all the vision, bloodwork etc all over again?

Thanks

It's a really quick process to get a waiver. You can sometimes get the waiver back the same day. I got a waiver for my acl surgery and my eyes. Your OR just sends some paper work up to N3M and they will send a letter back if you're approved for a waiver. And no you don't have to go back to MEPS if you get a waiver, but I don't know what to do if you get denied.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thanks

What did your recruiter say?

jcahall

Tacamo Bro
None
What did your recruiter say?

Hes optimistic on a waiver for athletes foot and told me he will followup once blood work and urinalysis results come back in a few days.

If this waiver does not get approved, I can still cure it and come back to MEPS right? The doctor said I could but the word "permanent" in PDQ makes me uneasy.

Its frustrating because even after a couple days of using medicine its barely visible now...