• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS PDQ Question

GodSpeed1997

Towards the end of my MEPS experience, the back of my paper said permanently disqualified (PDQ) however, the guy taking my fingerprint at the end said that they "pushed me through" and already applied for a waiver otherwise they would not waste time taking my fingerprints. I had problem with my hearing but other than that I passed everything else. On my record it said that I had standard hearing loss and my OR told me to go to an audiologist and that he will take care of everything else. Should I be worried about my application?

exNavyOffRec

Towards the end of my MEPS experience, the back of my paper said permanently disqualified (PDQ) however, the guy taking my fingerprint at the end said that they "pushed me through" and already applied for a waiver otherwise they would not waste time taking my fingerprints. I had problem with my hearing but other than that I passed everything else. On my record it said that I had standard hearing loss and my OR told me to go to an audiologist and that he will take care of everything else. Should I be worried about my application?

everyone gets fingerprints and they guy saying they would put you in for a waiver doesn't know what he is talking about, that is a MEPS guy, MEPS doesn't do waivers they do physicals, NRC medical does waivers.

Your OR however is doing what I would do, now if that comes back good then NRC medical may have MEPS set you up for a consult.

What are you going for? that will have a bearing on the waiver as well. Do you know what caused the hearing loss, do you go shooting often, work around loud equipment?

GodSpeed1997

everyone gets fingerprints and they guy saying they would put you in for a waiver doesn't know what he is talking about, that is a MEPS guy, MEPS doesn't do waivers they do physicals, NRC medical does waivers.

Your OR however is doing what I would do, now if that comes back good then NRC medical may have MEPS set you up for a consult.

What are you going for? that will have a bearing on the waiver as well. Do you know what caused the hearing loss, do you go shooting often, work around loud equipment?

The Navy department down stairs said they already applied for a waiver but seeing “permanently disqualified” on my paper is just very discouraging.
I’m in the process of applying for SNA/NFO/SWO. I’ve just had a lot of ear infections when I was young but never really thought it was anything serious. I have an appointment scheduled with an audiologist this coming Wednesday so they could take a closer look. My OR told me to just email/fax him all the documents to him after they diagnose and do a hearing test.

exNavyOffRec

The Navy department down stairs said they already applied for a waiver but seeing “permanently disqualified” on my paper is just very discouraging.
I’m in the process of applying for SNA/NFO/SWO. I’ve just had a lot of ear infections when I was young but never really thought it was anything serious. I have an appointment scheduled with an audiologist this coming Wednesday so they could take a closer look. My OR told me to just email/fax him all the documents to him after they diagnose and do a hearing test.

They can't have already applied for a waiver without supporting documents, well technically they can, and if they did they might have screwed you by delaying the process. Ideally you need a test by an audiologist showing your hearing is within limits, I have seen waivers approved for nukes before but not anything else.

How bad was your hearing?

GodSpeed1997

They can't have already applied for a waiver without supporting documents, well technically they can, and if they did they might have screwed you by delaying the process. Ideally you need a test by an audiologist showing your hearing is within limits, I have seen waivers approved for nukes before but not anything else.

500 10002000300040006000

Had to memorize my results last minute because I know they don't allow you to take your medical records out of the building.

GodSpeed1997

On the receipt they print out after the hearing test it said "standard hearing loss". Doctor saw it when I did my physical after and ordered me to get my ears checked again just in case there was some issue with the seat I was in for testing. When I tested for the second time, it was the same results.

exNavyOffRec

Had to memorize my results last minute because I know they don't allow you to take your medical records out of the building.
here is the good news, per the medical manual you are ok from 3000 and above.

on the 500/1000/2000 you only fair at the 1000 mark as the limit is 35 and you fail on the average of those 3 since the limit for average is 30 and you are at 33.

This is very close so if you wear earplugs before you test and just do a little bit better you should be just fine.

flgator92

None

You know flying high performance aircraft as a career choice causes hearing loss, right, dude?

GodSpeed1997

You know flying high performance aircraft as a career choice causes hearing loss, right, dude?

Yes I understand but unfortunately they have high standards for hearing in order to even process me for SNA.

And it's still my career of choice, even if that.

flgator92

None
Yes I understand but unfortunately they have high standards for hearing in order to even process me for SNA.

All good, dude. It was said in jest. But, if you think about it, those standards are high because your hearing will degrade over time in the aircraft. The Navy not only has an interest to make sure your hearing is okay for your job, but on the back end they don't want to give you some partial disability for hearing loss if your hearing goes to shit once you decide to separate from the service- that's $$$. Hoping you get the waiver, man. Just take care of your hearing. Aside from double hearing protection in the jet (which is mandatory), I've learned not to blast music in my beats and wear double protection at the shooting range. You can't regain permanent hearing loss, you can only protect what you already have.

GodSpeed1997

All good, dude. It was said in jest. But, if you think about it, those standards are high because your hearing will degrade over time in the aircraft. The Navy not only has an interest to make sure your hearing is okay for your job, but on the back end they don't want to give you some partial disability for hearing loss if your hearing goes to shit once you decide to separate from the service- that's $$$. Hoping you get the waiver, man. Just take care of your hearing. Aside from double hearing protection in the jet (which is mandatory), I've learned not to blast music in my beats and wear double protection at the shooting range. You can't regain permanent hearing loss, you can only protect what you already have.

Yea, I'm praying for the best. Hopefully that waiver is approved and my audiology appointment on Wednesday is good news. Thank you for the helpful advice and the input man, I appreciate it.

GroundPounder

As a person in their 50s that can't hear very well due to a combination of genetics, loud ass 80s concerts, and exposure to explosions and tons of firearms, my suggestion would be to do whatever is in your power to minimize the damage to your hearing. By all means, pursue your goal of flying in the Navy, but save that hearing. You will wish you had. The bad news is that someone probably told me the same thing at some point, but of course I knew better.

Old man rant over.

GodSpeed1997

Another question: During MEPS they put on my medical records stating that
my near sighted vision is 20/20 for both eyes and
my far sighted vision for my left eye is 20/25 and 30/20 for my right eye.
I know that the worse you can have your eyes uncorrected is 20/40 and it just needs to correct to 20/20

However, since I currently don't wear glasses or contacts my eyes technically don't "correct" to 20/20, but I know it obviously can if I get glasses. My OR received a letter from NRC saying "Applicant's vision failed to correct to 20/20. Please provide current manifest or cycloplegia refraction for corrections to 20/20". Do they just want me to get glasses or contacts at this point?

exNavyOffRec

Another question: During MEPS they put on my medical records stating that
my near sighted vision is 20/20 for both eyes and
my far sighted vision for my left eye is 20/25 and 30/20 for my right eye.
I know that the worse you can have your eyes uncorrected is 20/40 and it just needs to correct to 20/20

However, since I currently don't wear glasses or contacts my eyes technically don't "correct" to 20/20, but I know it obviously can if I get glasses. My OR received a letter from NRC saying "Applicant's vision failed to correct to 20/20. Please provide current manifest or cycloplegia refraction for corrections to 20/20". Do they just want me to get glasses or contacts at this point?
They need to know your vision can correct to 20/20 and so you will need to get an eye exam where they say "is this better or worse" as they flip through different letters/numbers, I would ask your OR to verify if a report from a civilian eye doc is ok, or if they are saying they want you to get an eye consult via MEPS.

GodSpeed1997

They need to know your vision can correct to 20/20 and so you will need to get an eye exam where they say "is this better or worse" as they flip through different letters/numbers, I would ask your OR to verify if a report from a civilian eye doc is ok, or if they are saying they want you to get an eye consult via MEPS.
Yes my OR told me to schedule an appointment for a full eye exam back at home and to send him all the documents after. After I get cleared for that and my hearing hopefully my package will be submitted ASAP. I’ve heard that some of the applicants for the January board got pushed to the May board so I want to finish my application sooner than later.