• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS LASIK Form

JHuff

Hey all- I was told by my recruiter that I would need to get some paperwork on my LASIK that I had a couple of years ago. I have my full treatment record that has my pre-op and 3- and 6-month post-op, but he also told me that my eye doctor would need to sign a MEPS form. Does anyone know what that is? He told me I could find it online, but I'm not having any luck. I'm trying to get everything together to hopefully get to MEPS this weekend, which is why I'm looking for a quick answer.

shutout39

pilot
I am in Primary right now, enrolled in the LASIK study. I do not remember such a form and looked through my records and couldn't find anything like it. If you're recruiter tells you you need it he should be able to provide it to you.

If you had the right kind of LASIK and you have all the pre and post off stuff and you should be good to go. If you get selected, at your first NAMI flight physical they will do ALL the testing they need to determine if you can get in the Lasik in Aviation Study. Its long, but IMO its pretty lenient as long as you are 20/40 or better. I am 20/30 in one eye and have some scars on both eyes from where they cut the flaps. They've been doing this since 2009 and I think I am the 65th person in the study and they are taking 200. After that I'm sure they'll treat Lasik the same or better than PRK patients.

exNavyOffRec

I am in Primary right now, enrolled in the LASIK study. I do not remember such a form and looked through my records and couldn't find anything like it. If you're recruiter tells you you need it he should be able to provide it to you.

If you had the right kind of LASIK and you have all the pre and post off stuff and you should be good to go. If you get selected, at your first NAMI flight physical they will do ALL the testing they need to determine if you can get in the Lasik in Aviation Study. Its long, but IMO its pretty lenient as long as you are 20/40 or better. I am 20/30 in one eye and have some scars on both eyes from where they cut the flaps. They've been doing this since 2009 and I think I am the 65th person in the study and they are taking 200. After that I'm sure they'll treat Lasik the same or better than PRK patients.

It isn't a form that goes in your medical record, it is basically a way for the MEPS doc to verify.

JHuff

I was hoping to get into MEPS tomorrow, but I can't get a hold of my recruiter. I really want to get everything done before the 31 JAN deadline. My treatment record has my pre and post op information in it, and I've had 20/20 ever since.

BleedGreen

pilot
I was just evaluated by the LASIK in Student Naval Aviators study coordinator and he filled me in on what exactly is required. He required me to have the pre-op measurements, the laser operational report, 3 month post op, and the 6 month post op. Another part of the process that was necessary was an evaluation from a Naval ophthalmologist at one of the designated facilities in the country which is why I was in his office in the first place. At the end of my visit I asked if he could fill out that MEPS LASIK form and he just looked at me funny. I believe the purpose of that form is to make it easier for the doctor at MEPS to compare your measurements to what is outlined in the waiver guidelines but the "screening exam following LASIK" (see attached) does the same thing and has the same questions on it.
I would ask if the "screening exam following LASIK" is sufficient enough. Both forms were pretty similar...

Attachments

• Vision Screening Requirements for Accessions Enclosure 1 Final Nov 08-2.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 38
  • CNAF Study Enrollment Notification for LASIK in Accession Personnel-2.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 18
  • Screening Exam Form Following LASIK - 10 25 2009_B.pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 31

exNavyOffRec

The form he is looking for says USMEPCOM, unless it has changed it talks about post op follow ups and list 1 week, month, several months.

JHuff

Apparently it was just a NY specific firm that had my pre op and 3 and 6 month post op data.

exNavyOffRec

Apparently it was just a NY specific firm that had my pre op and 3 and 6 month post op data.

I thought it was a MEPCOM form, but it could be a specific form each MEPS has made, the data would be the same to conform to what USMEPCOM needs.