• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS blood draw - concerns about passing out

mb1685

This is embarrassing to ask, but will MEPS let you lay down either during or after getting your blood drawn (the latter being very brief, maybe 2-3 minutes)? Would needing that accommodation possibly affect getting PQ?

I had a civilian physical today and got blood drawn for the first time in probably over a decade, and I felt absolutely fine while they were actually drawing the blood, but about 30-45 seconds after they took the needle out, I started getting a bit lightheaded and nauseous (but I had also been fasting for over 12 hours so that might have something to do with it). I put my head down near my knees for a couple of seconds, and then laid down for about 3 minutes or so and drank some water, and then I was fine, but if I had continued sitting or standing, I can't be certain I wouldn't have passed out. (For what it's worth, I've always been squeamish about the prospect of getting blood drawn, so I don't think today would be an isolated incident and that's why I'm concerned about MEPS.)

I don't want to be "that guy" and be a total wimp when I'm there, but I've also heard passing out for any reason is immediately disqualifying, so I'd rather get scoffed at and PQ than pass out or vomit or something and NPQ. Will MEPS help out any or should I just shut up, roll with it, and pray my body cooperates?

EDIT: I suppose this question also applies to flight physicals at OCS, API, etc. too.

exNavyOffRec

This is embarrassing to ask, but will MEPS let you lay down either during or after getting your blood drawn (the latter being very brief, maybe 2-3 minutes)? Would needing that accommodation possibly affect getting PQ?

I had a civilian physical today and got blood drawn for the first time in probably over a decade, and I felt absolutely fine while they were actually drawing the blood, but about 30-45 seconds after they took the needle out, I started getting a bit lightheaded and nauseous (but I had also been fasting for over 12 hours so that might have something to do with it). I put my head down near my knees for a couple of seconds, and then laid down for about 3 minutes or so and drank some water, and then I was fine, but if I had continued sitting or standing, I can't be certain I wouldn't have passed out. (For what it's worth, I've always been squeamish about the prospect of getting blood drawn, so I don't think today would be an isolated incident and that's why I'm concerned about MEPS.)

I don't want to be "that guy" and be a total wimp when I'm there, but I've also heard passing out for any reason is immediately disqualifying, so I'd rather get scoffed at and PQ than pass out or vomit or something and NPQ. Will MEPS help out any or should I just shut up, roll with it, and pray my body cooperates?

EDIT: I suppose this question also applies to flight physicals at OCS, API, etc. too.

I am the same way, sometimes. I just let them know that occasionally I will get light headed, for me talking about something other than the needle in my arm distracts me, and I am fine.

robav8r

None
Contributor
33 years of flight physicals and I still HATE anything with needles and getting my blood drawn. Just laugh about it and make sure you tell the corpsman or nurse ahead of time - you'll be fine :)

jmcquate

Contributor
I have a medical condition that gets me stuck quite a bit. It's all in your head. Tell yourself a story, sing Beatles sons in your head, ask the corpsman/nurse about why they joined the Navy and their experiences. Do whatever you can not to think about it and don't look at the needle.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Passing out whilst getting your blood drawn is pretty common. Not disqualifying for aviation.
R/

exNavyOffRec

I have a medical condition that gets me stuck quite a bit. It's all in your head. Tell yourself a story, sing Beatles sons in your head, ask the corpsman/nurse about why they joined the Navy and their experiences. Do whatever you can not to think about it and don't look at the needle.

oddly enough some of the things you mentioned are exactly what I do.

jmcquate

Contributor
I bleed myself 5 to 8 times a day..........although on a smaller scale. I get 5 blood works a year.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know a single person that enjoys it. I wouldn't worry about it, some of the biggest, strongest guys still get nervous around needles. If you do feel light headed, sit down and put your head between your legs. If you want to get ready for aviation, feel free to do the hick maneuver as you're drawing blood.

Bronco

Lurking Member
I hit the deck when I had my blood drawn at MEPS. I was a little frightened after the morning DI inspired security routine, waddling around in my underwear, and watching everyone before me in line get stuck, etc. They told me that it happens all the time... And they kept me sitting reclined until I was ready to move on with the days testing. They were glad it happened in the chair and that I didn't walk away, get dizzy, then smash my face into some hard, sharp corner of something in the facility.

When I went back to MEPS (after the first expired 2+ years later), I let the guy know what happened before and asked if I could sit for a while after. No prob.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
When I went to MEPS I was so nervous and cold (especially after the underwear olympics) that by the time they tried to draw my blood, my blood vessels were too small/tight for them to hit. They actually wrapped me up in a blanket next to a heater for 30 minutes before they could get the blood.

While I am not expert, I don't think MEPS cares too much about your reaction to needles and the blood drawing process. I think they only care about whether or not they get the blood and if it comes back clean/healthy. Just my opinion though...

mb1685

Wow, those responses definitely make me feel a lot more at ease. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and insights. Glad to hear it's fairly common and not a big deal to the MEPS personnel.

Fermi

I feel your pain; I am a bit needle phobic myself, and I'm going to MEPS in roughly 1.5 weeks. Similar to what xj220 said about the hick maneuver, I have found flexing my legs and abs after an injection helps the lightheaded/passing out feeling. You get that feeling when your blood pressure drops sharply, so flex some of your major muscle groups to raise your blood pressure back to normal.

mb1685

I figured I'd bump this for one last question about MEPS, even though it's not about blood.

Is there a dental check at MEPS or is that not until the flight physical at OCS? I'm in need of a root canal but can't afford it at the moment, but I believe I could manage to get it done before OCS (if selected).