• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS and dealing with prior surgery

tiger84

LT
pilot
I just finished filling out my medical history paperwork for MEPS and the only thing I checked yes for was an arthroscopy procedure I had about 5 years ago to repair a minor meniscal tear. I've already looked through the waiver guide and it's not something that requires a waiver so I'm good to go from that angle. What I'm interested in knowing, hopefully from someone who has gone through with a similar surgery, is what type of paperwork I'm going to have to track down from my surgeon. Is it just a matter of getting him to write me a letter saying I'm medically fit, or am I going to need a new MRI or orthopedic consult? Thanks in advance for the replies. I know there are a bunch of threads regarding MEPS, but the ones I looked through seemed to deal mainly with PRK or more serious issues.

MasterBates

For my scope jobs on both knees, no waivers or notes from the doc were needed. I just had to do the "duck walk" ok, and have normal range of motion.

They just wanted where/when/who for the surgery.

Ben_Dover

Blew out my knee senior year of high school football (ACL, MCL, and meniscus). My recruiter told me it was no big deal and as soon as I was off my crutches and could walk with out a limp, took me up to MEPs. His advice, "don't worry about telling them, you declined to have surgery so they don't need to know anything about it." What an ass that guy was. I took his advice, everything was good to go until the next summer right before I was to ship out to boot camp when my knee pretty much gives out on me and surgery wasn't an option anymore. This was like a week before I was to ship out and of course the Navy is now wondering why I all of a sudden am having knee problems. I had to explain my prior injury and my reasoning for not mentioning it on my initial MEPs physical. They almost didn't allow (or so they say) me to enlist and my career would have been over before it ever even started. Bad deal overall....
Anyhow, to answer your story, they wanted a letter from my doc (because it was such a recent surgery), I had to redo my physical, and that was that. It hasn't been an issue since.
Best of luck to you....

tiger84

LT
pilot
Thanks for the responses. I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I hurt the knee playing football senior year in high school, had it scoped and played again four weeks later. Haven't had any issues since so I should be good to go.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Blew out my right ACL, MCL and MML while I was active. My knee was destroyed. The recruiter told me that the only things needed are my military medical records, a waiver, and of course pass MEPS. I should be good to go but it is a source of anxiety none the less. Your issues sounds minor. Should be fine.