• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mentoring Needed

exNavyOffRec

If i submitted again for this January despite being below the minimum 2.5 for pilot it most likely would get rejected and therefore not even be reviewed by the board as you say. But maybe by some miracle they will read my cover letter and give me a shot at being reviewed by the board. And if the previous responder on my thread said he was accepted with a 2.39 GPA I dont think it would hurt to try. At this point it doesn't seem like i have any other option?

I think you should know how applications are submitted, it is electronically submitted so the first thing that is seen by the processors on the opening screen is the basic info including GPA, scores, etc... if those meet the cut then the actual application is reviewed for accuracy, if the basic info isn't met on the first screen it is rejected right there.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I may take some heat from AW for saying this but... You could enlist, work on your masters while enlisted, and apply for OCS in a couple years. NA might not be an option by then, but NFO is definitely doable.

exNavyOffRec

I may take some heat from AW for saying this but... You could enlist, work on your masters while enlisted, and apply for OCS in a couple years. NA might not be an option by then, but NFO is definitely doable.

There are many enlisted right now that have done that and are still not getting selected, your GPA is your GPA regardless if a person is enlisted or not.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I know that you're right, and I normally agree with most on here that enlisting when your goal is becoming an officer isn't a great idea. But, it seems like the best possible alternative is hoping for SWO and then hoping to lat transfer. From what I saw on AD, it wasn't any harder to get into OCS while enlisted than it is out of college. In your experience, would a couple years of solid evals help a low GPA, or do evals only serve to hurt enlisted applicants?

Zarathustra

I think you should know how applications are submitted, it is electronically submitted so the first thing that is seen by the processors on the opening screen is the basic info including GPA, scores, etc... if those meet the cut then the actual application is reviewed for accuracy, if the basic info isn't met on the first screen it is rejected right there.

NavyOffRec,

Yes I became aware of this the first time it was denied in December. My recruiter was contacted and was pleading my case once he heard my application was kicked back. Do you see any realistic alternative or have any further guidance?

Zarathustra

I know that you're right, and I normally agree with most on here that enlisting when your goal is becoming an officer isn't a great idea. But, it seems like the best possible alternative is hoping for SWO and then hoping to lat transfer. From what I saw on AD, it wasn't any harder to get into OCS while enlisted than it is out of college. In your experience, would a couple years of solid evals help a low GPA, or do evals only serve to hurt enlisted applicants?

Yes that was an option brought to my attention once my application was denied in December. However as NavOffRec stated, a low GPA is a low GPA regardless and by that time I would already have missed the pilot option if I applied for OCS. Not to mention how difficult I have seen it becoming trying to just get to OCS in the first place.
Do you have any further advice or should i start looking into AF and ANG?

exNavyOffRec

Actually when we pulled the data a few years ago by percentage your chances of getting selected while enlisted drop significantly, about 50% overall, some designators buck the trend like IW. We pulled this data because so many enlisted recruiters were saying "join enlisted and you have a better shot of becoming an officer" we rec'd the data from NRC gave it at training at all that stopped.

Historically when you look just at SNA and SNFO the AD applied to AD accepted % is lower than civilian applied to civilian accepted.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

Yes I became aware of this the first time it was denied in December. My recruiter was contacted and was pleading my case once he heard my application was kicked back. Do you see any realistic alternative or have any further guidance?

I would try Army WO program, doesn't require a degree so might be better shot.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Actually when we pulled the data a few years ago by percentage your chances of getting selected while enlisted drop significantly, about 50% overall, some designators buck the trend like IW. We pulled this data because so many enlisted recruiters were saying "join enlisted and you have a better shot of becoming an officer" we rec'd the data from NRC gave it at training at all that stopped.

Historically when you look just at SNA and SNFO the AD applied to AD accepted % is lower than civilian applied to civilian accepted.

Oh wow, sorry I guess I was wrong.

Do you have any further advice or should i start looking into AF and ANG?

I agree with this. I looked into it awhile back while exploring my options.
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
It looks like the age limit is 33, also. I think there are some threads on here with Army guys saying its actually a better deal than being a Regular Line Officer, depending on what you're looking for. Good luck and FWIW, I appreciate your desire to serve.

BackOrdered

Contributor
But, it seems like the best possible alternative is hoping for SWO and then hoping to lat transfer.

There is nothing "best" about it. Going SWO solely to lat-xfer is just not a good "plan A", period.

Go SWO with the intention of being a career SWO and of value to the fleet, EARN YOUR PIN, then worry about your options. In that order.

Zarathustra

NavyOffRec,

I just filled out a form to contact an Army recruiter.

I am trying to exhaust every possible opportunity, design a path and go forth and conquer it. I know i want to be a pilot and i know more than anything i want to serve my country as a pilot. Thank you

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
There is nothing "best" about it. Going SWO solely to lat-xfer is just not a good "plan A", period.

Go SWO with the intention of being a career SWO and of value to the fleet, EARN YOUR PIN, then worry about your options. In that order.

Yes sir, I agree with you 100%. That was pretty much my point. That's why I would advocate, as an enlisted guy, going enlisted and applying for OCS later as opposed to trying for SWO when your hearts not it... Even though it got me negative rep :(

BigRed389

None
Yes sir, I agree with you 100%. That was pretty much my point. That's why I would advocate, as an enlisted guy, going enlisted and applying for OCS later as opposed to trying for SWO when your hearts not it... Even though it got me negative rep :(

Well both are terrible ideas if aviation is the ultimate goal. At this point you're pretty much debating whether it's better to take a bullet to the face or Center Mass.

Hence my original recommendation to talk to the other services, particularly WOFT which "may" not be as picky about academics (which only an Army recruiter will be able to say for sure), gauge level of interest, and reassess.
Sometimes it's better to look for other doors when you find out the first door is jammed.

MasterBates

And I gave you the Bad Gouge rep for encouraging what is pretty much the worst possible route to OCS in terms of the odds.