• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memorable IFS moments & quotes

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
That was hysterical. Definitely reminds me of flying with my old flight instructor who is a retired AF Col./F-16 pilot and instructor.

The man made our 172 do things I didn't think it could. One flight we were around 3500' and just north of NFW...I was training in a g1000 at the time and the annuciator went off: "Traffic. Traffic." I imagine I was doing some sort of maneuver at the time and he says: "I have the controls." The plane went into various different attitudes and we lost some altitude pretty quickly to accomodate the approaching F-18's. Good times.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
And boy does he love popcorn and Coke. I swear he lives off those two on solo flights. I remember watching him down two liters of Coke during a debrief.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As I'm taking off on my 2nd flight ever in IFS, instructor states, "Your flying sucks!" Thank you Captain Obvious.

Ya, now imagine having this said on your PPL checkride.... :watching3

Hey, I was SAFE, I just sucked. Got my PPL that day. :D

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Wowwww...you mean I'm not the only IFS instructor that uses curse words?
makes me feel sooooooooo much better
Rocky

I think I remember you cursing when you got your finger stuck while throwing your apple core out the window at 3k feet.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Close Calls

I had IFS at Milton and had some pretty close calls, specifically mid-air collisions. Once when we were trying to land at PNS, air traffic control almost shoved a 737 up our tail (luckily my instructor could fly the plane and listen to the coms at the same time and heard tower tell us to break off to the right and as we did we looked back and to the left and saw the Boeing break off his approach to the left about 800' away) My second close call was taking out of DeFuniak Springs (just north of Eglin airspace by maybe .5nm). We were at about 600' AGL on our climb out and I saw a quick dark shadow across the cowling and seconds later the loud jet noise of 3 F-15s screaming 500' above us. I told the instructor, "that scared the #$^% out of me!" and he says, "yeah that was pretty cool wasn't it". Hopefully those are the last close calls I ever have.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I had a T-6 fill up a large portion of my windscreen at Bay Minette. T-6 crossed from the upwind across the runway, closer to the school end, and onto the downwind where I was, passing right over top of me. I knew he was coming into the pattern, but I did not expect that.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I'm pretty sure Mr. Miles drank more Coke and Sunkist Orange Soda in the 12 flying days we had than the amount of fuel we burned on those flights. I mean really, I think he was recording gallons of soda instead of fuel!

Either way, here's my memorable quote, from my first flight.

(I am at Vr pulling the nose-up for my first power-on stall)
Mr. Miles: Right rudder...right rudder...RIGHT RUDDER PLEASE!!! You won't like what happens!
Me: I'm trying! (Clearly not trying enough, the nose drops and rotates left into a beautifully terrifying spin)
Mr Miles: ......I'm just gonna let it spin for a bit until you either piss yourself or lose your lunch....let you reflect.
(about 10 seconds later, he recovers it)
Mr. Miles: Ok...what did we learn?
Me: *huff huff huff* That I can hold both my bladder and my lunch in the face of certain death?
Mr. Miles: (clearly disgusted) Uh huh.

Great teacher though, I learned a whole lot in almost no time. I'm seriously considering going back to Eglin for my PPL from him.

I'm pretty sure I was one of the last students to learn from Mr. Miles, just finished IFS with him. If anyone from the IFS office is lurking on the forum, I seriously suggest you hang on to Eglin Aero, and send students there...it's really worth the drive.

Reactions: m26

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Great teacher though, I learned a whole lot in almost no time. I'm seriously considering going back to Eglin for my PPL from him.

If you want to know EXACTLY what it will cost you, PM me. I saved all of my receipts. I figure I can try to write them off somehow.

Yeah, 530 would spin like a motherf*&ker because it was so twisted up--you could see the wrinkles in the sheet metal on the left side of the fuselage. Flying coordinated in straight and level required a one-legged leg press. Being the lazy ass that I am, I just ignored his bitching and flew in a constant forward slip---for all of IFS.

I remember when one of my buddies f'd up a departure stall and we entered a spin to the left. Mr. Miles says, calmly, "so what are you going to do now?" and my buddy puts in a full boot of left rudder.

I was straight-up shitting my pants in the back.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
i just got assigned Mobile this morning and start ground school Monday...one of the LTs came in and said the instructors there are pretty rough, as in he had a handful of people fail stage checks from there...any gouge on this?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I was almost hit by a TH-57 that wasn't looking while on a xcountry out of PNS during IFS. I'll blame Otto.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Yeah, 530 would spin like a motherf*&ker because it was so twisted up--you could see the wrinkles in the sheet metal on the left side of the fuselage. Flying coordinated in straight and level required a one-legged leg press. Being the lazy ass that I am, I just ignored his bitching and flew in a constant forward slip---for all of IFS.

My two flights in 874 were the only two flights where that f***ing ball was in the f***ing cage...too bad both of them were with Ms. Becker. Those landings were PERFECT to boot.

On the upside, my right leg is nice and strong now from all that right ruddering...

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
i just got assigned Mobile this morning and start ground school Monday...one of the LTs came in and said the instructors there are pretty rough, as in he had a handful of people fail stage checks from there...any gouge on this?

When I did IFS, there was an ENS that went off the runway on his first solo at Mobile. Apparently, Mobile had told NASC they didn't want to let him solo, but NASC just sent him right back... He's the only one I know of and I think he ended up attriting (apparently, flying wasn't for him). Everyone else I knew at Mobile was just fine.

torpedo0126

i had Moblie. it was fine. The ground school instructor sucks and wastes your time. A few of the FAA examiners can be picky, but they won't give you 4s for it. they just let you know its not the best could be done.

only real bad part was the drive when i couldn't get a van.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I did not go through IFS, and haven't made it to OCS yet, but while flying over the summer, I've had plenty of notable occasions with my instructor. As I said earlier, my former instructor is a retired Col. and F-16 pilot...he's flown everything since Vietnam.

We were flying into FTW around 6:30-7am and practicing soft-field landings. My instructor tells me to "put it down on the numbers," he wants me to "put it down on the numbers...my daughter did this the other day, perfectly, you'd better be able to hack it." Well, ATC cleared me to land and I was freakin' out b/c I wanted to hit the numbers, I couldn't let his 16 y/o daughter out fly me...landed a good 5-10' ahead of the numbers and ATC comes on..."man, that was an excellent landing. I mean, I've seen tons of them, and it looked good. that was a good landing." Feeling somewhat good about myself, I turn to my instructor who doesn't hesitate..."I wonder how much they paid him to say that." So, I asked, "Meacham Tower, N2446F, my instructor wants to know...how much were you paid to say that?" "46F, it was good and tell him I wish I could get paid." Chip turns to me and under his breath says, "yea...it was good."

Like most: "Right Rudder!! RIGHT RUDDER!!! RIGHT RUDDER!!!!! What part of RIGHT RUDDER DONT YOU UNDERSTAND!? I SAY RIGHT RUDDER GIVE IT RIGHT RUDDER...I've got the plane."

Traffic calls were interesting...I had mic fright for a while. "What the hell kind of call was that?"

Crossing Navy Airspace...drew a blank. "Navy tower, N2446F, requesting permission to fly across your airspace at 2500 and cross midfield to Meacham." Navy, "you want to transition?" Chip, "what a dickweed...he knew what you were saying. there was no reason for him to waste air time to ask if you were transitioning...you didn't say it "correctly" but you made it clear..."

"I said you have no power, why are you giving it power?" "my bad."

And the day's end with a 6 pack of Shiner and a nice long debriefing covering everything I had done wrong. Good times.