• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Memoirs of a Nam' Cav Scout Pilot - good online read

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Yeah, it starts off a little slow but it sure gets good if you're willing to invest some time. Those OH6 pilots are something else.

Being a young buck, it is really cool to read about what previous generations have gone through. I got a kick out of his commentary on working with the Marine Corps F4 aviators and the 1st Recon folks. I also enjoyed reading about the O-club shenanigans. I didn't know that they served alcohol out there, which of course, I think is fantastic. Still looking for the alcohol and the beach at Camp Leatherneck.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it starts off a little slow but it sure gets good if you're willing to invest some time. Those OH6 pilots are something else.

Being a young buck, it is really cool to read about what previous generations have gone through. I got a kick out of his commentary on working with the Marine Corps F4 aviators and the 1st Recon folks. I also enjoyed reading about the O-club shenanigans. I didn't know that they served alcohol out there, which of course, I think is fantastic. Still looking for the alcohol and the beach at Camp Leatherneck.

Right! Was a lot tougher "back in the day". Of course, everyone was aware our bird farms were (cough, cough) dry ...BONE DRY!!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right! Was a lot tougher "back in the day". Of course, everyone was aware our bird farms were (cough, cough) dry ...BONE DRY!!

Bone dry indeed! Yes it is a good thing the below photo was taken "on the beach," and not onboard our RIO's JO Bunkroom, O-1 level of the USS Midway in 1972. Otherwise these "Magellans" pictured could all be liable for a Court Martial! .... Seriously. Even back in the day.

[PS- It appears from the photo, our F-4 fighter RO's seemed to like to get way too close to each other. Conversely we F-4 fighter pilots always maintained our usual, don't-ever-f'n-invade-my-space, 2-feet minimum buffer.] :cool:

Nevertheless, these guys could - and indeed did - always do the job, even under intense enemy fire. God bless them! ( They are all grandfathers now, and we all still remain in touch.)

4310311sta.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

BONE DRY...exactly! Taken on CONNIE in BzB's stateroom (hive), practicing just prior to liberty in Hong Kong...06/72.
Hugh & Butch.jpg
BzB