• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meeting an OSO for first time

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
Meeting the OSO

Alright, back to bother everyone again
I'm meeting a local OSO on Wednesday, in case you haven't read my first post my goal is to become a pilot. In that regard, are there any questions I should be sure to ask, or anything I should be looking out for? Thanks

Chris

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
Chris, not really. Just ask for the jist of the program, which you can mostly get here. There's no "special deals" or big hidden catches that you have to watch out for. Just make sure he spells everything out simply enough that you know exactly what the program is. It's a relatively simple and common sense process. I'd say the biggest worry is that if you're going aviation and for a guaranteed contract, watch out that you meet all the standards. This means eyes, physical, can pass the astb and whatnot. So just keep shooting off questions about anything you're concerned or interested with. Oh and be sure to ask him about what % get jets. :D :D

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
just make sure that you ask as many question as you need to. Write down any that you may have now. Right now, you think that you may remember your questions, but you may forget. Plus having stuff prepared and written down will make it look like your actually somewhat serious about it. Won't score you any points, but at least you wont look like an idiot spending 5 minutes trying to remember stuff that you wanted to know.

Any keep asking questions on here if you get stuck on something. I know many times that "stupid" questions that people asked made me realize certain things about the programs, applying, etc.

batman527

Banned
cWood30 said:
I'd say the biggest worry is that if you're going aviation and for a guaranteed contract, watch out that you meet all the standards. This means eyes, physical, can pass the astb and whatnot.

Good call on asking about standards. My first question was what exactly a "qualified application" entailed. That is, "what's the only way to land the magical Flight Contract that is so vehemently pursued?"

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
If you want to be a pilot, then tell him that's what you want, and don't settle for NFO unless you're medically disqualified for pilot. Ask a lot of questions, and if it doesn't sound right then ask to talk to someone in his pool that's been there done that. Another thing you can do is ask him to get you in contact with an actual pilot that can answer all your flight questions.

movian

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I didn't find the information I was really looking for.

When going to meet an OSO, what would be the best things to say, dress, and do in order to make the best impression? I was planning on going to an office and asking about the required steps I would need to do in order to get into Marine Rotary as a pilot. I'm currently a junior in college and looking to do OCS after graduating.

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks.

schwarti

Contributor
You're right, it has been discussed many times before. :D Generally, though, wear khakis, a collared shirt, and a decent pair of shoes. Use an iron beforehand, and polish your shoes if they need it. Look neat. Say sir/ma'am and don't slouch. Basically, be polite, don't have your collar flipped up and try to relax. Also, search around the forums here, there's a lot that's been said about this, and I just sort of rehashed a little of it for you.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You can wear anything you want, but I would recommend wearing something like a polo shirt with some jeans. Introduce yourself and tell them exactly what you said here - that you are interested in Marine aviation. Look through AW and make a list of questions you have. Some OSO offices are in need of candidates more than others - meaning that you might be a shoe in if you meet the standards OR you might be competing hard for slots. You will be evaluated from day one, so make the right first impression. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM. Good luck.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Be yourself, call them sir/ma'am. Be polite to the enlisted staff.

MettGT

pilot
Personally, I wore a suit and tie when I first met my OSO. At a minimum, I'd wear khakis and a collared shirt.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a job interview for a professional career. Treat it as such. The way you look and act makes a long lasting impression. I am not sure why this is lost on some folks.

If I were a recruiter and someone showed up in a hoodie, shorts, and sandals, their paperwork would end up in the circular file.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Don't forget to give him a package check. Marines like that. They're always trying to prove they have big balls.

Yut, Yut Devil Dog! :D