• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Med's

kendallbea183

I have been given the option to take Aderall, a stimulant, for ADHD, or xanex for depression/anxiety. My phycyatrist is still trying to determine which it is I need. I was wondering, what does this mean,

"stimulant medication to maintian attention and decrease hyperactivity is imcompatible with aviation duty"

Does this mean if I ever take ADHD meds such as Adderall, I cannot ever fly?

Also, if I were to take either medication, what would be the chances I would get a waiver, or be able to fly fixed wings like I'd love to do?

If anyone can help me with this I really really would appreciate it... I have to make this decision soon, and I want to fly really bad, and dont want to mess it up for me...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So are you ADHD or depressed?

I have been given the option to take Aderall, a stimulant, for ADHD, or xanex for depression/anxiety. My phycyatrist is still trying to determine which it is I need.

Adderal is an Amphetamine. It is used for ADHD.

Taking this medication is not good if you want to fly. You'd need several years symptom for quite some time and need doctors statements to the same before you'd even be considered.

schwarti

Contributor
Several years symptom-free. :D

As far as I'm aware, if you're currently on any behavioral meds, you're not going to get a waiver. If you're off of them for a significant period of time, but have used them in the past, you can get a waiver. That's not for SNA/SNFO, jets/helo/props, or even for a commission - that's for service, period. (Had an enlisted recruiter tell me that as well as an officer recruiter.)

I'm not a doctor or mental health professional, and I'm sure not the authority on waivers for this or anything, but I would not count on getting a waiver if you start taking these meds. In the end, it's up to you and your doctor.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So, am I the only one that notices that it's the diagnosed ADHD guys that keep asking the same question over and over again? Wait, what?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I'm not a doctor or mental health professional, and I'm sure not the authority on waivers for this or anything

I second that. But in my personal, non-professional opinion, if your biography is still accurate and you're only a sophomore in high school, and if medications are truly necessary for your mental well-being, maybe this should be at the front of your mind when you're still 6-7 years away from maybe heading to Pensacola. I'd think you'd have a better (and this is where you need to look at the disclaimer) chance applying if you used to be a little crazy rather than he's still pretty crazy now. I think I remember you posting about how you were going through a traumatic experience or something along those lines. If it's going to be a temporary thing, take care of yourself. All I'm saying is you don't want anything to spiral out of control because you refuse help because of a dream of Naval Aviation.

Get your mind on track with some psychiatric help junior/senior year of h.s., head to college and apply four years symptom free. Just my personal, non-professional .02

kendallbea183

I'm in junior year, If I took adhd medication, it would help me and I would get off these meds end of senior year. I would apply for ROTC scholarships tho, and try to attend ROTC. Worst comes to worst, I will use a couple of other scholarships to pay for my first year, I will take the ROTC classes I believe, and reapply for the ROTC scholarship freshman year in college for the 3 year scholarship... Then I will either get it or not, but I want to take ROTC for the rest of college, and commision and go into flight school... whats the longest I could take these meds, or whens a good time to stop taking them ect?

MasterBates

IMHO, you don't need drugs. You just need to force yourself to focus. I study with the radio blaring. Sometimes radio + TV.. Right now I am typing on AW, in Chat, listening to Iron Maiden Powerslave and studying EPs.

Use you ADD to Multi-Task, instead of artificially busying your brain with drugs.

If you "need" drugs to focus, this is not the job for you.

-MasterBates <--- Diagnosed ADD/ADHD, but got by without drugs.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMHO, you don't need drugs. You just need to force yourself to focus. I study with the radio blaring. Sometimes radio + TV.. Right now I am typing on AW, in Chat, listening to Iron Maiden Powerslave and studying EPs.

Use you ADD to Multi-Task, instead of artificially busying your brain with drugs.

If you "need" drugs to focus, this is not the job for you.

-MasterBates <--- Diagnosed ADD/ADHD, but got by without drugs.

I'm sorry who said that???
Cruise180507_468x499.jpg

:) of course...

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If your condition is such that you really need the drugs, it seems to me that you should take them, regardless of what it will do for your SNA hopes. You're sick; you seek treatment. Seems a little silly to opt out of necessary medical treatment for a serious condition for any reason. Would you forgo chemo for your cancer if it would disqualify you, since you might be able to make it through with just radiation and leafy greens? If you really need these meds, then chances are that you won't be able to get into the Navy without them either, since psychiatric conditions are kind of a concern. (Well, maybe not if you wanted to go helos. ;) )

If you can get by w/o, then it makes sense to do so, but not just because of your military aspirations.

Either way, it seems like you should make this decision without regard to flying or commisioning, and base it soley on your medical condition.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Psychiatry.pdf "Applicants or designated aircrew with ADD/ADHD who have not taken medication for 12 months and who remain symptom free may be considered for waiver."

IF you were my kid, I would tell you to consider your overall health your #1 priority...get that second opinion, always wise, to see if ADHD is indeed a part of your makeup for now.

Take care of these health issues, then apply. I think you have plenty of time to deal with it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have been given the option to take Aderall, a stimulant, for ADHD, or xanex for depression/anxiety. My phycyatrist is still trying to determine which it is I need. I was wondering, what does this mean,

"stimulant medication to maintian attention and decrease hyperactivity is imcompatible with aviation duty"

Does this mean if I ever take ADHD meds such as Adderall, I cannot ever fly?

Also, if I were to take either medication, what would be the chances I would get a waiver, or be able to fly fixed wings like I'd love to do?

If anyone can help me with this I really really would appreciate it... I have to make this decision soon, and I want to fly really bad, and dont want to mess it up for me...

I had a buddy who had an academy friend who had a history of taking Aderall, and he got waivered for aviation, but he was stuck with Helos.

Good luck!

red_ryder

None
My humble opinion, if you can get along without it, try to get off it. Being on speed every day is not good for your body, and probably contributes to your anxiety. (which contributes to your xanax)

cgoetz

I have the same situation as the gentlemen who started this forum. However my issue is with ADD NOT ADHD and depression. I use to take medications but that was well over a year ago. I have a statement from a doctor that says I'm stable for the depression. I was reading the waiver guide and it says that if I you had depression you can get a waiver. Can anyone tell me if that waiver is applicable for becoming a SNA/SNFO or does that just for becoming an officer or getting into the navy period. I am a little curious because it sounds like if you have depression you can't get into aviation at all.