• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medically Disqualified?

Dzien

I've gone through my local MEPS as one of the very last phases of my application steps, after an earlier physical became dated, found to be medically qualified, but today (nearly 3 months after MEPS), I received a letter stating that I am medically disqualified from any military service due to a "history of alcohol abuse".

Now, the back story is I had a DUI back in 2012, and have since completed all court-ordered sanctions, including re-instating my operator's license. I have never heard anything of the sense that a single incident is medically disqualifying, since I have well learned my lesson, and have no other alcohol or drug related offenses on my record.

I had been required to provide additional documentation from a focus group I attended, as part of the process the State of Florida requires for all persons to reinstate their license to supplement my medical records...knowing full-well I had successfully completed the process.

That said, I have a feeling I either failed to receive a required medical waiver for this incident, or something has been mishandled. Due to the fact this is the holiday season, I figure I won't have a chance to speak with my Officer Recruiters office for a few weeks, but I wanted to preempt my defense, if options exist to contest this.

I've been in this application process for about 2 years and nothing has been said or suggested that this single incident would be a show-stopper, having been found medically qualified dating back to 6 months after the incident.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. This is something I have been wanting for a very long time, and I won't give up on my goal to serving this country until every last option has been exhausted.

exNavyOffRec

I have had experience with this with a couple applicants, one did have an alcohol incident and completed all requirements, the other had no incidents but both had to have consults done due to questions they answered at MEPS, both were cleared by MEPS but both were DQ'd by N3M for alcohol abuse due to the medical documents/evaluations that talked about their history of alcohol use.

So the DQ is probably not from the incident, but from what was in the documents.

I can tell you that the one that had no incidents disclosed that she would have a glass of wine each night with dinner.

A third not mentioned above rec'd the same result after disclosing that every Saturday during football season he and his buddies would get together and watch football and that he would drink about 6 beers during that time.

none of the above ever had the diagnosis overturned.

Dzien

So, even though no psychological or medical diagnosis has ever been professionally made of my person, N3M saw this as a non-waiverable issue due to the the documents provided? Am I able to submit anything to contest or request reconsideration? I take it this is the end of the road, if not.

exNavyOffRec

So, even though no psychological or medical diagnosis has ever been professionally made of my person, N3M saw this as a non-waiverable issue due to the the documents provided? Am I able to submit anything to contest or request reconsideration? I take it this is the end of the road, if not.

They read something in the documents that you provided, you can try to get it overturned but of the 3 I mentioned 2 tried to overcome it and had positive reviews but were never cleared, if it were me I would still try, but I would not count on getting it overturned.

Dzien

They read something in the documents that you provided, you can try to get it overturned but of the 3 I mentioned 2 tried to overcome it and had positive reviews but were never cleared, if it were me I would still try, but I would not count on getting it overturned.
Thank you for the clarification.
What would be the first step to get that process started? In my scenario, I am willing and able to have the source of the documents provide additional notes on their professional opinion of my outlook with regards to future alcohol-related incidents. I am willing to fight for this goal until I have tried everything.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the clarification.
What would be the first step to get that process started? In my scenario, I am willing and able to have the source of the documents provide additional notes on their professional opinion of my outlook with regards to future alcohol-related incidents. I am willing to fight for this goal until I have tried everything.

When we tried to overcome the other ones what N3M told us is that it would need to be new evaluations that would essentially say that the original diagnosis was incorrect, so you would need to have a doctor (probably a few) that given the exact information you gave the last doctor or person that evaluated you come to a different conclusion (no alcohol issues).

The other fun thing is the doctor you see may not think you have a problem, but if N3M reads the documents and thinks you do have a problem, then you do in their eyes.

Dzien

When we tried to overcome the other ones what N3M told us is that it would need to be new evaluations that would essentially say that the original diagnosis was incorrect, so you would need to have a doctor (probably a few) that given the exact information you gave the last doctor or person that evaluated you come to a different conclusion (no alcohol issues).

The other fun thing is the doctor you see may not think you have a problem, but if N3M reads the documents and thinks you do have a problem, then you do in their eyes.
That disturbs me since the only supplemental documents I provided to MEPS were those from my successful completion of the evaluation.

I imagine if I were to go back to my original "provider" and request an evaluation and submitted the results of said evaluation to MEPS, I would have a leg to stand on. My only concern would be that they stick with their initial impression for the sake of precedence and don't take any new information into account. At some point it's a matter of turning away anyone with a smudge on their record from OCS, which I can understand, but medically DQ from service seems a little harsh considering the United States has a "correctional" court system...and my documented sincerity to serve since 2010.

I have full confidence that all things disclosed to a new medical evaluation staff, that I would be found competent, rehabilitated, and fit to serve in a leadership role. Who should I contact to begin this process, my OR or MEPS?

exNavyOffRec

That disturbs me since the only supplemental documents I provided to MEPS were those from my successful completion of the evaluation.

I imagine if I were to go back to my original "provider" and request an evaluation and submitted the results of said evaluation to MEPS, I would have a leg to stand on. My only concern would be that they stick with their initial impression for the sake of precedence and don't take any new information into account. At some point it's a matter of turning away anyone with a smudge on their record from OCS, which I can understand, but medically DQ from service seems a little harsh considering the United States has a "correctional" court system...and my documented sincerity to serve since 2010.

I have full confidence that all things disclosed to a new medical evaluation staff, that I would be found competent, rehabilitated, and fit to serve in a leadership role. Who should I contact to begin this process, my OR or MEPS?

You need to go through your OR who would submit to N3M

It does not matter that you were successful, it is what happened in the past, if they believe that you had a problem in the past even though you are fine now you can still be DQ'd, this is true for many medical issues that is why many things in the medical manual will say "currently or history of".

topgun1066

NavyOffRec,

So what is a safe amount of alcohol use to actually write on these documents? I definitely don't have a glass of wine every night with dinner, I actually think that's too much. But I do have some beers occasionally with friends. I am in college after all. I feel like writing "I do not consume alcohol" is will be perceived as BS and will raise red flags.. Or am I reading too much into this?

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

So what is a safe amount of alcohol use to actually write on these documents? I definitely don't have a glass of wine every night with dinner, I actually think that's too much. But I do have some beers occasionally with friends. I am in college after all. I feel like writing "I do not consume alcohol" is will be perceived as BS and will raise red flags.. Or am I reading too much into this?

you never know, that is the crappy part, but whatever you put down before you can't change, we would look at what we were seeing people get DQ for as far as alcohol abuse and pretty much their usage was minimal compared to everyone I have known in the USN.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

and if you put down "I don't consume alcohol" then given your background they will go "is that because you realized you have an alcohol problem" so that goes down another path you don't want to go down.

lenninscjay

Red-headed stepchild (MH-53)
NavyOffRec,

I'd guess its probably best to just put none...

NavyOffRec you would have a better feel for it than me, but for the uninitiated it looks like it could easily be a liability thing. Its much easier to cover your ass if someone really messes up by trashing a multi-million dollar jet and it was reported that they had a drink a few hours/the night before. At least you can say 'we had no inclination to believe they consumed alcohol' and pull the paperwork to back it up... even if their common sense says otherwise. Granted, of course, that you have no documented/reported history of alcohol consumption in the past.

For what it's worth, I do know one guy who just finished primary without ever consuming a drop of alcohol in his life and probably never will. Good guy though.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Ok sports fans, here are you two answers for alcohol use in the Navy for physicals and clearances, because you'll see it again if you get in and stay in...

You either (1) Don't drink or (2) Drink only occasionally, in social settings. 2-3 drinks.

If you tell them you hit a case of beer every weekend watching football, love doing shots off skinny sorority girls belly buttons, followed by keg stands... Well then if you are that stupid then you deserve to get some grief...

Then add in a DUI, well foooogetabout it!

Again, two choices listed above.

Pick one and stick with it.